It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We're raising GM goats to make human breast milk, say Russians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Scientists are genetically engineering goats to produce the same milk as a human mother.

They claim the breakthrough will allow babies whose mothers can't feed them to receive all the goodness of breast milk.

Researchers behind the experiments reject fears of Dr Frankenstein-style tinkering with nature.

They say their work will also lead to the development of medicines exploiting the antibiotic qualities of lactoferrin, a protein found in women's milk.

The revelations follow research by scientists in Russia and Belarus in which male mice were implanted with human genes.

'This led to surprising amounts of lactoferrin being produced in their female offspring - 160grams per litre of milk,' said the project's chief, Dr Elena Sadchikova.

Researchers then switched to goats to obtain much larger quantities of lactoferrin.

Now 90 females sired by GM male goats are being raised on a secret farm outside Moscow.

They believe that from later this year when the goats mature they will obtain larger amounts of lactoferrin than found naturally in human breast milk.

'The new programme will be aimed at producing milk with the human protein, as well as making medicines from it,' said Dr Pyotr Vitsyaz, of the Belarussian National Academy of Sciences.

Full Article Here

This is just straight up freaky ... but i guess it's for the common good? for the mothers who can't breast feed? it's still kinda crazy though IMO ...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
You know, normally I am totally against anything GM of any kind but I'm kind of all for this. I breastfed my daughter for quite some time and when she finally weaned and I switched to formula I was repulsed. Have you ever smelt or tasted baby formula? Its like spoiled, tasteless powdery milk. Its disgusting.
Lactoferrin is pretty good stuff-one time my daughter caught pink eye and when I called the doctor to tell them I was coming in they told me to put some breastmilk in her eye. By the time we got to the pediatritian's office it was pretty much cleared up!
Anyway, a better idea (and less expensive) would be increasing the number of "milk banks" in Russia by creating some financial incentive for women to donate.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It might not be a bad thing allthow i do not know the entire impact on humans of genetically modified products. why not make research even on baby milk since there are women who can`t breastfeed? and goats apparently are immune to TBC so they might transmit this immunity through the milk

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I think this a great idea. With a bit more genetic engineering the goats may even be able to feed the little tykes directly and who knows, baby-sit them even. It would give a whole new meaning to the term 'nanny goat'.

By the way, why did you specify 'human breast milk'? Do any other parts of the human body produce milk?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
By the way, why did you specify 'human breast milk'? Do any other parts of the human body produce milk?

if you're directing this question towards my title ... i just put human breast milk because it was what the title of the article said ... i just copied and pasted it

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Human immunities wil not pass on. One of the primary benefits of breastfeeding.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I don't care how many human female hormones they are able to get these goats to produce.

I bet they will inject Bovine Growth Hormone into this milk, just like that of cows. Look it up, Monsanto has the government requiring that their chemical be in all milk that is sold in all stores. Along with who knows what other nasties.

It is a REQUIREMENT that hormones be put in the milk that goes to the stores for us to use. I am willing to bet they have something in store for infants, too... and that is the only reason for this revelation. Can't have infants getting away from the health benefits of Bovine Growth Hormone, can we?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Goats have the milk most similar to humans anyways. Can't breastfeed, use goats milk. Also has a much lower lactose content then cows milk.So it is good for lactose kids.

I wish i could use goats milk, but at 5$ a half gallon, it is too much. Especially for my milk guzzing toddler.
I tried it, my tot was just fine with it.

Thought about getting my own goat.

So they actually don't have to do too much work to change goats milk. The US is obsessed with cow milk, but most countries use goats or sheeps milk for this reason. So goats milk is strange to us.

And you can buy hormone free milk. A lot of other reasons parents are lookign at goats milk, it is untampered with.

And you also support small family farms instead of commmercial milk harvesters.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The trouble with goat's milk is the goaty taste. It's pretty strong.

Love a nice bit of Chêvre, though.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Very true very true,
I've seen some coliky babies go through every formula on the market and finally be put on goats' milk only to have it be the single thing that works-
most people use cow's milk formula anyway-that probably has BGH in it somehow.

top topics

join