It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Stamp prices to go up 2-cents in May

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Stamp prices to go up 2-cents in May


news.yahoo.com

The U.S. Postal Service announced Tuesday that the price of a first-class stamp will rise to 44 cents on May 11.

(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
That's very thoughtful of the Postmaster General to raise the first class postage to 44 cents to honor the unlike-any-other 44th prez of the USA. I hope there is no ulterior motive . . .


Buffeted by rising costs and declining mail volume, the Postal Service lost $2.8 billion last year and, unless the economy turns around, is headed toward much larger losses this year.


I guess I hoped wrong. Quite a nice, butt-kissing idea from the mail people to get a piece of the bailout pie by putting Obama's face on a 44 cent stamp to put things in "order."
A configuration like that will never occur again, for the inflation caused by the bailout game will not permit it.



news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Here is my little rant. I am tired of the prices going up. I always have to get those extra stamps because I never go through mine fast enough. And why can't they do even numbers? And why can't they just do a one time jump of ten cents? Doesn't it cost more to keep eeking it up 2 cents at a time?



posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Considering all that the U.S postal service does, it's a modest fee even at 44 cents. Think of all the millions and millions of letters they process.



posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Here is my little rant. I am tired of the prices going up. I always have to get those extra stamps because I never go through mine fast enough. And why can't they do even numbers? And why can't they just do a one time jump of ten cents? Doesn't it cost more to keep eeking it up 2 cents at a time?


I just used up the last of my 37 cent stamps last week. I still have a pile of 39 cent stamps left.



posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
How, exACTLY is this 'breaking alternative news'???

Sheesh!!! Most anyone who lives for any great amount of tme in the USA has heard, already, of the funding crisis in the USPS.

I'd like to hear from our friends around the World, just how do postage rates compare??? That is, to mail a simple greeting card, or business letter???

I just bought a Quart (about a litre) of milk today for US$2.09

I can remember (when postage rates were lower, prior to inflation) when US$2 would buy an entire gallon of milk.

A loaf of bread is nearly (sometimes more than) US$4. One-half pound of butter is nearly US$3.

US$0.44 for a stamp? Are you complaining??? THAT is only for private, non-bulk-rate envelopes at is considered 'First-Class' postage rates.

Have you seen the rates business pay, in their mass-mailings???

Here's a credit card offer recently received....Postage was US$0.18.3

Another, from AMEX.....no price, because they bulk-mail, it is considered 'pre-sorted, U.S. Posatage Paid'.

Honestly!!! Trying to tie the incredible coincidence that Obama is President #44, to the price of a stamp?!?!?

Words of outrage fail me....perhaps others with clarity of thought will venture an opinion?



posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I boat-load of infinity stamps a while ago.

Yeah, I expect the Obama stamps to be out within a year, along with an Obama coin and bill. Maybe his Hope portrait will be added to the flag...



posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu
 


Golly, gee.....a little bit of research goes a long way....

9/14/75....10 cents
12/31/75....13 cents
5/29/78....15 cents

carry on until 5/14/2007. In HONOR of his Father, (President Number 41), George W. Bush raises the price of a First Class stamp to 41 cents!!!

PROVE me wrong! Or just acknowledge how ridiculous this claim makes ANYONE look!

EDIT to add perspective....still on-topic!!

In the last part of 1975 a stamp was 10 cents. I was 17 years old. My Dad bought a brand new (1974) Oldsmobile 98, the same body style based on the chassis of a Cadillac coupe deVille, (mind you) for US$5,500.

We flew from LA to Denver to pick it up at the dealership he had found it at...again, consider this was 1974 and THERE WAS NO INTERNET....he still got a great deal, even including the price of the airline tickets (a token by comparison).

Imagine....a brand-new luxury car for $5,500? He bought the HOUSE we were living in in 1965 for $28,000!!!!

Now, let's compare....stamps have quadrupled in price, and cars (equivalent) .... well, can you buy a brand new Cadillac for $22,000???

or a three-bedroom, two-bath house for $112,000, in Los Angeles???

The cost of mailing a letter is still surprisingly low, in comparison.....


[edit on 2/10/0909 by weedwhacker]



posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Just a few facts in defense of the USPS,

The Postal Service does not receive tax dollars for operations, it is a self supporting agency using the revenue from the sale of postage and products to pay expenses.

When fuel costs increase one penny, their costs increase over $8 million annually.

They process and deliver more than 212 billion peices of mail every year.

And like everyone else, they are having to find ways to survive, jobs are being cut, hours are being cut, there are hiring freezes to accomadate displaced employees. Its just plain tough no matter what or where you are.

I could write much more, but I'm tired and my fingers are forgetting how to type, (and spell).

