It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting stoned to death in the bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Getting stoned if you touch the holy things:

Whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death. Exodus 19:13

Getting stoned if you take accursed things:

Achan ... took of the accursed thing. ... And all Israel stoned him with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones. ... So the LORD turned from the fierceness of his anger. Joshua 7:1-26

Getting stoned if you curse or blaspheme:

And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him. Leviticus 24:16

Getting stoned if you're raped and don't scream:

If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. Deuteronomy 22:23-24

Getting stoned if you're an ox and gore a human:

If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned. Exodus 21:28

Getting stoned if you marry when not a virgin:

If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her ... and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate: And the damsel's father shall say ... these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city. ... But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die. Deuteronomy 22:13-21

Getting stoned if you worship other gods:

If there be found among you ... that ... hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them ... Then shalt thou ... tone them with stones, till they die. Deuteronomy 17:2-5

If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers ... thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 13:5-10

Getting stoned if you disobey your father:

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Getting stoned if you're a wizard or a witch:

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27

Getting stoned if you give Molech your kids:

Whosoever ... giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones. Leviticus 20:2

Getting stoned if you're a sabbath breaker:

They found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. ... And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones.... And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses. Numbers 15:32-56

Getting stoned if you curse the dictator:

Thou didst blaspheme God and the king. And then carry him out, and stone him, that he may die. 1 Kings 21:10

dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com...

Isn't this rather of a lot of 'getting stoned' for seemingly everyday,trivial or nonsensical offences?

Due to the 'obscene violence and graphic publication law' should be realy allowing children to read about how righteous it is for people to be getting stoned?

Mod edit: title to more accurately reflect the true topic

[edit on 2/11/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Sorry, but

Not what I was expecting.

Edit: Title was changed, not so funny anymore.

Peace

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That got the Dylan song stuck in my mind!

The stories back then were replaced by the newer ones by the beginning of the first millennium. Those newer ones are old now.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
i was hoping a differnt kind of stoned..._javascript:icon('
')

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Young children responses aside above me.

I'm going to explain this, please try and understand it. God cancles out sin by pain. So by stoning to death, yes it's harsh, good Lord I know it is, but God allowed a soul to pay for sin instead of go to hell and at the same time die for their crime.

Now at the same time, there were stonings that were not unto death but penance.

As for the animals, it was because the owner didn't keep proper eye on it so it had to die with it's owner for killing another man.

Now the reason it's not in the NT era is because forgiveness is now through Christ blood which means those offenses are now forgiven in a full manner as compared to the OT times.

And so penance can be done on Earth, you see because Christ works through people now, and they can pay the amount on Earth and be forgiven.

And I know for a fact, from what I have felt within my soul since I knew God from before I knew him. I grew up ruthless. God changed my heart, and (his) grace truly changed me. I'm speaking from experience here.

In so many ways I cannot explain.

So that love is in him and only him, and why he does what he does we don't know, but I'm telling you that our little concerns that God seems unjust from our hidden prides, are nothing compared to Gods heart.

what he does he does for good like a father, and he will show you why after death.

But to the OP. I appluad your sincerity and atleast trying to understand.

peace.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Wow does seem extremely harsh punishment,all I can say is I'm glad I didn't grow up in those days because I see 4 possible scenario's I would have been stoned for

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Parents should be reading the bible with their children, putting the things read into context.
I think there are two points being made though, not sure. 1st, you dissagree with the capital punishment of the OT? Second, because of its violence the OT should be restricted from children?

The secon first, its up to parents to discern what their children take in, I would think it to be much preferable to learn of the story of the Jewish and Christian beliefs than say, playing most video games, or watching a lot of the cartoons available? The things recorded in the bible are hardly worse than lets say what you would see in a PG-13 movie...it should have parental guidance. Unfortunately most parents today don't, wouldn't it be great if they did. Scariest thought might be if a child should choose to read some of the OT, and have questions for their parents, and all their parents could say would be, its a mystery, or, its just an old fable, or read your comic books. In those books are lessons that could be used to bring that youth up as a more productive honest and desireable adult who contributes productively to society. That's my opinion

To address the 1st: there seems to be an issue with the idea of capital punishment for "everyday,trivial or nonsensical offences" in the OT, I'm not gonna argue what's trivial and what's not, I will address the general need to keep those that broke the law out of the congregation.

