It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Dating.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
First off, let me say that I am a single, mostly white guy (got Chippewa Grandparents in there) who has essentially given up looking for his true love in the US and is in regular contact with a girl in China.

The point of this thread is to get everyones opinion of online dating.
If you have success stories, share them, if you have dissapointments or even got burned, share that too.
Be free to list what sites you think are good and which are bad.
Basically just making kind of an online poll of ATS and BTS users and what their opinions are of online dating.

Have a good day all.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
What? China?

Dude why are you talking to some girl all the way across the world? There's plenty of women right outside your house.

Now get out of the house and start talking to women in the Flesh!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Mmmm I agree at least talk to someone you have a real prospect of meeting . Dating sites are good enough if you haven't been dating for yonks to at least get you back in the human race, but you really need to overcome your fears and go out more.

Try getting sa circle of friends whom you can go out with.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I live in Texas and started talking to a girl in Ohio. We live with eachother now and are happy as crabs. Sometimes online encounters are better in my opinion because first impressions aren't based on shallowness, but actual personality. There is little or no lust involved so you know what you are feeling is true.

I say go with what your heart tells you. It could work out. I've had bad encounters with meeting people "outside" my house.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
During my adolescence years, I dated a girl in Manchester and even though we were miles apart - she was a wonderful girl. We are good friends now.

I'm quite nonchalant on the experience, but I'd say China is a significant distance. You are not even in the same country. However, I am a mere spectator and words are nothing compared to your feelings.

Go with your heart.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Bad mojo, in my experience.

People online (present company provisionally excepted, naturally
) tend to, well, lie kind of a lot, in my experience. Something about the anonymity, I guess, but I've seen way too many people hurt by these kinds of relationships.

Proceed with great caution!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
i am using plentyoffish right now but have not met anyone yet. about 8 years ago i met a girl from south korea on yahoo messenger and we continued to talk for about a year. after that she flew here to cleveland to see me and spent 17 days. we tore up hotel rooms if you know what i mean on our way to and from florida. i am a big fan of the internet dating. myspace is also a good place to meet girls. i have met plenty online so far but none in the flesh. i really have nothing to offer right now so i am holding back.
i also just signed up on a chinese dating site. i have a thing about asian girls and would love to pull one out of china to come here and live with me. stick with it bro. it will work out

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Believe me guys and gals, I have tried the 'in the flesh' thing...thats why I went internet style. I am cautious though, as should everyone else be on those things.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
my advice be weary any girl looking for love online is either desperate or has issues or just wants to sleep around.

when it comes to overseas chicks watch out they might want a green card, i have heard heaps of stories like this.

girls get guys alot easier than guys get girls, soooo if a girl needs to go online to find a man thats saying something. proceed with caution.

having said that love is blind and nomatter what we say you are still going to do what you were supposed to do. then you will take from that experience what you were supposed and move on with your life.

good luck to you sir.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I met my boyfriend on the internet and we've been happily together for 3 years. It's just another outlet for meeting people. Not only have I met potential dates, but I've met some long time friends who I couldn't see not being in my life.

For some, I think it has to do with shyness, or fear of the bar scene, or their options are limited due to where they live.

soooo if a girl needs to go online to find a man thats saying something.

No it doesn't. Care to elaborate?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I agree with what akabetty said, the Internet is just another way of meeting people.

In that sense I disagree with what TiM3LoRd said ("my advice be weary any girl looking for love online is either desperate or has issues or just wants to sleep around."). You can meet good and bad people online, liars and people you will tell you the truth and so on, the same as you do in real life.

I do however think TiM3LoRd is right in some of what he said, mainly the first 7 words: my advice be weary of any girl

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
One of the only problems from online dating is some send you pictures of them,then when you do meet in person you have come to realize that it was taken about 15 yrs and less about 80 lbs,other then that drawback,I have met several people and have been friends for close to 15 yrs

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
i knew a guy i used to work with and he got a girl sent over from china and she used to whoop his ass. he used to come into work with black eyes and swelled up cheeks. she was a mean broad.
i still think the net is a great way to meet people.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hmmm...not the most encouraging story, but I think I could take her. I know how to lay the smackdown...
Seriously though, it sounds like most everyone has my own thought and opinions, its a good tool to meet someone, just be cautious.
Thanks for the posts everyone, keep em' coming.

BTW: Anyone been married in the ATS/BTS community thanks to the internet?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Problem is that how do you meet someone ?

Pubs and dating sites are the two common alternatives, but both have drawbacks.

The best advice is just to circulate and build a big circle of friends from both sexes and let that develop into opportunities through them to meet the people they know.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by converge
I do however think TiM3LoRd is right in some of what he said, mainly the first 7 words: my advice be weary of any girl

especially if they are religious nutter

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Works for some, not for others...depends of course, like everything else.
I would say though, that if you want a real and physical relationship, look a bit closer to home...and at least a reasonably drive away....

Even if you do hook up with somebody far away...eventually, ONE of you will have to move...so if in such a relationship...think about it...are you going to move to China? Will she move here? It's an important question, especially if the real life expectations aren't met when you meet in person... Then what?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
especially if they are religious nutter

Ah Yes! Especially those!

It's like a flammable mixture of two types of crazy :x

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SpecAgentDW

I would be wary of any chicks from places like China because they can have a tendency to love Green Cards more then the men they end up with . As others have said it would be better to look closer to home for a love interest . The only problem in general with talking to people on the Net is that unless you have a Web Cam you don't see the other person body language .

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I suppose...and my Asian friends are quite pissed at me for not looking for Asian girls ALREADY here...what can I say? I'm not ugly, just shy and not in to the pop culture thing.
I do have a few instances that made me turn to the net...yeah, yeah, i know, MAN UP! :shk:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join