It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Device Reads Minds Pretty Well

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

New Device Reads Minds Pretty Well

news.yahoo.com

Canadian researchers say they can glean simple preferences from a person's brain by shining near-infrared light into the noggin.

The study, reported in the Journal of Neural Engineering, demonstrated the ability to decode a person's preference for one of two drinks with 80 percent accuracy by measuring the intensity of near-infrared light absorbed in brain tissue, the scientists said in a statement today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Near infra-red light ( NIRL ) is not reflected by human tissue, but passes through. Some is absorbed. This is the way this mind-reading technology is working.

The absorbtion of NIRL by brain tissue has been studied since at least 1991, as the following citation shows.

External Source.

Imaging absorption of infra-red light in the brain
Arridge, S.R.; van der Zee, P.; Cope, M.; Delpy, D.T.
Image Processing in Medicine, IEE Colloquium on
Volume , Issue , 19 Apr 1991 Page(s):7/1 - 7/2
Digital Object Identifier
Summary:The task of reconstructing an image from the intensity of the transmitted light detected on the surface of the body is quite formidable because the photons undergo very many scattering events such that the overall model of their propagation is best described as a diffusion process. Recently it has become popular to use very short (

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain

Near infra-red light ( NIRL ) is not reflected by human tissue, but passes through. Some is absorbed. This is the way this mind-reading technology is working.

Sounds like a good way to fry someones brain! Keep the damn thing away from me - I think I would be safer sticking my head into a microwave oven!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn

Originally posted by visible_villain

Sounds like a good way to fry someones brain! Keep the damn thing away from me - I think I would be safer sticking my head into a microwave oven!

Yeah, "Can you hear me NOW?" "Yep, sounds like bacon!!"

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Apparently Jack Bauer knows when you lie 100% of the time.
Canadians still have some way to go

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The US govt already has the technology to do this from the satellite. It can read and control a person's brain from the satellite. However this is not done using infra red

Take a look at this thread

US govt mind control

[edit on 10-2-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

top topics

join