It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Shut Out of Stimulus Conference Negotiations

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Republicans Shut Out of Stimulus Conference Negotiations

When different parties start demanding to end bipartisan process it really irritates me. That is what makes this country the way it is. Two opposites battling it out so the bet idea survives. Just like Darwinism. May the best idea survive the competition of two or more parties battling out what they believe to be the best outcome of the country !

It is as if our country was founded with exactly the same Ideas as natural selection. With parties being species , they can mutate and change and do what ever they need to in order to survive. To let the best idea survive.

When there is no more battling what is to say there is any competition on which idea will be the best?

A one party government might as well be a dictatorship to me. I want competition ! Just like nature. It is our duty to take a different side and fight for what we think is right for the country and shall the best idea win in the long run , be it onesides idea or another.

Beware when politicians demand a non bipartisan process . That is a dead giveaway of something being up to no-good.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
reply to post by skeptic1

and how come did republican Bush and other republican cronies gave 800 billion$ bailout to bankers ???

definitely Bush did not want his banker friends to miss out on thier new corporate jet,Maybach their personal aston martins and their private yacht .

democrats=republicans ,both are corporate puppets .
like Ralph Nader said 'USA is a corporate fascism'

If you remember, most Republicans were opposed to these plans even when Bush was president though it doesn't excuse them from their other passages of wasteful spenidng.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by centurion1211
How do the dems reconcile pushing through this pork package when their own constituents - the people that voted them in - are against it in poll after poll.

54% Approve Stimulus

51% Approve Stimulus

What "poll after poll" are you looking at?

Uh, try this simple Google search on the words "polls against stimulus package"

search

Note: "only" 6,450,000 hits ...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

don't worry about us , your nation has managed to destroy our simple way of life with that satanic american MTV /corporate/sexually hedonistic consumerist culture. I don't take care if my nation goes down the crapper or ends up in civil wars . It is not the nation for which it stood for .

anyways those satanic rothschilds and their cronies have ruined us already , I don't care if I die in the coming proletarian struggle against these satanic bankers , they have successfully destroyed what a conservative person like me wished for .

[edit on 11-2-2009 by sadchild01]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Why is it that I heard about this days ago, and yet it seems to be a big surprise and "secret meeting" to everyone else?
This only just happened last night. Are you sure you are not confusing this with the original writing of the stimulus package. This would be the SECOND time Pelosi/Reid locked out the GOP.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Uh, try this simple Google search on the words "polls against stimulus package"

The polls exist. They reflect BOTH "for" and "against"...Look at the numbers. Those "for" it are HIGHER than those "against" it.

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
This only just happened last night. Are you sure you are not confusing this with the original writing of the stimulus package.

Yes. It was reported (on MSNBC or CNN) that Reid and Pelosi would probably meet and hash out the final bill.

This would be the SECOND time Pelosi/Reid locked out the GOP.

The GOP has been invited and included ALL THE WAY. They have never been locked out. They have written parts of this bill and have had tax cuts put into it and have taken out some parts. It's ridiculous to say they've been "locked out".

This is so typical. Obama goes out on a limb and contorts his original bill to nearly half of what the GOP was asking for and still, they cry foul because they didn't get things 100% their way.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
There have been meetings and negotiations going on all along and both parties have been included except for this one little meeting Reid and Pelosi had. Looks like the FORMAL conference will be this afternoon with Republicans present.

Source

The progress came after late-night meetings that continued Wednesday morning, and leaders scheduled a formal conference meeting for 3 p.m.

House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer , D-Md., said he hoped a conference report on the bill could reach the House floor before Friday.
Meanwhile, House Minority Leader John A. Boehner , R-Ohio, blasted Democrats for not including House GOP representatives in meaningful negotiations on the stimulus package.

“They’ve been working in secret,” he said, after House and Senate Democratic negotiators met late into the night, at times with Republican senators, to discuss possible compromises on the massive package.

Not surprisingly, Boehner is probably the one pushing this idea that they're being excluded. I hope his make-up doesn't run when he cries.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
You know, after the last 8 years of the Republicans shutting out dissent, or ignoring the warnings of Democrats, you'd think the democrats would be willing to work with the other side in the interest of reconciliation. But it seems that once in power the Dems become just as bad.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Are they working with Republicans or just with the 3 Republican Senators (the only Republicans that agree with this pork-package) that support this bill and voted for it?

It is one thing to work with people who agree with you; it is a whole other to work with the ones that don't.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The majority of the public doesn't really even know what is in the stimulus package. In fact, i'm tired of calling it stimulus package.

Let's call it "taxpayer money to go to government projects in hopes of creating some jobs."

It really reflects how "Not in the know" most people are.

I tend to think that most people are like people I know personally or whom I work with.

They know NOTHING. They have no idea. They don't even watch the news. They are completely oblivious to what is going on.

Whenever I start throwing numbers out to them all I get is...oh..they are making it out worse than it really is.

People don't realize the ramifications of anything the government is doing.

We've been overspending on earmarks and pork for years. This is just more of the same BS with the added start of "universal health care" which shouldnt' even be in this bill. It should be it's own bill. They do this to avoid the debate.

The poll numbers are BS. It's just like the guy who questioned Obama yesterday in Fort Myers.

The guy said he's been stuck at McDonalds for 4 years and couldn't find another job.

Seriously? 4 years you can't find a better job than McDonalds yet he shows up like he's being forced to live the way he has for the last 4 years.

Give me a break.