As you can probably tell I am very fond of my local PO.



posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
In HONOR of his Father, (President Number 41), George W. Bush raises the price of a First Class stamp to 41 cents!!!


One series of the 41-cents stamp issue had the pic of USS Arizona on it. But the real collector item is that 42-cents stamp with portrait of Monica Lewinski, because her name on that stamp was misspelled Moanic Lewinski.



posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stander
 


Well now you're going to have numatisists ((SP?)) (or is that coin collecting???)

Anyway, thousands of people who collect stamps as a hobby will clamor for the 'Moanic' stamp.....guessing, maybe, you have one??? Well, its value just sky-rocketed!

Seriously?? Monica Lewinsky??? I feel a pull on my leg......



posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by stevegmu
 


Golly, gee.....a little bit of research goes a long way....

9/14/75....10 cents
12/31/75....13 cents
5/29/78....15 cents

carry on until 5/14/2007. In HONOR of his Father, (President Number 41), George W. Bush raises the price of a First Class stamp to 41 cents!!!

PROVE me wrong! Or just acknowledge how ridiculous this claim makes ANYONE look!

EDIT to add perspective....still on-topic!!

In the last part of 1975 a stamp was 10 cents. I was 17 years old. My Dad bought a brand new (1974) Oldsmobile 98, the same body style based on the chassis of a Cadillac coupe deVille, (mind you) for US$5,500.

We flew from LA to Denver to pick it up at the dealership he had found it at...again, consider this was 1974 and THERE WAS NO INTERNET....he still got a great deal, even including the price of the airline tickets (a token by comparison).

Imagine....a brand-new luxury car for $5,500? He bought the HOUSE we were living in in 1965 for $28,000!!!!

Now, let's compare....stamps have quadrupled in price, and cars (equivalent) .... well, can you buy a brand new Cadillac for $22,000???

or a three-bedroom, two-bath house for $112,000, in Los Angeles???

The cost of mailing a letter is still surprisingly low, in comparison.....


[edit on 2/10/0909 by weedwhacker]


I didn't say anything about the $.44 stamp coinciding with B. Obama being the 44th President. I said his stamp will probably be out next year- as in a stamp with his portrait on it.



posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu
 


You're right, steve. Sorry.....I accidentally read what was likely a tongue-in-cheek post by 'stander' and somehow confused you two.

My apologies.....

WW



posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I really like the Presidential ties to the stamp price theory.

One of those weird things I guess.

What I'm thinking is this..

In 2003 the USPS posted a billion dollar profit in the first quarter

www.accessmylibrary.com...

That being said, I know that more and more people, like myself are paperless.

I couldn't tell you the last time that I used a stamp.

I guess what I'm getting at is..Do you think that the post office is really in danger of becoming not profitable??

Or is it more likely that they have hedged their future(assumed) profits like all of the other stupid companies that got us in this economic mess that we are now in.



posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e
 


wolf!!

What a great find!!!

Funny, a Government Agency going from a profit to a deficit!!!!

Gee...how could THAT happen?!?!?!????



posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
E-mail is still free...

yet another reason not to use stamps.



posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Not sure if this will show up right, but I'll try.


Statements of Operations
Years Ended September 30,


2008
2007
2006

(Dollars in millions)

Operating revenue
$ 74,932
$74,778
$72,650

Operating expenses:

Compensation and benefits
53,585
54,186
54,665

Retiree health benefits
7,407
10,084
1,637

Transportation
6,961
6,502
6,045

Other
9,785
9,333
9,334

Total operating expenses
77,738
80,105
71,681

(Loss) Income from operations

(2,806)

(5,327)

969


Interest and investment income
36
195
167

Interest expense on deferred retirement obligations


(231)

Other interest expense
(36)
(10)
(5)

Net (Loss) Income
$ (2,806)
$ (5,142)
$ 900



posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dakota Rose
 


Wait, Dakota Rose.

You're saying that in fiscal Year 2007 versus 2008 (during the Bush Admistration) there was a net deficit of over 4 Billion$?????? at the USPS???

Maybe I got the math wrong....but, even IF it was a net deficit DURING THE BUSH administration....MY WORDS, not yours....are we NOW funding the ridiculous Iraq 'War' through our Postage Stamps??????

Gee....seems I've heard of this before.....it was in World War II??????

Except, and this is important!!!! WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY IN A WORLD WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well (edit)....that WAS a cause, back in the 1940's.

Hitler, and his ilk, had to be stopped.

Guessing no one wishes to argue that fact?? ANYONE? 'Bueller'???

OK....past that. Stamps at USD$ 0.44....still a bargain....have YET to see others from other Nations compare their prices.....waiting.....



[edit on 2/11/0909 by weedwhacker]



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join