It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Scientology Vault in Wyoming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Mysterious Scientology Vault in Wyoming

www.startribune.com

Public planners in southwest Wyoming's Sweetwater County — a sagebrush expanse roughly the size of Massachusetts — say the contractor hired for the project has told them it intends to build a 22,000-square-foot underground storage vault to store documents.

But plans remain vague. County land use planner John Barton said the county also has been told the vault might hold any number of things besides documents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Wyoming? Really?
They're building an airstrip as well?
Smells fishy to me. In my opinion, it is obviously not just documents (though I do recognize Scientology members highly prize privacy in that regard). Sounds more like some kind of fallout shelter-with all the news we've been getting on the FEMA camps, do you think someone has clued them in on something that will be happening?

www.startribune.com

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke

Wyoming? Really?
They're building an airstrip as well?
Smells fishy to me. In my opinion, it is obviously not just documents (though I do recognize Scientology members highly prize privacy in that regard). Sounds more like some kind of fallout shelter-with all the news we've been getting on the FEMA camps, do you think someone has clued them in on something that will be happening?

www.startribune.com

*facepalm*

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Maybe they really are convinced that that group of protestors really are a sign that the alien overlord xenu is returning to earth.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
it's probably just another guns, ammo and fuel store ready for after the end of humanity -you know just like in bettlefield earth, the operating theatons will carry on reincarnating and then in the year 5000 they'll rise up and fight to overthrow the evil forces and shoot down the xenu deathstar -or wacky something like that.

either that or little davey miscaviage is trying to make a few more bolt holes to hide up in away from the scary mask people.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This will probably be a clone of their New Mexico bunker/vault. My guess is that they're making sure that all their eggs are not in one basket.

2008 TV report on a ’secret’ Scientology vault in New Mexico.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I'm not particularly religious so I don't really know if I should post this, but surely the majority of religions are based on fairly fundamental, basic human concepts which people relate to on the most basic level? A cliche I suppose, but the old 'in the beginning, Man created God' makes sense, to me; when we were primitive, natural phenomena would have been overwhelming and somewhat frightening, and so we would have had a need to create a mythology which explained them. This became embedded in family / societal culture, and remained so. For me, this is where the modern religions / cults fall down - they were created at a time when we had rational and scientific explanations for most things we're confronted by, and so they weren't really necessary? Contrived even you could say.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I'd love to know how anyone in the 20th / 21st Century buys into something like Scientology...unless I'm totally missing something, in which case bad luck me I suppose!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I don't mean to appear ignorant here, so please forgive me.

I have always resisted the click on anything about Scientology, I suppose I didn't wish to be suckered into another wrong-right sob story.

Can someone please share the gist of their belief system? the very quick version would be ok , I just want to have an idea about why there is so much uproar over these places.

Thanks azz

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by baughany

I think we're up against the odds to overcome a million years of our evolution in a few thousand years of recorded history. I imagine the superstitious ideology of human kind stems back into the times we climbed down out of the trees to walk in the Savannah's to forage around, you can't shake that off because it helped us to survive and become dominant.

Who knows but its possible that the belief in a powerful creator helped us survive by keeping those less inclined to behave in check and prevent them from going "rogue" and destroying the clan/mob/group harmony.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

This video pretty much sums up there belief system..no really this is what they believe.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Apparently immanentizing the eschaton is the new black...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
uhm lol, can we say these people are loonie toones? Doesn't any of them realize the Hubbard was a SCIENCE FICTION writer? Guess not as they seem to think what he wrote had more meaning than HELLO FICTION. His occupation was Speculative fiction author. He has been noted as saying, if you wanna get rich, start a religion.

Talk about refusing to deny ignorance. They are a cult, and this world will be better off when people realize this.

Anyway, Peace to them, hope they enjoy their beliefs, but stop the recruiting of other people.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
They are a cult, and this world will be better off when people realize this.

Anyway, Peace to them, hope they enjoy their beliefs, but stop the recruiting of other people.

These are two of the greatest sentences ever submitted to ATS. Now, if we could just get them accepted in the context of every other organized religion as well, we might just spontaneously ascend to the 44th dimension where even the most mystifying aspects of our universe are a rudimentary concepts taught in kindergarten.

They're all cults, born of fearful masses and the greed of a few. Can you imagine where the human race would be right now if we hadn't spent our entire term of existence to date trying to convince each other to subscribe to these unsubstantiated belief systems?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
There was another thread on this topic last week. The "bunker" in Wyoming is on the same concept as the first one that was built just outside of Las Vegas. It's purpose is to preserve the teachings of L Ron Hubbard. What are they worried about? Apparently Galactic overlord Xenu will come back, be pissed, and destroy the worlds inhabitants. Most of them anyway. At some point, there will be new arrivals to Earth, and these bunkers are there to help them get started. The one in Nevada is designed so that it can be seen from space.