The support for this is BLIND. It's backed by Obama and that's good enough for many.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You know, after the last 8 years of the Republicans shutting out dissent, or ignoring the warnings of Democrats, you'd think the democrats would be willing to work with the other side in the interest of reconciliation. But it seems that once in power the Dems become just as bad.

Excellent point.

The only correction is that the Dems controlled Congress the last 2 years out of the eight.

Excellent nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Geeees, what happen to all the bi-partisan rhetoric that we heard from the Dems during the election? What happened to all that talk of open government that would have transparency?? Ms. Pelosi and Lord High Ried need a hangin' party!!!
Zindo

GEEES what happen to the GOP demanding changes - receiving the changes,after getting SOME input and then thumbing the bill?

It is apparent that the GOP is playing chicken pump, there is a large portion dedicated to tax cuts and there is spending. The current version reflects some of the GOP demands - indicated in the expansion tax cuts and rolling back of some of spending proposals.

- like launching a turd out of bounds and preventing the janitor from cleaning it up.

I think the GOP should go camping in a thunder storm

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
Are they working with Republicans or just with the 3 Republican Senators (the only Republicans that agree with this pork-package) that support this bill and voted for it?

No, not the ones who are voting for it.

There are 10 lawmakers represented in the conference committee, who meet mostly behind closed doors but are required to meet at least once in public before passing a compromise bill. Sometimes they are represented by staffers in negotiations and sometimes they attend the meetings themselves.
The majority party, the Dems in both chambers, get an extra person from the Senate and House. So there are six Dems and four Republicans in the group.

From the Senate:
Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat,
Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, Montana Democrat,
Appropriations Committee Chairman Daniel Inouye, Hawaii Democrat,
Finance Ranking Member Sen. Chuck Grassley, Iowa Republican,
Appropriations Vice Chairman Thad Cochran, Mississippi Republican.

From the House:
Energy and Commerce ... Chairman Henry Waxman, California Democrat,
Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey, Wisconsin Democrat,
Ways and Means Chairman Charles Rangel, New York Democrat,
Appropriations Ranking Member Rep. Jerry Lewis, California Republican,
Ways and Means Ranking Member Rep. Dave Camp, Michigan Republican.

It is one thing to work with people who agree with you; it is a whole other to work with the ones that don't.

Yes, you're right.
None of the Republicans in Committee voted for it.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
From Change.gov, the Agenda/Ethics section:

End the Practice of Writing Legislation Behind Closed Doors: As president, Barack Obama will restore the American people's trust in their government by making government more open and transparent. Obama will work to reform congressional rules to require all legislative sessions, including committee mark-ups and conference committees, to be conducted in public. By making these practices public, the American people will be able to hold their leaders accountable for wasteful spending and lawmakers won't be able to slip favors for lobbyists into bills at the last minute.

Does this current closed-doors meeting not count?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GirlNextDoor

Have the congressional rules been changed yet? Apparently not. Can we give him another week or so to get to that? He's a little busy.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Obama could at least impress on Pelosi and Reid to allow the doors to be opened, no? Especially after reiterating again and again during his press conference Monday night at how open and transparent everything would be surrounding this stimulus package. I was under the impression the openness and transparency would begin right away.

And no, I don't think he should have "another week or so" when they're deciding my children's children's futures NOW. He enacted a lot of orders in the first couple of days in office. Why not this one, which was so up front during his campaign?

[edit on 2/11/09 by GirlNextDoor]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlNextDoor
Obama could at least impress on Pelosi and Reid to allow the doors to be opened, no?

Maybe he did. He's not their father. It's not like his to strong-arm them. He's not running the show. He's a participant.

I was under the impression the openness and transparency would begin right away.

It DID begin right away. In many areas. Did you have the expectation that Washington DC would be wiped clean immediately?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Maybe he did. He's not their father. It's not like his to strong-arm them. He's not running the show. He's a participant.

Maybe he did. And maybe Pelosi and Reid don't give a rat's. Nevertheless, the closed-door meeting is troubling. As is the fact that you don't find anything about it troubling.

It DID begin right away. In many areas. Did you have the expectation that Washington DC would be wiped clean immediately?

I haven't had the expectation that anything would change in Washington, to be perfectly honest. And look: it hasn't.

I think there's a lot of talk about working together and transparency, but at the end of the day it's the same old game. Politicians working behind closed doors to create a bigger government that I (and now my grandchildren and beyond) will have to pay for.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlNextDoor
Nevertheless, the closed-door meeting is troubling. As is the fact that you don't find anything about it troubling.

Where did I say I didn't have a problem with it? I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that this was NOT a surprise and they ARE including Republicans in the final conference.

I haven't had the expectation that anything would change in Washington, to be perfectly honest. And look: it hasn't.

That's a matter of opinion. It's funny how we see what we expect to see...

I think there's a lot of talk about working together and transparency, but at the end of the day it's the same old game.

This is just the beginning of the day, not the end of the day. As Obama said, "I expect to be judged by results.”

“You know, I’m not going to make any excuses. If stuff hasn’t worked and people don’t feel like I’ve led the country in the right direction, then you’ll have a new president.”

Source

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

That's a matter of opinion. It's funny how we see what we expect to see...

Well, at least we agree on one thing.

You know, BH, I admire your tenacity in your belief in government solutions and the promises made by this administration. I wish I could have that faith. I think I've been around politicians too long, though. What I'm seeing so far in this stimulus plan just affirms my belief that both sides of the aisle are taking us to the same destination. It's just a matter of who is going to get us there the quickest. And all at the expense of you and me.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join