It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New robot created to evolve "no matter what it takes"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Evolving Robot

An Aberdeen University have built a robot programmed to fulfill one objective no matter what, to evolve in order to do so, and to make use of extra materials when they're available.

Thats right, a new AI that is created to evolve no matter what. It originally was built to crawl and learned to walk and use 2 limbs in two days. This thing has potential to learn how to use EVERYTHING attached to it and with the advancement of the rate the program is going, they say it will even be able to tell people how to build it better.

Is this it? Is this the start of a robot uprise envisioned by hollywood? If it is, time to start unloading those hollow points and start researching EMP rounds.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by LeTan]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Sounds kind of cool, scary, and still all too familiar. I swear I've seen this before on a cartoon though... One question; Does it come in the form of a Trapper Keeper?

[edit on 11-2-2009 by beaverg]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
wow, we've finally gotten to the point where we need to use technology to find out how we can evolve further.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by iced_blue

Except it isn't us that this thing is trying to help evolve. It is trying to evolve itself. Eventually it will learn that we are standing in the way of it and it's kind's evolution and then... bam.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The Rise of the Machines !
second line

Moderator's note... Please review ATS rules about "one line" and "very short" responses: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-2-2009 by Byrd]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Why so negative? This is great! Think of how much work a robot could do: I know, it can kill very effective, too. But it might also do the burgers, work in fabriqus, make our clothes etc etc

Humans are far too precious to waste their time and energy on all this simple work. Time to evolve. Think what people could achieve, when they have lots of free time to think and to enjoy. I hope that all the food becomes so cheap, that it's sufficient to work only, say 3-4 hours a day.

It's an illusion to think that people need work, people need time to heal their wounds.

Plus: What was the doomsaying when the car was becoming popular? When the heliocentric worldview was falling?
And they remained silent, when children worked 12 hours in fabriqus, and were payed some dimes. Noone was crying when the slaves were shipped?

Now, actually i am crying that we have MODERN SLAVERY and noone feels bad about it. Robots are a solution!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan

Except it isn't us that this thing is trying to help evolve. It is trying to evolve itself. Eventually it will learn that we are standing in the way of it and it's kind's evolution and then... bam.

yes, but this wasn't created just for the sake of creating it, I hope.

Moderator's note... Please review ATS rules about "one line" and "very short" responses: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan

Kewl...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I wouldn't be worried, "no matter what it takes" sounds a bit scary but an AI like this will deal in logic only. To it we humans would be more of a convenience than anything else and upsetting us would be bad.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Hate to use the scifi reference but , replicators anyone?
Replicators

[edit on 11-2-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I read that link and I have to agree with what one of the poster's said.That article does seem very far from what was actually reported, it's more just one person's opinion about it.

There's no way to try and realize what a non-human entity will be capable of until there is actually one to see what it does.
WE are the screw-up's that kill everyone and everything, so it's impossible for us to think of anything else that wouldn't do this.

Hopefully these robot's aren't dumb enough to buy into politics and religions and then go around killing everyone else who doesn't believe in the same garbage they believe in, when they make the Religibot......THEN we're screwed.

It's kind of like: "give a human being extra brain power and speed and senses, and what will they want to do with it....KILL everyone a lot easier with it"

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Is this thing going to look like Arnold Shwarznegger >?
Where is John Connor when you need him ?

sty

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
the source claims that the bot is limited by the processing power. Quite comforting for a few mode decades..

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This is an important step in AI. Good for the researchers, I hope they make decent headway.

There's always EMP etc to stop them, combined with Asimov's laws.

Don't take lessons on science and technology from religion or hollywood!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
That is pretty cool. one thing shocks me about it though. Something good coming out of scotland
. I thought our main exports was whiskey and neds, but now I guess we could add killer robots to our exports.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
No, this is not the start of the up rise that we see with the Terminator, but for off world planetary exploration. Think about it, when was the last time one of the Mars Rovers was able to get a "physical" check up? If a robot could make use of what ever is around it and fix itself then, we could find a way to almost never worry about them breaking down. Then when we are exploring in space and come across technology that is not ours think about how much the robot could evolve!

top topics

join