It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton says missile system may be halted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Clinton says missile system may be halted

www.australiannews.net

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has suggested plans for a missile defense system in Europe may be halted if Iran discontinues its nuclear buildup.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Is it just me or is this more political double speak.

may be halted if Iran discontinues its nuclear buildup

Nice positive spin to get people attention, but reading between the lines they have no intention of shutting down the system. Hence the qualifying statement

depending on Iran’s attitude.

And in the same article

On the weekend, US Vice President Joe Biden, speaking in Munich, said the US would continue efforts on missile defense provided the technology is proven to work and it is cost effective.

So is it cost effectiveness or Iran playing ball that will determine the future of this project? Something tells me it is going ahead no matter what.

www.australiannews.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has suggested plans for a missile defense system in Europe may be halted

YEAH SURE. This is so bogus, they'll never do that.

- It's against Russia
- It's a too big contract for the militaro industrial complex
- They would have spend hundreds of billions for only a few in Alaska? Yeah sure.

They'll never do that.

Come on Hillary, continue lying like that.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This would be an interesting turn of events if it really occurs. I doubt if Iran will seriously back off, but if they do the world will breathe easier. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
I doubt if Iran will seriously back off,

I am pretty sure that is what they are counting on. Other wise they will need to find a new excuse...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This is actually a smart move on her part, believe it or not.

She put all the pressure on Iran.

She also tried to word it in a way that Russia 'MAY" use some of it's influence with Iran to have them,"cool it".

If Iran refuses, it gives the US a reason for the missile shield to defend against Iran, not Russia.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It is amazing how heavily Obama and now Clinton have been criticized after, what, their second week in office?..

This is actually a brilliant move. If Iran refuses to halt, we will ramp up our missile-shield until Russia FORCES them to cease.
Just watch, this is how an administration uses diplomacy to achieve their goals, rather than blow the crap out of countries that can't defend themselves.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This is just a 'cookie' for Russia.

They can be instrumental in relieving Iran's pressure to keep up with the Jones' (or Pearlman's). If Russia enters a strategic defense arrangement with Iran (a more meaningful one), perhaps they will be disinclined to waste resources on obsolete war technologies.

Then the Israeli government will "play nice" for a spell. Maybe.

I don't know whether the underlying paradigm is funny, stupid, or both.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Its more then just a "cookie" move for Russia. Russia really doesn't want us to make this missile system. Russia is the one who is helping Iran built its nuclear plants. If Russia says hey Iran if we don't help you then they don't make a missile wall. Then it puts 2 sides of pressure on Iran.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Funny, this program was trashed by Dems under the Bush admin., but now hailed as a great deterrent to Iran under a Dem. admin.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

You view it as a great deterrent, I'm not convinced by this move. The Russians ain't going to stop providing technology to Iran and help built nuclear facitilites, and the Iran's don't give a dam, they will look somewhere else if they have to, or remain independent like South Africa.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by deltaboy]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Good. Discontinue that project regardless of Iran.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
It is amazing how heavily Obama and now Clinton have been criticized after, what, their second week in office?..

This is actually a brilliant move. If Iran refuses to halt, we will ramp up our missile-shield until Russia FORCES them to cease.
Just watch, this is how an administration uses diplomacy to achieve their goals, rather than blow the crap out of countries that can't defend themselves.

I doubt Russia will force them to cease, this whole thing could easily open up a new can of worms between the US, Germany and Russia with NATO getting split down the middle.

Check out this thread.. its an intel report from stratfor. www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
Its more then just a "cookie" move for Russia. Russia really doesn't want us to make this missile system.

Yeah because Russia is not stupid. They know it's offensive, not defensive. Like you'd be able to stop 500 simultaneous missile launches.
You'd be lucky if you hit 10.

I like this part:

On the weekend, US Vice President Joe Biden, speaking in Munich, said the US would continue efforts on missile defense provided the technology is proven to work and it is cost effective.

Defensive? Yeah, right.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Dermo,

For that I guess we will just have to wait and see, eh?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
For that I guess we will just have to wait and see, eh?

Exactly, although I think it would be better if they abandoned the plans altogether, stopped destabilizing the relationship between Eastern Europe and Russia, and also began talking to Middle Eastern leaders in order to build constructive relationships that would lead to less fear and hate.

I suppose thats too much to ask really.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Dont think the russians are stupid...

They had sputnick when the USA was still working out what its was doing...

firs satalite in space first dog in space first man in space..

Do you really think they are that STUPID? they know the us missile defence is for CHINA! and Russia..

But one fails to understand something putin said at the davos economic forum...

we dont care about wars we have bigger fish to fry.. they are even SCRAPPING there old tanks for METAL...

The new war will be over "rescourses" he spelt it out very very well..

----------------------
Added link

cspanjunkie.org...
---------------------------

Iran is a pain in the ass and it dont need nukes, why would it wan to nuke anyone? israel would wipe if off the map..

this is over MONEY and OIL not stupid missiles or nukes.. if iran had a power "electricity" then it would techincaly have 100% oil to sell

kinda smart if you ask me.. and they could ask any price for it..

Edited for link

[edit on 11-2-2009 by theresult]

top topics

join