It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AF Colonel Accused of Imposing Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

AF Colonel Accused of Imposing Religion

www.military.com

RAF MILDENHALL, England -- An Air Force colonel is being criticized for improperly referring airmen under her command to a far-right religious Web site.

Col. Kimberly K. Toney sent a e-mail Jan. 16 to the 501st Combat Support Wing inviting airmen to enjoy a linked video highlighting an inspirational individual on 4marks.com, a Roman Catholic Web site.

The video featured Nick Vujicic, a 25-year-old who was born without arms or legs. According to the video’s introduction, Vujicic finds his "greatest joy in this life is to introduce Jesus to those he meets and tell them of his (Jesus’) great desire to get to know them personally by allowing him to become their Lord and Savior."

Air Force Master Sgt. Jeffrey L. Thompson, a member of the 501st, sent a letter to Toney that complained she had inappropriately advanced her faith in an official capacity.

"My own impression of your e-mail was an organizational endorsement of Christian faith, because the e-mail, article and video compelled us to witness an exercise in religious-specific faith that I felt was in conflict with DOD neutrality on religion," Thompson said in his letter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
My husband retired from the army and I don't think he ever had an incident involving religion, and I can't remember anyone else having a problem being pursuaded into anything religious.

But---I can see where it might be a problem with higher ranking officers or NCO's pursuading lower enlisted to go to, or invite them to anything of a religious nature. The lower enlisted might feel compelled to so they can stay on the good side of the person.

Here's another snippet from the same article. This is what I find offensive.

www.military.com/features/0,15240,184775,00.html?wh=wh

One posting on the Web site features President Barack Obama in a Nazi uniform with a Hitler-style moustache, while other content claims Obama "wants to murder babies that have survived abortion.

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Honestly, who cares

The U.S. military is accountable for so many horrific events that such a misdemeanoer is barely noticeable

people really need to stop joining the army

"hey look, i'm a patriot, i'm gonna risk my life so rich people can get richer"

Time to wake up from your slumber!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
That is unsat. As a senior officer, she should know better. A career will likely be over and a retirement will be in order after a letter of reprimand and a transfer.
All services have their favorite duty stations to induce such activity. The Air Force always had Thule, Greenland. The sun should come back up over the mountains any month, now. If she goes there, she will develop a new definition for "cold."

top topics

join