It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New British Law Will Ban Photography

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

New British Law Will Ban Photography

nycphotorights.com

The relationship between photographers and police could worsen next month when new laws are introduced that allow for the arrest - and imprisonment - of anyone who takes pictures of officers ‘likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism’.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bjp-online.com
www.bjp-online.com
www.bjp-online.com
www.bjp-online.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.bjp-online.com...
www.bjp-online.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The British laws are getting out of hand and the people over there in the UK had better start standing up for themselves, or they will be run over by the government, and be nothing but slave prisoners.

I hope all of you can see what injustice is being done to the citizens of the UK. When they are constantly videotaped by the police from many street corners; yet they don't allow the people to photograph stuff. I believe they have the right to video tape and photograph the police and other authorities if injustices are being done.

nycphotorights.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
NO wonder so many Brit's are moving to the U.S and other country's .
I guess to many officers have been photographed doing something they should not have.
So the way to stop that is make another law on top of all the other laws that makes it illegal to photograph them. No problem now , no one will have a photo or video to take into court to prove what they have done.

Looks like they have tried to do that here in the U.S also.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
There are mountains of data accumulated from research over the years that prove conclusively how frail human beings are psychologically. If you put your sainted mum into a position with such wide latitude and discretionary power as a law enforcement officer, and then remove the chilling effect of being able to photo document wrongdoings by police officers, even she will cross the line.

So. Are these policy makers ignorant of the science, or do they want to coarsen and corrupt law enforcement? Take your pick. Either way, something is very, very wrong here.

One other possibility is that the law enforcement personnel are afraid that citizen cameras will steal their souls.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
If I'd be a brit I would combat this law by doing exactly what it prohibits. Well not exactly, I wouldn't use the images for the purpose of terrorism but for the purpose of exposing how absurd this is. I would love to see the headlines when 'phototerrorist' is sentenced for 10 years behind bars. Maybe that will make them think twice what they legistlate.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
WOW, thats really disturbing... What exactly would constitute a picture taken for terrorist reasons and who makes the decision on that?

On the surface this is a scary law that has a lot of ways to be abused...

MBF

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I think that all the red light and speeding cameras should be destroyed so that the government can't use them to terrorize the citizens. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
WHAAT?

This... is well ridiculous.

They made fun of photojournalists on the Colbert report a while back. But, to think that anyone would take that viewpoint seriously that photojournalists are terrorists?

This... is sad.

If I were a Brit I'd be starting gang warfare with the cops and teaching them not to tell me what I can or cannot do.

That's one of the penalties you get when you're in a nanny state like Britain I suppose.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Gang Warfare? Kinda hard to do with the gun laws they have there... I'm afraid that this is just the begining for those guys. No way to really fight back except by contacting your representatives... and we all know how well that works

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This is total Bull. as a free human I should be able to record my life 24/7 if I so wish, and if a cop were to come into my lens, to bad.
The way the world is today you should be able to record what ever you want, if you girl friend says you beat her, if the cops beat you or someone else for no reason, they say you were speeding, what ever.
One of the ones I like is here in states a guy got screwed over by cops so he put camera in car, and when cop pull him over and tried to railroad young man, cop was suspended. The Chief of Police said something like why would need to put camera in car, Da.
The Brits Gov. are full of it just like when took guns away, the crooks they laughed all the way to hold up.
US is last srong hold of freedom what's left of it, I hope something happens with States, turning on Fed.
That's what Lincoln said if Government broken fix, If can't fix replace.
Picture is worth thousand words.
What's really stupid is more people probably die from flu than terrorism, a lot more.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

And if you do take those illegal photos don't send them over your censored email network – a double whammy.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Incredible, just incredible.

How many people do you know take pictures of beautiful government buildings while on vacation? Chances are, pretty much everyone you know does it. (At least those who have actually taken vacations to such areas.)

I know my first visit to Ottawa as a kid, I took dozens of pictures of the parliament buildings, the embassies, and memorials.
Not to mention, plenty of pictures of the RCMP.

I'm quite sure our friends in Britain do the same when in London.

Now these people can be arrested for simply admiring nice architecture? Or wanting to get a shot of the palace guards?

