It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

religious lottery?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Hi, I'm new here so please be easy on me.

How do we know we have the right religion? I was born in Ohio and raised to believe in Christ and the bible, was raised Lutheran as a child and currently attend a non-denominational church. I have recently joined the Freemason and this has caused me to become more interested in the bible than ever before, (which is funny because many people believe we Masons worship Satan, but that's for another thread) Anyways, I am really enjoying reading more of the Old testament and just learning more about the biblical times. In doing this I'm also learning and reading about other religions too. My point is, because we are born here, mainly we are brought up to be Christians. Now if we think about it, if we were born in other parts of the world, we would have easily become Buddhists or Muslims or who knows what? Point is, when we are children, we are just taught this religion is right, and most of us just go with if and devote our life to it. How do we know it the right one?? People in other parts of the World are certainly convinced they are right too. And lets look at Christianity, we can't even get the story straight under the Christian umbrella, there are Baptist that think they are the only ones going to heaven, doesn't matter if your Lutheran or Catholic. (this is just an example) This concerns me.
Look at it this way..
We are adults now and can make are own decision. If we buy a car, what do we do, we look at all of them..check reviews, ratings...which ones last longer, ect.ect. I'm sure you get my point. Why don't we get to an age where we can understand religion and then be given all of them to look at and then decide which one is right. I know that is an option living here in the US and other parts of the free world, but how often is it done when something has been programmed into out head from birth? I'm not saying I want to renounce my religion, but I sure hope when that day comes, I holding the right ticket to enter the pearly gates. Its feel like a lottery.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fleur-de-lis

fleur-de-lis,

Welcome to THE site!!!

Nice start there...

Please know OT is praying for your search...and will be watching the responses...

OT out...

How bout the L-train losing to Kobe, the other night????

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Thanks!
Well as for La-boob, he is a love and hate guy here, If your a Clevelander, you most likely love the Indians, Browns and of course the Cavs, but it irks us to see him go to an Indians games and wear a Yankee's hat. NOT COOL

Thanks for your reply.
Would really like to know what people think of my thoughts on this, how do we know we have the chosen the right religion? Somebody has to be wrong, we can't all be right....or possibly no one is right........

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
"there are Baptist that think they are the only ones going to heaven"

This isn't true. All the Baptist churches and the Baptist leaning college that I attended, believe that anyone will go to heaven, as long as they've accept Christ as their personal savior. The vast majority of Christianity "has the story straight" as well. It's the secondary issues that people don't agree on. [e.g. Millenium or no millenium.]

It's true that many people blindly just accept the religion that they're born into, without investigating it and comparing others to try and find the right one. Even though I didn't grow up in a Christian, or even religious, home, I became a Christian after looking at the facts and conclusions and such. I reached this conclusion after researching and the sort.

I agree that people that just assume their parents faith don't do themselves justice and they should, once their older, investigate more. I think that people don't do this in the US though because, people don't care for the most part. They're cultural Christians, Hindus, and etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleur-de-lis
Hi, I'm new here so please be easy on me.

Why don't we get to an age where we can understand religion and then be given all of them to look at and then decide which one is right. I know that is an option living here in the US and other parts of the free world, but how often is it done when something has been programmed into out head from birth? I'm not saying I want to renounce my religion, but I sure hope when that day comes, I holding the right ticket to enter the pearly gates. Its feel like a lottery.
What IF none are correct and the whole concept from religions i.e god and the 'pearly gates' etc isn't true at all? Do you waste your life in the clutches of a religion hoping that your views are correct.
Although I totally agree that where you live/parents religion etc determines your religious denomination.

G

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
What IF none are correct and the whole concept from religions i.e god and the 'pearly gates' etc isn't true at all? Do you waste your life in the clutches of a religion hoping that your views are correct.
Although I totally agree that where you live/parents religion etc determines your religious denomination.

G

Yes, what if none are correct....I have often wondered about that myself. Could the whole thing (religion) be just a made up story so we can sleep better at night? Kind of a general answer to everything story, seems you can translate it into just about anything to make it fit the needs of our questions?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Octotom,
I was just making a statement, my point is there is arguing between Christians religions. I have met Baptists that think they are 100% correct and everyone else is wrong (extremist if you will). In fact I know of a Baptist that told a Lutheran that they will go to hell because they are not Baptist. Now I'm sure you can interchange the Christians religions I've used and the someone somewhere, people have heard the same thing which is arguing between Christians religions. Many argue with the Catholic religion, and this is all under Christianity. Now lets look at the bigger picture, the whole World, how many religions are there?? All different..how did one story get so screwed up and now we have hundreds of religions and the whole World is fighting about them. I have to say, I've read a few major non Christians religions, they all sound convincing..so who is right?

[edit on 13-2-2009 by fleur-de-lis]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

How do we know we have the right religion?

