It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill would drop travel restrictions to Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I find this quite funny, considering I predicted this, due to Cuba finding 20 Billion Barrel's oil within their borders in Oct. 08.

see link to article: Cuba Finds 20 bn barrel Oil Field

Mother nature, it emerged this week, appears to have blessed the island with enough oil reserves to vault it into the ranks of energy powers. The government announced there may be more than 20bn barrels of recoverable oil in offshore fields in Cuba's share of the Gulf of Mexico, more than twice the previous estimate.

If confirmed, it puts Cuba's reserves on par with those of the US and into the world's top 20. Drilling is expected to start next year by Cuba's state oil company Cubapetroleo, or Cupet.

"It would change their whole equation. The government would have more money and no longer be dependent on foreign oil," said Kirby Jones, founder of the Washington-based US-Cuba Trade Association. "It could join the club of oil exporting nations."

So, I emailed this article to friends and family and said at that time....

Watch the U.S. will FAST try and become Cuba's friend once more, I also said, if I was Cuba - I would tell the U.S. to get lost!

Well, funny funny - look at a bill we have in Congress now...... seems the U.S. is reaching out with an Olive Branch after 46 years!

Oh, could the U.S., being doing this out of the goodness of their hearts? I wonder...........hhhmmm - lets think about that........................NO

The U.S, will try and get a foot hold into Cuba now, so Exxon, Mobil or Shell can get ahold of that oil field!

So, here we go...

link to article: www.sun-sentinel.com...

The Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives on Feb. 4 would allow American citizens unrestricted travel to Cuba for the first time since 1963. The bill by Rep. William Delahunt, D-Mass., and eight co-sponsors would also lift limits on travel by Cuban exiles living in the United States. The president would not be able to regulate travel to the island unless an armed conflict or armed danger arises.

So, all bets are off, personally, if I was Cuba, I would look at this VERY suspiously!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You made a prediction...now its my turn... Mr. Hugo Chavez is waiting, watching this and salivating. This is his big chance. American petroleum companies will be all over this and once they get thier greedy little hooks in...Chavez will hold another of his Anti-america conferences calling on Cuba to halt oil cooperation with these companies. The companies will incentivize Cuba more and get half the product it paid for . JM2c

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Doesn't a bill come up almost every year asking to drop all travel restrictions and embargo's to Cuba? I remember hearing of one before but they always cite Communism as the reason not to pass it.
I, for one, would LOVE to visit this island. I've hears it's quite beautiful

[edit on 11-2-2009 by TXRabbit]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Doesn't a bill come up almost every year asking to drop all travel restrictions and embargo's to Cuba? I remember hearing of one before but they always cite Communism as the reason not to pass it.

It's not Communism they cite, it's human rights. That sorta goes hand in hand. It's also Cuba's relationship with several countries that have been very antagonistic against the US over the years as problematic such as Communist Russia trying to use them as a military outpost, now North Korea at one point doing the same, and in addition, Iran. In addition, when Cuba went Communist, they seized a lot of US assets. That has been squandered to the point there is no way they could ever repay or restore it. So, it's not a simple of matter of their choice of government style that's been the issue. I'd like to a friendly Cuba to visit and deal with, inclusing the possible petroleum, but then again, there are a whole bunch of very beautiful islands in the Caribbean that aren't ripped apart by poverty. Aruba's my personal favorite.

I, for one, would LOVE to visit this island. I've hears it's quite beautiful.

Fly to Canada, then Cuba. It's easy to do. If you run into problems in Cuba tho, don't expect a whole lot of help from the US.

new topics

top topics

join