Ridiculous.

There comes a point when a governments paranoia becomes so obsessive that the very people they have sworn to protect become their enemy.

I'm afraid this may be the case in Britain.

[Edit to add]
This won't stop would-be terrorists from taking pictures anyways.
Camera lenses and photocells are now so incredibly small (plus cheap), you can sew them into the fabric of your clothing.

So all this does is hurts tourism.

... heh, maybe the terms "tourist" and "terrorist" are too similar for our leaders feeble minds to get over.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
At any organised demonstration you'll see the Police intelligence units with the vans video taping the event and other police officers taking photos of those demonstrating. Now, under this new legislation, they can arrest a photographer for taking photos of the police, under anti-terrorism laws, and subsequently let them go again after spending a few hours in the cells and being fingerprinted and a DNA swab taken.
They don't actually have to prove you are a terrorism suspect to arrest you under ant- terrorism laws, something which has already seen widespread abuse by the police.

Now then, what if someone sees a police officer or officers acting unlawfully or heavy handedly and fils it or takes photos? Yep, they'll find themselves arrested and any images taken will probably disappear from the camera before it is returned.

I understand that in the shooting of the young man in Oakland by the BART officer, one of the first things the police did was round up anyone at the scene who had taken photos or video and none of that has seen the light of day. The only images or video that did get out was taken by people who got out of there before the police started confiscating cameras and cell phones, as evidence of course.

As a keen photographer I'll continue carrying my cameras as I always do and photograph whatever the hell I like in a public place. This is one thing I just will not back down on.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
As a photographer this law is rediculous, what i will do though is use a compact zoom and take photos in the general direction of the police and just cut them out of the picture.
I wonder how many times i will be stopped before they get fed up with finding no evidence.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
This makes me want to embed a lens somewhere into my clothing, or if I can obtain one small enough, the frame of a pair of glasses.

Any incidents I witness, I can then upload to the public. I'm not just referring to the unlikely police abuse... there's plenty of uses for this other than keeping an eye on the police.

Heck... it would be quite the means of recalling the days events.

Hmmm...
A video journal from your point of view.
Marketable?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
OMG crazy!
what the........
all those poor brittish photographers
what if a dude just takes a picture and dont even notice that theres officers there.then SNAP!YOUR COMING WITH US!
thats just insane.. come on!!!I dont think terrorist are gonna go around takin pics of some police dudes

too bad

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Locke23]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Well shouldn't they also convict anybody guilty of using any device likely to be useful to terrorists ?

There must be 50 million cell phone users in the UK. We could start by arresting them too.

Ha and I though Americans were paranoid.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Well shouldn't they also convict anybody guilty of using any device likely to be useful to terrorists ?

There must be 50 million cell phone users in the UK. We could start by arresting them too.

Ha and I though Americans were paranoid.

Shhh! Don't give them any more crazy freaking ideas! There's going to be government spys sitting there thinking "bonus! I get kudos for this little idea!"

Seriously though, this is bull, complete bull, made by people who don't want their actions recorded because they are afraid of people seeing what they do.

There's really no other way to see it.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalu
NO wonder so many Brit's are moving to the U.S and other country's .

Thats definitely got nothing to do with the overcrowding.

or they will be run over by the government, and be nothing but slave prisoners.

As I have said before on this site, the only difference between the UK and the US is that the UK are told they are losing their rights while the US is losing their rights while being told they are the worlds freest.

I don't agree with this law but life goes on as usual for the Brits, except that they can't go around sticking a camera in the faces of cops.

Also.. wasn't there a website until recently where people put up the pictures of cops in Britain and others named them & gave their addresses etc?? The UK is not an overly safe place for a Bobby's. There are NOT enough laws protecting them.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This was posted a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly debunked.

Read the legislation - it applies to people already under terrorist surveillance, and gives the police limited powers to view and copy material - NOT to arrest any photographer for taking a pic.

There's also the fact that this was law in NI for many years.

I really do wish people would just read the legislation - if you find that too heavy going, just read the guidance notes, which are commonly used by police officers.
www.opsi.gov.uk...

[edit on 11/2/2009 by budski]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join