It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown Languages

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Does anybody else remember scribbling unknown languages on paper in school when they were bored? Does anybody else remember being told they are speaking foreign or unknown languages while asleep at night?
Anybody else interested in the subject in general?

1. Some Unknown Languages

* Several unknown languages are said to have been discovered by Aurel Stein in Central Asia, this being one of them:

* One of the most popular unknown and un-decoded languages is the Voynich Manuscript found in an old Jesuit library:

2. Glossolalia

Glossolalia or speaking in tongues is the vocalizing of fluent speech-like, but unintelligible utterances, often as part of religious practice. Its use (including use in this article) also embraces Xenoglossy - speaking in a natural language that was previously unknown to the speaker.

3. Xenoglossy

Xenoglossy pronounced /ˈzinəglɒsi/ (from Greek ξενογλωσσία - xenoglossia, from ξένος - xenos, "foreign" + γλώσσα - glossa, "tongue, language") is the putative paranormal phenomenon in which a person is able to speak a language that he or she could not have acquired by natural means. For example, a person who speaks German fluently and like a native, but has never studied German, been to a German-speaking country, or associated with German-speakers, would be said to exhibit xenoglossy.

psychiatrist Professor Ian Stevenson has documented several cases which he considers authentic

Czech wakes up after crash,speaking perfect English

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Anybody except me disgusted by this brief and totally ignorant entry in the Skeptics Dictionary on the subject...

Xenoglossy is the alleged speaking or writing in a language entirely unknown to the speaker. The probability of this happening is about zero.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
i'm not at all disgusted, the probability is about zero, but the universe doesn't give a crap about that, it still happens.

i guess it just goes to show that all the supposed logic of skepticism is worth exactly nothing in the grand scheme of a chaotic universe.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The Seeress of Prevorst was a 19th century German clairvoyant "who,in her anorexic trances, could hear "whispers" from the world of spirit as she hovered on the borderline between life and death."

She spoke and wrote in what was supposed to be the language of angels. I found this example from the coast to coast site.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by misterglad]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Glossolalia is a fascinating subject. What do you think of this video?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Ian: Amazing. Strange.

Im not going to say I like what I see there, but I think its worth investigating the question what is really happening here?

I´d suspect that neither the tongue-speakers themselves nor the skeptics know.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Way cool post, I am nerdy enough that I really like making up languages and alphabets in my spare time. I try to use them in the stories I write.

Speaking in tongues in the Evangelical sense never impressed me. Anyone can start speaking gibberish, especially if they are excited enough to not get embarrased. That is not a gift, let a lone a spiritual one.

Xenoglossy is very interesting though. I suppose to go out on a limb reincarnation co uld explain osme of that? Perhaps also it is possible to be psychic or intuitive enough that you can understand the emotional meaning of a person's tone of voice, not their words.

I have also heard of people writing inlanguages that they did not understand, too.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I still do this.

When I allow my "inner self" a chance to come out, I write in three distinct scripts, with each one being more complicated than the first. From what I can grasp:

1. The first one (easiest) is written using syllables. Or rather, each sylable has it's own character.

2. The second writes complete words, as one written character.

3. The third shows that each character is actually an expression or sentence.

I have done pages of each, and have found that there are some common elements or characters in their structure; I have even met some people who can write using the same script... we've held "conversations" with each other by writing.

Now, I've always seen this language (if you will) as having spiritual connotations, in that those that write "my" script all have the belief of guardians, gates, and the return of an ancient race to reclaim this world (coming from different realms of reality).

It could very well be just an other example of a collective memory.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I know what I think of this video, but writing it would be against the T & C, I believe. So I will just say that mass hysteria among a bunch of religious nutcases isn't excactly a pretty sight.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
"Speaking in Tongues" is not only done by christian sects. Its been practiced since a long time, by afircan tribal cults for example.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Mass hysteria can occur in any kind of group. Religious or not. It still isn't a pretty sight. And this "speaking in tongue" business is pure BS. It is hysteria. Plain and simple.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Its not a pretty sight...but that doesnt explain whats going on and why this state was induced.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sebarud

Is it? I think that one way of looking at what happens is as a 'disconnect', between the language-composing part of the brain, and the conscious/rational part of the brain. Consider other similar things, such as automatic writing. I don't think it's pure hysteria.

