It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda Deploys Paramilitary 'Shadow Army'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Al Qaeda Deploys Paramilitary 'Shadow Army'

www.military.com

Al Qaeda has reorganized its notorious paramilitary formations that were devastated during the US invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 and 2002. Al Qaeda has reestablished the predominantly Arab and Asian paramilitary formation that was formerly known as Brigade 055 into a larger, more effective fighting unit known as the Lashkar al Zil, or Shadow Army, a senior US intelligence official told The Long War Journal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
More evidence of the dire straights Pakistan is now in as it faces mounting Western accusations of its government being able to control its provinces bordering Afghanistan.

The article talks about the ever growing Shadow Army in ways that both make it real and laughable. The real part is the fear it attempts to conjure up as the article describes it as a coveted badge of honor to join this highly trained, exceptionally equipped and effective paramilitary fighting force. The laughable part of course is they call it a Shadow Army because they can’t really definitively prove its existence, numbers or chain of command structure.

The intelligence cited in this article for both its concrete existence and its growing nature is based on a photograph of a unit in Pakistan of masked and armed men, whose bandanas and tennis shoes and socks don’t look like they came from Afghanistan. Meanwhile back at the ranch I am trying to figure out which exceptionally equipped and trained army issue tennis shoes and socks and bandanas not made in Afghanistan.

It looks like to me Pakistan could utilize some Iranian style diplomats at this junction if it is going to stem the mounting tide for what appears to be a wider military campaign against its regions once the surge in Afghanistan really ratchets up. It makes one wonder how much of this is propaganda aimed at creating the secure environment for the oil pipeline now built across Afghanistan during the occupation and intended to run through and terminate at Pakistan’s southern coast?

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This goes right along with Obama's plan to send more troops in there.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I dont know what its like in the rest of the World.

But.
In Australia we hear hardly any news about Afganistan and this has been happening since about the time of the Invasion of Iraq.

I think the Afganistan area is alot hotter than we are meant to believe.
Like they might be lossing grip on control, in a Vietnam kind of a way.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by xbranscombex

This goes right along with Obama's plan to send more troops in there.

He has made it pretty clear he intends to step up the violence there. Thanks for the post.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TheKingsVillian

But. In Australia we hear hardly any news about Afganistan and this has been happening since about the time of the Invasion of Iraq.

Afghanistan hardly makes the news here in America and it's mostly are troops doing the fighting over there. It really is treated as our 'other' war.

I think the Afghanistan area is alot hotter than we are meant to believe.
Like they might be lossing grip on control, in a Vietnam kind of a way.

I often wonder what they were thinking at the Pentagon when everyone from Alexander the Great to the Russians have met defeat in the wilds of Afghanistan. Like Vietnam the war in Afghanistan in many ways is about the world's Heroine supply. Poppy and Heroine production has skyrocketed during the NATO occupation and the politics of Heroine is having a toll there like it also did in Vietnam.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I agree.

The poppy trade in the area is likly to be part of the USA's black ops funding.

Good old Air America.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The poppy trade in the area is likly to be part of the USA's black ops funding.

I think the same thing. It is hard to imagine with all the military presence that opium production has sky rocketed but it has.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Oh, scary. Quickly hand over your freedoms and maybe the government can stop this shadow beings...

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Oh, scary. Quickly hand over your freedoms and maybe the government can stop this shadow beings...

Makes you wonder who comes up with this stuff? The Media? The Government? Or the Brothers Grimm?

Pretty sad how low on the totem the powers that be imagine the average person's intelligence. Pretty sad how often they end up right about it.

new topics

top topics

join