It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

life after death?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I believe in an afterllife and agree with seer that it is only through personal experience that we can come to have proof of it and only then on an individual basis. I think it is eternal, cyclical and takes many forms, many levels and many manifestations.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
All souls are eternal, regardless if you believe in heaven, hell or reincarnation. The soul lives on forever, with many more paths and "lives" to lead including the final destination of being one with "god" again. Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
EDIT: We really aren�t �human� it�s only our machine we are using, it�s a �Human machine� does that mean that All Life are Equal but with different structures?

Amazing insight Cardu. This might actually explain our existence. This ties into the Hindu belief in the multiple cast system based on your past life karma you get reborm to a new "group". whether animal, insect, vegetation or human.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The only thing that we scientificly know is that the matter/energy that makes up our being transforms and goes somewhere else and eventually into another form. Life? I suppose that it all depends on how you define it. If you are talking about consciousness, then that is something that can not currently be proven.

My personal opinion is that our consiousness energy does go on, but without the physical brain and ego to be used as an intermediary translation device it is probably quite different form the way that we currently consider it. This of course is just my theory.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
There is conclusive proof that your mind, your character is at least in part caused by the brain. If certain parts of your brain are damaged you behave differently. If your brain is completely destroyed in death, your character and mind should be at least completely changed and probably destroyed as well.

The 'energy can not be destroyed'-argument is stupid. The energy itself does not remember what it used to be energy of. You can never figure out what the heat in your room used to be before it was kinetic energy. The energy can't carry information about a mind or something.

If souls are made of energy and souls go to some afterlife we can't measure, the conservation of energy is violated. Violation of this important principle of physics has never ever been measured before.

Near-death experiences or visions are not proof of an alterlife. Evidence has to objective and measurable. It is known that be exciting certain parts of the brain or by putting certain chemicals (drugs like '___') in the brain visions can be induced in laboratory environments.

I still stay with my point that there is no evidence of any afterlife. I personally don't like the idea of an afterlife, but if all evidence pointed in that direction I could only draw one conclusion. Luckily, it points in the opposite direction, and supports my case. Death is never something to be feared, especially when there is no afterlife. A life without afterlife is the best kind of life: Lucretius' de Rerum Natura and Seneca's de Consolatione ad Marciam.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
i believe it, too many things have happened to me, to not believe it. also i have talked to people who have never even heard on nde's and what they had to say about what happened to them.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by amantine
There is conclusive proof that your mind, your character is at least in part caused by the brain. If certain parts of your brain are damaged you behave differently. If your brain is completely destroyed in death, your character and mind should be at least completely changed and probably destroyed as well.

The 'energy can not be destroyed'-argument is stupid. The energy itself does not remember what it used to be energy of. You can never figure out what the heat in your room used to be before it was kinetic energy. The energy can't carry information about a mind or something.

If souls are made of energy and souls go to some afterlife we can't measure, the conservation of energy is violated. Violation of this important principle of physics has never ever been measured before.

Near-death experiences or visions are not proof of an alterlife. Evidence has to objective and measurable. It is known that be exciting certain parts of the brain or by putting certain chemicals (drugs like '___') in the brain visions can be induced in laboratory environments.

I still stay with my point that there is no evidence of any afterlife. I personally don't like the idea of an afterlife, but if all evidence pointed in that direction I could only draw one conclusion. Luckily, it points in the opposite direction, and supports my case. Death is never something to be feared, especially when there is no afterlife. A life without afterlife is the best kind of life: Lucretius' de Rerum Natura and Seneca's de Consolatione ad Marciam.

why do you say life without afterlife is the best?

but i think i know what you try to say. after death, we would simply become non-existence, hence we have no more worries about this and that. but heres the brain twister, what if i still want to live? would that contradict what you believe in?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2009
why do you say life without afterlife is the best?

but i think i know what you try to say. after death, we would simply become non-existence, hence we have no more worries about this and that. but heres the brain twister, what if i still want to live? would that contradict what you believe in?

It's not a belief, but an observation. I have yet to see any evidence of an afterlife. All observations until now do not indicate an afterlife. Why add one in theories, when a life without afterlife is better?

Lucretius compares death to an eternal sleep, free from any worries, pain or suffering. Did you ever feel bad while sleeping? You don't have to worry about hell or heaven when there is no afterlife.

You've had 80 years (maybe more with medical technology) to do whatever you want to do. You don't have to worry about wanting to live on after you death, because through death you lose all worries. Your life with be better as well if you accept death as eternal rest without afterlife. No longer fear of what is to come, no longer spending time to prepare oneself for the afterlife.

I think to live forever is one of the worst tortures possible. The boredom and continuous problems from your body getting older would not be fun at all. Living eternally in hell or heaven is a torture, unless living eternally in heaven means eternal rest, but then it's equal to a life without afterlife.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by amantine

It's not a belief, but an observation. I have yet to see any evidence of an afterlife. All observations until now do not indicate an afterlife. Why add one in theories, when a life without afterlife is better?

Lucretius compares death to an eternal sleep, free from any worries, pain or suffering. Did you ever feel bad while sleeping? You don't have to worry about hell or heaven when there is no afterlife.

You've had 80 years (maybe more with medical technology) to do whatever you want to do. You don't have to worry about wanting to live on after you death, because through death you lose all worries. Your life with be better as well if you accept death as eternal rest without afterlife. No longer fear of what is to come, no longer spending time to prepare oneself for the afterlife.

I think to live forever is one of the worst tortures possible. The boredom and continuous problems from your body getting older would not be fun at all. Living eternally in hell or heaven is a torture, unless living eternally in heaven means eternal rest, but then it's equal to a life without afterlife.

when we die, we die. in life we always worry about death, but when it comes, we don't have to worry anymore, theres nothing "there" to worry about.

but theres still something about that make me think negatively. wouldn't be a scary thought that i live through out my entire life, then it just suddenly ends, then..nothing. scary...

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
as i think more of it "non-existence", i think i start to accept it. i am not saying i believe in it, but it does give me a better understanding. right now, i dont think i want reincarnation or come back to life after i die. it's either heaven or nothing, because theres too much hate and misery in life. i just dont want to come back to another life of death, hate and misery

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I think we do survive when we pass on, as to what it is like, more than likely it will be what you expect it to be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join