I've found that sometimes, when I try and calm my mind to meditate, my thoughts will still be running around, composing my internal narrative, unwilling to calm. At this point, I sometimes deliberately enter into a state of 'internal glossolalia', which I find can 'reset' the flow of thought-jumping. Then, it's much easier to slow, silence, and calm the mind from that state, once the urge of the mind to address the concrete has been stilled.

Maybe the same can be true for spiritual experiences? The 'speaking in tongues' allows the rational mind to 'get out of the way' of the experience? Also interesting is the idea that, because these languages are ununderstandable to the speaker, perhaps that allows the communication of intuitive information, without the imposition of the filters of the individual.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Could there be a link between the recent studies in how our brains are wired for belief and the stimulating of the language centers in the brain during a moment of "spiritual ecstasy"?

Here's a study on brain activity during glossolalia:
Language Center of The Brain Is Not Under the Control of Subjects Who "Speak In Tongues"

Newberg went on to explain, "These findings could be interpreted as the subject's sense of self being taken over by something else. We, scientifically, assume it's being taken over by another part of the brain, but we couldn't see, in this imaging study, where this took place. We believe this is the first scientific imaging study evaluating changes in cerebral activity -- looking at what actually happens to the brain -- when someone is speaking in tongues. This study also showed a number of other changes in the brain, including those areas involved in emotions and establishing our sense of self."

Newberg concludes that the changes in the brain during speaking in tongues reflect a complex pattern of brain activity. Newberg suggests that since this is the first study to explore this, future studies will be needed to confirm these findings in an attempt to demystify this fascinating religious phenomenon.

This of course begs the question are we really in control of our brains to begin with.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
reply to post by sebarud

I think that one way of looking at what happens is as a 'disconnect', between the language-composing part of the brain, and the conscious/rational part of the brain.

Oh, really? Seems to me that the person with the microphone in your video was connected enough to suddenly speak English when he wanted someone carried up to the stage. Then he went on with his "spiritual" tongue speaking... Strange, don't you think?

But I'm sure he got the people in his audience to pay up for his impressive performance. He managed to create quite a mass hysteria there. But that is OK, I guess? The con-artist gets his wallet filled, and the poor suckers in the audience think they have bought themselves a nice little lot in heaven. That is usually the way it goes with these kinds of circus acts.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sebarud

I'm not saying it's "okay" or "not okay", I'm just examining the phenomena.

For those interested, the clip is from the documentary Jesus Camp. It's very eye-opening and potentially scary, if you're not familiar with that particular religious culture. Not to get off-topic here, but check it out.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Maybe the same can be true for spiritual experiences? The 'speaking in tongues' allows the rational mind to 'get out of the way' of the experience? Also interesting is the idea that, because these languages are ununderstandable to the speaker, perhaps that allows the communication of intuitive information, without the imposition of the filters of the individual.

I believe this to be the case because I`ve experienced moments in which I´ve spoken or "channeled" foreign languages in states of trance, "when the mind was out of the way".

The Pentecostal-Church and Voodoo-Priests version of it seem a bit sinister to me though...but maybe Im mistaken.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I am very familiar with this religious culture. I know it from the inside. And that is excactly why it makes me sick. Enough said.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sebarud

Look...Im not pleased with it either. But there might just be more to it than hysteria.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I have been around a couple different people who have started speaking in tongues and it was really creepy. Might I mention, I knew the people and on 2 seperate occasions.

Also, HP Blavatsky was said to have been given the ability to speak and read Sanscript. I do not know if that is in fact true.

EDit: Typo

Returned after hissy fit.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by cindymars]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join