Scientology is a dangerous cult, not because they choose to believe that they are alien ghosts. There is nothing wrong with that. The problem lies in how they run their business. They bankrupt members. They ignore the laws of the land. They violate basic human rights, and their actions have directly led to the deaths of many individuals.
Why Are They Dead?
Why people protests the cult.
Ex-Scientology Kids

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Hi,

read the article and thought wonder what it loks like on google maps..

Can't find it.

So does anyone in the area know where coordinates are for
SWEENEY CANYON, Wyo, please.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

Thank you for that.

Is that serious? they believe that we are all possessed by alien souls, which where brought here on DC 9'S? or ships that look like them, were then dropped into volcano's? their souls collected, and released on Earth where they took over people?

Ok if this is real I understand a lot more, and well what can I say? way out there, this surely cant be true? I mean that they believe this? and this is their church? pretty weird, but to each their own I guess? all I can say apart from all that is WOW.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Its where they are going to store "The Leader", when Xenu comes to get them.
Tom Cruise already has his own, but wont share.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Its very typical that they are barging ahead on their own agenda and ignoring the legalities/sidestepping the law.
Nothing irritates me more than this self-rightious group of leeches.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: awake_awoke

While the original article you link to is gone, I found a Fox News article made during the same period. Here is that link:

www.foxnews.com...

And the article:

SWEENEY CANYON, Wyo. – The construction began last summer, stirring up dust that wafted down this desert valley and into a small community of off-the-grid homes.

As many as 20 heavy trucks a day hauling construction materials and equipment rumbled down the valley's main gravel road, passing into a gate marked with a "No Trespassing" sign. Helicopters flew in sling loads of cargo. Powerful work lights lit up the valley at night.

Public planners in southwest Wyoming's Sweetwater County — a sagebrush expanse roughly the size of Massachusetts — say the contractor hired for the project has told them it intends to build a 22,000-square-foot underground storage vault to store documents.

Whose documents exactly? Apparently, the writings of the late L. Ron Hubbard, the Church of Scientology's founder, and other church records.

But plans remain vague. County land use planner John Barton said the county also has been told the vault might hold any number of things besides documents.

"We've had everything from underground housing of sheep or hay," Barton said. "We've had cemetery discussed. We've had mining discussed."

The contractor, International Ground Support Systems of Santa Fe, N.M., also has said it plans to build a 3,500-square-foot caretaker house and an airstrip, county officials say. But they allege that IGSS has failed to apply for two required permits for work done so far.

The mysterious project has riled some neighbors, who value the solitude of their remote community, located about 150 miles east of Salt Lake City.

"I don't care if it's Church of Scientology, the Roman Catholic Church or, you know, Kraft Foods," Barton said. "We have development activity occurring — has occurred and, rumor has it, continues to occur — without required permits."

A local attorney representing IGSS, Robert Reese, said the earthwork already done is similar to improvements that would be made at any ranch. He said that's consistent with the site's agricultural zoning and past use as a cattle ranch. Therefore, he said, the contractor hasn't needed to get a permit.

"Our position is that everything that has been done so far falls well within the agricultural use and no permit is required," Reese said.

IGSS has a majority ownership stake in the 3,500-acre property along with a handful of locals who otherwise don't appear to be directly involved in the project, according to county officials.

Neither the Los Angeles-based Church of Scientology — a roughly 50-year-old religion noted for its unconventional beliefs and celebrity followers — nor IGSS officials returned several phone messages seeking more information about the project.

However, an entity called the Church of Spiritual Technology has been known to build underground vaults to store Scientology documents, including near Petrolia, Calif., and Trementina, N.M. According to records from Humbolt County, Calif., IGSS received a permit in 1990 to build the Petrolia vault for the Church of Spiritual Technology, which is based in Los Angeles.

The Church of Spiritual Technology doesn't have a listed phone number.

The Church of Spiritual Technology and the Church of Scientology are linked, according to Larry Brennan, of Bow, N.H., a former Scientologist who now writes a blog about the religion.

The Church of Spiritual Technology holds Scientology's copyrights and trademarks and stores church documents in underground vaults to preserve the religion in case of nuclear war, he said.

The developer's lack of permits prompted the county to issue a stop-work order in September. When work didn't stop, the planners referred the matter to County Attorney Brett Johnson, who said he's contemplating legal action if work continues without a permit.

"There's been a lot of earth moved. It's quite clear that they're preparing to do a lot more work and we just want them to come in and get the proper permits," Johnson said.

John Ledford lives in a solar-powered home within sight of the construction zone. He said the project has stirred up considerable dust and he worries that the construction could cause his water well to run dry.

"They've ruined the road, and we live with the fact that the road has gotten ruined. But the air and the water? It's just not right," Ledford said.

IGSS attorney Reese said that far from doing harm, the company has improved the property.

"They're doing nothing but agricultural work out there in the last couple of months," Reese said. "They've got grazing permits, cattle are being raised, they were cleaning stream beds, fixing up the property, getting a lot of trash out there. It's much nicer than it was."

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: awake_awoke

Here is a link to an article made in 2015 on the Wyoming vaults:

Inside Scientology’s Secret Bunkers The Daily Beast
www.thedailybeast.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join