It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schumer: The American People Don't Care About Pork Projects In Stimulus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well, here we have it folks. According to this Schumer the shmuck, the American people don't care if the government wastes OUR money. And this is right from the horses mouth.

Video

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hah! Wonder how many people will say it's being taken out of context just so they don't have to wake up and face reality.

The Fed doesn't care about US....the american people.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cnichols
Wonder how many people will say it's being taken out of context

Funny that the first poster recognizes the truth that this IS out of context. We don't even know that he's talking about. Why do you think these little YouTube clips are so pervasive? Why don't they show a couple minutes of it so we can get the context?

I am not defending this, I can't. I can't make a judgment either way about it. But when people rush to judgment on a 15-second clip that doesn't even have a context it's nothing but embracing of ignorance.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Transcript of Schumer's statement.

AND LET ME SAY THIS TO ALL OF THE CHATTERING CLASS THAT SO MUCH FOCUSES ON THOSE LITTLE, TINY, YES, PORKY AMENDMENTS, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE REALLY DON'T CARE. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE CARE FAR MORE THAT THERE'S A PROPOSAL IN THE BILL, THIS ONE I PUSHED, THAT GIVES A $2,500 CREDIT TO FAMILIES WHO PAY TUITION TO PUT THEIR KIDS THROUGH COLLEGE. GREAT RELIEF. THEY CARE FAR MORE ABOUT THAT THAN ABOUT SOME SMALL PROVISION IN THE BILL THAT SHOULDN'T BE THERE. BECAUSE THE TAX RELIEF FROM TUITION COSTS THAT THEY'RE GOING TO GET MEANS FAR MORE TO THEM. THEY CARE MORE ABOUT A PROVISION THAT KEEPS THE TEACHERS IN THEIR SCHOOLS.

www.politico.com...

(provided in caps)

I was also dismayed that the 16 second clip appears to be splattered all over the place. It smacks of partisan nonsense.

I disagree with him, and find his characterization of the objections as coming from the 'chattering class' somewhat offensive. I find it telling of his attitude towards those he serves. But excerpts of speeches are a tool of propaganda and the MSM, let's NOT do that here. BH is absolutely right. Context is necessary. Beware those who will clip statements. Not the OP - this is how it appears out there, but look a lot closer when you want to know what was really said.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by Maxmars]

[edit on 10-2-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well...context included, it appears he meant what the OP implied he meant.

Schumer could care less about the American people as far as I'm concerned. He's looking out for himself and his cronies.

He even goes so far as to admit that there are provisions in the bill that shouldn't be there.

Crying context here is a cop-out.

We're getting royally screwed here.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Thanks for the quote, Max. I looked a little bit, but then gave it up.

What I disagree with here is that he lumps all the "American people" into one mind. I'm absolutely certain that there are those out there who don't care about the little porky bits, but I'm not one of them. I CARE that there is one single little bacon bit in this bill. That's not the purpose of this bill.

BUT that piece of bacon (clean coal plant in Illinois, for example) will create jobs for those in the area and that's a good thing.

He's right that I care more about the other things than the bacon bit.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I really REALLY REALLY dislike that guy.

Is it time to tar and feather the traitors yet?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I still stand by my statement that they don't care about us, the American People.

As is obvious even in the full context that was posted. Yes, there is a proposal in there for the American People, but even he admited that something is in there that SHOULDN'T BE THERE. Yes, I care about that.

And as another poster stated, calling us the "Chattering Class" ...

How dare he?

If you are going to pass a bill to benefit the american people then pass a bill that benefit's the american people, not something that aslo slips in some little piece of pork that shouldn't be there.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cnichols

Can you imagine what he's going to be like if he gets the next SCOTUS appointment that he is in line for? Won't that be fun? This man who has never seen a camera he doesn't head directly for is a menace! this moron is one of the worst elitists in Washington. And he still gets 85%of the votes in his district. makes you wonder what those people are thinking..or if they do!!

Zindo

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
makes you wonder if he really does have that approval or are they just rigging all the votes i mean who really votes for these clowns

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I wonder how many people will qualify for his $2500. Most college students I know pay their college tution with government grants and student loans. And with this bad economy even less parents will have money to help pay their child's way through college. That means more people turning to the government to help pay for college.

Personally, I do care about pork amendments because taxpayers money is funding them.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
edited for double post

[edit on 10-2-2009 by jam321]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cnichols
And as another poster stated, calling us the "Chattering Class" ...

