It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard of this??? Ringtones ONLY your kids can hear??Say what!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Have you heard of this??? Ringtones ONLY your kids can hear??Say what!!

freeduhm.com

Before we get into our post check this out really quick…KFC’s new commercial targets kids with the Mosquito Ringtone:bucket-copy Have you heard of this??? Ringtones ONLY your kids can hear??Say what!!

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Even though its food tastes like crap, you have to give poultry kingpin KFC credit for thinking outside the, um, bucket when it comes to TV spots, using innovative commercials to lure unsuspecting folks into purchasing its slop. You probably remember the company’s last high-profile ad which forced viewers to watch in slo-mo in order to get the password for a free sandwich, and now it’s utilizing that supposedly "kids-only," high-pitched ringtone in an attempt to drum up interest in the new Boneless Variety Bucket. At some point during the ad for this family-friendly meal, the so-called "Mosquito" tone is played in the background (check it after the break; we could easily hear the obnoxious cacophony, although that may be due to the YouTube conversion process), and the first 1,000 kids who correctly guess where the sound was placed get $10 in KFC gift certificates (just enough to cover the $9.99 Variety Bucket, but tax is coming out of their allowances). With such a small number of prizes in play, it would seem that the home of finger-lickin’ good chicken learned its lesson from the DVR ad, meaning that all of the coupons will probably be gone by the time the contest answer is leaked onto the internet. Still, no matter how many people win or lose, KFC is getting a whole lot of free advertising out of this promotion — so watch the commercial or not, the Colonel always comes out on top.

freeduhm.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Uh.. I read as much of your post as I could..

But it is known that children can in fact hear higher frequencies than adults, and this type of ringtone has been around for some time...

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a few kids around my school have this rather irritating ringtone. They all seem to think that the teachers cant hear them get a text in the middle of class.

they do, not all older people are deaf for gods sake.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The mosquito ringtone has been around for ages. Many schools are banning it because the kids can hear their phone ring in class and answer it without the teacher hearing it go off.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
mosquito tone?
isn't that just called vibrate mode?

anyways if it isn't the same, then yeah that's some tactful marketing to say the least.

here's another great story from KFC that I read yesterday....worth a look.

recipe under wraps

so what is that flavor combo anyways...can we get someone on this?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

nah they're different things vibrate is well, vibrate but the mosquito is such a high pitch sound that only younger ears can hear it

I'll get back to you on the frequency.

EDIT: the mosquito ring tone is 17000 Hz

its actually quite easy to make, all you need is the right software.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by iced_blue]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
and kids like this tone or it annoys them? I personally HATE the sound of mosquitos, I'd rather they just hurry up and bite me and stop all that buzzing!! GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Yes, it's been around for a while. Kids can hear higher frequencies in sound waves.

They can also see higher frequencies in light waves, too.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Works on the theory of a natural degradation (due to hardening, iirc?) in hearing that happens as part of the aging process, but... I'm in my 30's and have no trouble hearing the mosquito tones and similar. Depends on how many rock concerts you've been to, I suspect.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
At least us adults wont have to put up with that bloody 'retard toad' ringtone or whatever it was called. radingdingdingdigndadingdingding.....

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
At least us adults wont have to put up with that bloody 'retard toad' ringtone or whatever it was called. radingdingdingdigndadingdingding.....

Mea culpa. That was my ring tone until last month--I think my husband bought me a new phone and service largely to end the reign of the Crazy Frog. ^^;;

(Whaaaat? It's kind of cute... in a really obnoxious, irritating sort of way...)

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Sorry but it was just irritating to the max, all the kids had it over here in the UK, you want a good ringtone? Try and see if you can get the 'gummy bear song' thats at least entertaining

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Sorry but it was just irritating to the max, all the kids had it over here in the UK, you want a good ringtone? Try and see if you can get the 'gummy bear song' thats at least entertaining

Oh, no--I've learned my lesson about cutesy ringtones. I'll leave it on "vibrate" from now on, like my co-workers all do.

Annnd back to the thread: There are places all over with links to sound files of the audio range they're talking about here, to test whether you can hear it or not, but... apparently you can't run it through YouTube without a special setting for the audio portion. At least, that used to be the case. Since they switched YT over to HD, it may have changed.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
well i dont know what this means but i could hear it and im over 30.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'm 35 and I can hear it as well, even with tinnitus and years of aural abuse thanks to my wonderful Walkman. When I first heard about this quite a while ago I had to check it out. Quite exaggerated in the claims obviously.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yeah you want to feel old be 26 and not able to hear that tone
As for using it as a commercial low but great idea.

new topics

top topics

join