This was to ‘clear out what was bad from their midst.’ All Israel would hear of the punishment, and fear of such wrongdoing would be instilled in their hearts. In stoning an evildoer, they showed that they were zealous for true worship, anxious to see that no reproach came upon God’s name, and desirous of maintaining a clean congregation. Even in the little things. Before a wrongdoer could be stoned, at least two witnesses had to give harmonious testimony against him, and thereafter they cast the first stones. Deu 17:6, 7 The prospect of being the executioner made a person think searchingly in giving evidence and doubtless was a deterrent to false testimony, which, if discovered, would cost the lying witness his own life.—Deu 19:18-20.
There were no prisons privided for under the law. No criminals were being fed and housed at the expense fo the poeple who obeyed the law.
Consider this, sex outside of marriage invites desease.
So effectively if you get, and pass something like HIV (they had disease back then) you are effectively killing the person you are with. (worthy of stoning)
So, two virgins marry and unless they were having sex with animals, using needles or had gotten tainted blood transfusions (oh, they didn't have that back then, and oh, blood is sacred, hmmm) they wouldn't have ANY sexually transmitted diseases. (OK, so maybe a mosquito could carry some tainted non-believer blood and affect a single couple, I'm open minded!)
But, if people are acting like they do today, well we know the sad shape the world is in today. How nice we have a society large enough to pay for prisons, and public medicine, and rehab, and condoms for teenagers.
Has a lot to do with why they wouldn't marry outside of their congregation as well, to keep it clean.
Anyways, I don't actually think this is anything that is a secret, and I can understand that if someone is looking for reasons to dislike the bible, people killing poeple is an easy target, unless there is reasoning and a digging for the truth.

I would like to say bring it on, but it took me a long time to make this argument, and if it is not satisfactory, then, well, then OK.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

Young children responses aside above me.

There are different interpretations of this quality. Please realize that many view religious dogma the same way.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

Wow,thats some serious opinion you've offered up there.

Are you seriously intimating that these folks somehow deserve their punishment (and god's love purifies the soul through excrutiating pain).

Without sounding smug or blase about it (because I sincerely would like to know), if the bible is a perfect book,why aren't beleivers out stoning people every weekend?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

karl 12:

She told you that we are not under the OT laws anymore. When Jesus came he fulfilled the law and made a new covenant with his blood to cover our sins. Jesus showed us how to treat people as we would want to be treated ourselves. Scriptures teach us that Jesus was a divine incarnation, an incarnation of the personal Son. Not only the Son, but the Father and the Holy Spirit and all possess the divine attributes of God and divine nature, yet only the Son came in the flesh.

As he had all the attributes of God, he would also shine with the love of God and forgiveness for all sins.

Sorry, we do not stone anymore!

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

" Getting stoned to death in the bible "

Oh that is still funny.....

Good point by the thread author, and YES, You would be stoned for this thread as well.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Grandma,thanks for the reply -in the bible ,doesn't it pronounce that god's laws are 'perfect and immutable'

The law of the lord is perfect.
Psalm 19:7

The grass withers the flowers fade;but the word of our god stands forever.
Isaiah 40:8

The grass withers and the flowers fall,but the word of the lord stands for ever.
1 Peter 1:24-25

if the 'word of the lord stands forever' and
'the law of the lord is perfect' ,isn't it only fair (and reasonable) for a person to ask why followers don't just go around in public and carry them all out?

Why not this one?

Anyone who blasphemes the name of the lord must be put to death.The entire assembly must stone him.
Lev 24:16

Just cherrypicking the nice 'divine instructions' and leaving out all the nasty ones seems to me to be a bit of a copout.

The laws are either 'perfect and immutable' or 'unhinged and sociopathic' -a person cannot have it both ways.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This was the method of execution for Israel, back then. Most likely the first big stone to the head would have rendered them unconscious, then they would be pelted to death with no pain.

There was an internet video once of a women getting stoned to death in the middle east for just dating the wrong guy, wow it was so terrible, it's off the internet now. That was more of a lynching than anything else.

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Yes the practise still goes on in many religious countries:

Viewer discretion:

Link:
www.dhushara.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Karl:

I am not "cherry-picking" Scriptures. You just are not wanting to accept what I am trying to share with you.

New Covenant

Hebrews 8:-5-7, 13

They serve at a sanctuary that is a copy and shadow of what is in heaven. This is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle: "See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain." But the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mFor if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.

By calling this covenant "new", he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

Hebrews 9:14-15

How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance-now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Because of the "new covenant", the Rituals were abolished. We were not under the law anymore. We were under GRACE!

No stoning allowed, sorry!

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Not to mention that many of the quotes from Leviticus and other books are ancient Jewish laws and directions for priests not commandments from God. I think you will find they are fairly consistent with the thoughts and people of the day. Don't attempt to weigh it with a modern mind.

Anyway Karl if you are really searching out answers and not just trying to beat the silly Christians into the ground look to the New Testament. You will find our new covenant (agreement) with God there. I know it's not as fertile shooting ground as the OT but I assume you already know that.

[edit on 2/18/2009 by kinglizard]

new topics

top topics

join