It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does history have memory?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
One of the things I've been thinking about is whether or not history has a memory. History as we've seen has repeated itself several times. You could potentially argue that it is repeating itself right now. At the time of the end of the Roman era I believe there were all of these barbarians that they had to face. Here we (the USA) have all of these nations that are failed states to worry about. Our economy, like the one in 1933 is pretty bad. It seems like the economy has not only a memory- but- our economy has irony. I feel that our economy is acting simply from how it was like before then in 1933 and in the 1970s to try to teach us a lesson or something. Not to spend too much? I'm not comparing Obama to Hitler here, but, Obama is certainly offering something people to believe in... he seems to parallel Hitler in charisma except for the fact that he is supporting good (as far as we know) and that Hitler didn't. The skirmishes with Israel and the other nations around it seem to be repeating as well. History seems to exclude no particular nation.

I just find it odd that history has a sense of irony. I don't know why. History has memory? That might explain why the same things keep happening over and over. Plus, Russia is expanding again-- perhaps history has a memory for that as well. History is playing games with us that is for sure. Will history bring the worst memories for us before history gives us the better memory?

What's your view?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't know if I would call it memory as much as humans ignoring the lessons learned of cause and effect. How many times do you have to hit your head before you learn to duck, or burn your hand before you learn that fire is hot? How about...how many times do you have to starve in the winter before you start stocking up in the summer?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I really believe that history has a memory.

It's suppressed memories-- like recessions-- come out to us and bite us in the back when we are being careless.

So, yes. I do believe history has memories and will plague those who forget it.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Interesting, i would say that its caused by echos of cause and effect.

Take europe last century, germany went to war to reclaim what had been lost in the last war which had happened because in part previous wars right back through bismsrk beating Napolion the third becuse napolion the first has beaten germany, and, and, and

each war caused the tension which led to the last, of course this cycle can be broken -it doesn't look like england and germany will be at war again any time soon.

Take america, they funded terrorism against the russians and then later the same terrorists attack them, although it might seem history is repeating itself for the arabs in afghanistan in fact it's just one cycle causing another.

The reason the economy keeps collapsing is because its a terrible system, doomed to fail and propped up by lies.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I think it is more a case of older generations failing younger generations.

We start to take life for granted with beliefs that horrific things will never happen again and for that very reason human beings fail there offspring.

Society needs an attitude adjustment.

In a way you are saying the same thing as it is ignorance that is causing this and that is what a suppressed memory is.

Nobody likes the truth as it involves blame on another.

It hurts.

"The past will come back to haunt you"

"What goes around comes around"

"All roads lead to Rome"

"Self questions, self"

Far too many people mistake age for wisdom.

Believe me when I say this, I have spent a long time looking in the mirror, in case you are wondering where im coming from and I know who I am but so many do not.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I don't think it's memory, so much, as repeating patterns manifest in the interactions of complex and dynamic systems.

top topics

join