Ask God.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." - James 1:5

He's very personal. I could tell you my complete history, testimony and everything I know about God but without experiencing it yourself it's mere words. There are those who have a 'blind faith' in scripture and I think that's wonderful, however by getting a 'seeing faith' doubt is removed. If you're willing to give up some of your faith for proof, then I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It'll make your understanding and position stronger as we're taught to, "Test everything. Hold on to the good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:21

(which is funny because many people believe we Masons worship Satan, but that's for another thread)

I don't see how they do, I think that's a misconception... just like believing that Christians think Masons are devil worshipers. I have my issues with the Masonic principles, but that's probably best left to U2U's (and in fairness I'm sure they have their issues with me as well). If the Masons drive you to read the Bible and become a stronger believer, great! However, the trend seems to be to 'educate' their people that it's "not to be taken literally". Again, one of my many issues with the institution. I do not wish to drive anyone away from their fraternity or fellowship, but I also do not want them to compromise the principles found within the Bible for it.

Now if we think about it, if we were born in other parts of the world, we would have easily become Buddhists or Muslims or who knows what?

It's a great question worth exploring. I didn't grow up in a Christian household yet became Christian. Personally I was rooting for Greek mythology to be true, nevertheless truth is an absolute, not a variable.

Point is, when we are children, we are just taught this religion is right, and most of us just go with if and devote our life to it. How do we know it the right one??

You'd have to explore this to know for sure. I'd be glad to help if you're interested by U2U.

People in other parts of the World are certainly convinced they are right too. And lets look at Christianity, we can't even get the story straight under the Christian umbrella, there are Baptist that think they are the only ones going to heaven, doesn't matter if your Lutheran or Catholic. (this is just an example) This concerns me.

Most Christians I know don't believe "you have to be Baptist or you'll go to Hell" and am finding that to be more and more a misconception. Ask a believer this question, "Are you John 3:16?" If they say yes, they're all in the same boat.

I know that is an option living here in the US and other parts of the free world, but how often is it done when something has been programmed into out head from birth? I'm not saying I want to renounce my religion, but I sure hope when that day comes, I holding the right ticket to enter the pearly gates.

Well, you can either hope or you can know for certain. Which would you like?

Its feel like a lottery.

Candidly I'd be concerned too if it felt this way for me.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Yes, what if none are correct....I have often wondered about that myself. Could the whole thing (religion) be just a made up story so we can sleep better at night?

As a person who has read the Old Testament, do you believe THAT is a story that helps us sleep better at night?

Kind of a general answer to everything story, seems you can translate it into just about anything to make it fit the needs of our questions?

Run experiments if you need to. When the book tells you "here's the way you handle this" try it out. Did it work? What were the results? Start with the book of Matthew, that has the most complete set of advice (in my opinion) for a believer.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

In fact I know of a Baptist that told a Lutheran that they will go to hell because they are not Baptist.

What an extremely bold and judgemental thing to say! Knowing the Baptist history and how they were treated by the Catholics after their separation from that church, they should know better. Your baptist friend should also know that Martin Luther is the reason why they were able to establish as Baptists...but I digress and hope you find this to be a minority opinion...else God save us all from our own judgementalism.

Now lets look at the bigger picture, the whole World, how many religions are there?? All different..how did one story get so screwed up and now we have hundreds of religions and the whole World is fighting about them.

If there is 'fighting' it's merely with words. Fighting with violence is over money, power, land, status, resources and other worldy greed commodities.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

The extremely bold statement was just an example of something I've see. They are not my feelings nor do I believe all Baptist are like that, quite the opposite rather. But all the same, point is there are extremist in every religion, and its eye raising when both are Christian religions.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by fleur-de-lis]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

The extremely bold statement was just an example of something I've see. They are not my feelings nor do I believe all Baptist are like that, quite the opposite rather. But all the same, point is there are extremist in every religion, and its eye raising when both are Christian religions.

Yeah, I think it's eye raising because something tells us that Christians shouldn't be acting like this...and rightly so. I've seen people carry a book without knowing what's in it before and agree it's not right to do so. The hope is they just haven't gotten to that chapter yet. Nevertheless we're all human and if we went around pointing fingers we should do so to ourselves first.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
"Oooh, sorry, the correct answer was 'Mormon'. Yes, the Mormons had it right, sorry folks"

--South Park did an episode where someone died and was at the Pearly Gates, thinking he would get in, and the above is quoted from memory. I always thought that was hilarious, and it does address the OP's point: religion is like a lottery. If you believe in that kind of stuff at all, that is. You may as well pick one out of a hat and follow it, because it has the exact same chance of being correct as the one you were brought up in!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I understood that you were simply making a blanket statement, but many people have that stereotype that Baptists think they're the only ones going to heaven. There is even a joke where the punch line goes something like, "and then Jim went to the back corner of heaven with Jesus and heard people worshipping. Jim asked, 'who are they,' and Jesus replied,'they're the Baptists. They think they're the only ones here!'"

As for how one story got twisted and mangeled every which way, I think Renald Showers in his book What on Earth is God Doing? gives a good answer. The reason that each religion teaches what is essentially the same but with a slightly different twist is because of Satan. Satan wanted to counterfit God's plan from the very beginning, including worship. In order to acheive this, he took God's basic message and twisted it, making it counterfit. This had to be done because, people would realize when something is amiss had Satan drastically changed things.

join