It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capitalism and America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Something has been bothering me lately. Why would more people in the US bash their own country than I think any other country on the ats website? Do we like being capitalist? Do we like our way of life? Anyone beg to differ? Anyone from another country care to explain how their form of government is so different from ours? Just thought it would be interesting to discuss.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Some people are just never happy with anything. Some people just flat out hate their own country.

Who knows why. Maybe they feel they got a raw deal or were treated unfairly.

People who bash their own country irritate me.

That's not to say one shouldn't be critical of the things they disagree with though, but at some point you still have to be able to step back and appreciate where you live.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think that sometimes, when looking into issues that ATS raises, people can become overly cynical. That's my initial thought.

Some people have a hard time looking at the good side of thing a situation too. For example, the Iraq war. Sure war is a bad thing and this particular war may be unjust, but, the Iraqi people don't have to live in fear anymore.

Some people think that having national pride is a bad thing, too. Over here in Germany I've been told that, after the Second World War, people were taught that it was wrong to have pride in Germany, or any country for that matter, because it leads to violence and war and blah blah blah. That has recently changed though from what I've seen.

Perhaps some people don't actually hate America but say they do because it's the "hip" thing to do. Kinda like when I was in high school, I said I hated my hometown, but I really didn't.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Personally I think it has to do with our public education system. They only teach us one side of issues and never introduce an alternate point of view.

They are lead to believe that bad ideas are good ideas because it sounds and looks good on paper, but when put to practice it doesn't work. They students aren't told that though.

Then you have what a previous commenter said about it is cool to hate America. Then you also have the degeneration of our society where kids are having kids and they don't care to teach them anything and they gain an entitlement mentality from their parents. The expect the government to raise their children.

I can go on and on and on, but I'll spare you my rantings.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Perhaps because the majority of members on this site are American?
Perhaps because the canyon-like gap between the rich and the poor is so blaringly obvious in the USA?
Perhaps because a large portion of American culture is founded on greed?

Just a few ideas.

top topics

join