It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No religious free speech left in Britain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I can't believe this dutch man has been banned from entering Britain because he has been critical of Islam.

www.independent.co.uk...

So what if he's 'far right', if he wants to criticise Islam, and isn't calling for violence then he should be allowed to.

I haven't seen his movie, but I would guess it has some merit if it was going to be shown in the house of lords.

Something that makes this worse is there is a blatent double standard. You can criticise Christianity all you like, but one look at Islam and you're in jail for hate crimes.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

www.independent.co.uk...

Last night, the Home Office refused to comment on Mr Wilders' case. But a spokesman said: "The Government opposes extremism in all forms. It will stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country. That was the driving force behind tighter rules on exclusions for unacceptable behaviour that the Home Secretary announced in October last year."

Mr Wilders, who lives with round-the-clock security after receiving death threats, said a letter from the British embassy informed him he was being refused entry because his views "threaten community harmony and therefore public security" in the UK.

The government doesn't want people with extremist views coming into the country and doesn't want community harmony and public security threatened as a result of such visits.

I understand the government's position in a way, insofar as I can understand not wanting to allow someone to wave a flame over a bathtub full of "petrol" (as it is known in the UK).

There is a lot of confusion around Islam, particularly among Muslims, but also in the predominently "nominally" Christian-couch-potato-west.

Makes one wonder if anyone outside the ranks of the extremists (on both sides) has actually read the Koran.

It's a deplorable situation, but what do you expect from the addled clowns who gave you 7/7, the Iraq war, and a closed circuit camera on every doorstep?

There really is a collision of cultures going on in the world. I don't think anyone knows what to do about it. Fortunately most people, on all sides of the issue, just live and let live.

SR

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It's all part of the Islamfication plan of the UK. The labour government is relying on Islamic loans from Saudi along with UK muslim votes to stay afloat of course that comes with conditions. I.e Islam gets it's way.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SR

You refer to an interesting dynamic. I wasn't aware of that side of it. What you are talking about reminds me of a tried and true ploy of the Liberal Party of Canada, which is basically to "import" voters and voter loyallty by seizing and holding the low ground on immigration issues.

It's a small world with tiny minds running it.

Jonathan Swift, thou should'st be living at this hour. England hath need of thee. (Thankyou . . . . Shelley?)

[edit on 15-2-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

I left the UK 13 years ago, but my Grandma told me yesterday, that recently an NHS Nurse got fired, for offering to pray for a sick little girl.

Has Britain gone mad ?

Why would people object to a miracle healing from God. It's going to save the NHS money in drugs and treatments isn't it ?? In the banking world the Nurse would get a £2million bonus payment and access to the stretch limo and private jet.

This is the worst case of crazy Political Corectness I have heard about from any country. It makes me embarrassed to be British.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by blj777

Erm, she will probably win in court if that is true on the grounds of unfair dismissal etc etc.

Besides, god doesn't save lives in hospitals, it's clever doctors / consultants / nurses and drugs.

A busy overcrowded hospital does not have time for prayer, that's the job for the hospital chaplin.

Science and medicine prevails in hospitals, not religion.

I doubt there is much truth in what your Grandma says, and if it is true, the nurse in question will get her job back thanks to the courts, not god.

[edit on 18/2/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Hi Thistled !

"Erm, she will probably win in court if that is true on the grounds of unfair dismissal etc etc.

Besides, god doesn't save lives in hospitals, it's clever doctors / consultants / nurses and drugs.

A busy overcrowded hospital does not have time for prayer, that's the job for the hospital chaplin.

Science and medicine prevails in hospitals, not religion.

I doubt there is much truth in what your Grandma says, and if it is true, the nurse in question will get her job back thanks to the courts, not god."

Don't dismiss Grandma's so quickly, they know a thing or two.......

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

Atricle cut & pasted from above link....

A Christian nurse was suspended after offering to pray for the recovery of an elderly patient, it has emerged.

Caroline Petrie (45) was accused of failing to show a commitment to equality and diversity after the incident and is now awaiting the outcome of a disciplinary hearing.

The community nurse who carries out home visits in north Somerset, has been suspended by the primary care trust and could lose her job.

The married mother of two argues she did not force her beliefs on anyone but simply asked whether the woman would like a prayer said for her, as she has done with other patients.

Speaking from her home yesterday she said she only wanted to help her patients recover.

She said: “I’m not angry, and I understand if people don’t believe in the way that I do. But I am upset because I enjoy this job and it (prayer) is a valuable part of the care I give.

“I became a Christian 10 years ago after my mother died. My faith got stronger and I realised God was doing amazing things in my life. I saw my patients suffering and as I believe in the power of prayer, I began asking them if they wanted me to pray for them. They are absolutely delighted.”

The incident that led to Mrs Petrie’s suspension occurred when she visited a woman in Winscombe in December. She asked, ‘Would you like me to pray for you?’ The woman, believed to be in her 70s, refused and Mrs Petrie insists she did not press the matter.

The sick woman is believed to have told the trust about the matter.
Mrs Petrie faced the internal disciplinary meeting last Wednesday and expects to learn the outcome in the next few days.

[edit on 20-2-2009 by blj_777]

top topics

join