How dare he?

I hate to ruin your outrage, but I don't think he meant that the American people are the "chattering class". I think he's talking about the Republicans in Congress that are going in and picking out the little "porky pieces" and focusing on them to get the American public to turn against support for the bill.

And let me say this to all the "Chattering Class" who are focusing on those little porky amendments: The American people really don't care.

He's talking TO the chattering class - ABOUT the American people.

But carry on.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well, i guess i'm in the tiny minority that doesn't want stimulus package. And let me tell you, I would never consider myself apart of the complete and total disgrace of the Republican party nor would i ever do the same for Democrats.

Neither major party exemplifies true freedom.

It's all a damn sham and they are sucking the people of this country dry!

Yet they beg for more!

I understand wanting jobs...i want them too...but this isn't gonig to stem the tide.

We all know Bush blew the budget open BY SPENDING. We are this much in debt yet we are in a financial crisis. Obama inherits the mess, declares what Bush administration and Congress did was wrong, then uses it justify the record shattering trillion plus bill?

Come on guys.

You know this isn't going to work. I wish it would but it won't.

I feel bad for what is about to come down on the public. They honestly don't know how bad it really is nor do they realize the real ramifications of all this money being spent.

The man may have all the best intentions, but IMO he is flat out wrong. He is going to make things worse.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
You know, I have to agree that we need to understand something collectively. What some will call pork, others see as a well-deserved respite from economic hardship. I can't say that I begrudge any one group of people who get targeted for relief. More's the pity that we can't ALL benefit directly. But apparently, there isn't going to be enough to really solve this problem for all of us, a la 'instant happy pill.'

Only, the fact is, we, as a people are well-aware of the political tactic of 'riding the relief.' We know all too well that the American people can no longer regard our governance with apathy. We have to scrutinize their work with the due diligence of the OWNERS of this nation. It is the price the American people MUST pay to survive this era. We are at a crossroads as a nation; either we take active control of our country, or let it be bought and sold, with the profits being divvied up by the barons of industry.

Our political machinery is either broken or OBSOLETE. They no longer hear the popular voice, and they use screenplay tactics to manipulate opinion, all to further ends that somehow, never turn out in our favor. With them it's the paradigm of catastrophe after catastrophe, doom, and fear. In the final analysis, they were on watch as all this built up and took shape. Yup, I'm outright saying it, they are to blame. Our politicians were certainly no defenders of the people of the United States. And Schumer is quintessentially typical of his 'class.' I would venture to bet that he is quite proud of thinking of himself someone who doesn't need the good will of "the chattering class."

I say, let him call me a 'chattering class' citizen if he likes, I will chatter until I am satisfied that these career politicians' "professional" machinations are irrelevant to the governance of this nation. It's high noon. Americans must either stand up and be counted upon, or sit down and be counted.

All politics aside, we have allowed ourselves to be led to this point. It matters nothing how we got here. What matters is we must endure and overcome our plight.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is exactly the reason our country is in so much economic trouble because of people like Schumer who think We The People are not smart enough to hold the government accountable on how they spend We The People's money.

We The People are held accountable on how we spend our money but when the government takes possession of our money derived from taxes it is a different story and they spend our money like a drunken pirate on shore leave with no accountability.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I think he's talking about the Republicans in Congress that are going in and picking out the little "porky pieces" and focusing on them to get the American public to turn against support for the bill.

And let me say this to all the "Chattering Class" who are focusing on those little porky amendments: The American people really don't care.

He's talking TO the chattering class - ABOUT the American people.

On this point, you and I disagree. I "listened" to his enunciation and "watched" his manner as he spoke those words. You cannot change that perception.

But carry on!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
While by now Obama original economical stimulus look like a joke thanks to both Democrats and Republicans in the house and senate.

This actually what Republicans are looking for.

The vast majority of the Republican Senators (36 of 41) agreed to oppose the Obama stimulus plan altogether and replace it with $3 trillion in tax cuts over the next 10 years. First of all, politicians love throwing out numbers like “10 years” because it gives a time frame which exceeds their term limitations. President Obama spoke many times during his campaign about making sweeping changes to energy policy in “10 years”

Aside from the continued Republican infatuation with tax breaks for the wealthy – and the politicized frame of reference – we should be alarmed by the provisions being “cut” in order to appease Republicans. This country desperately needs funding for education, research, energy and infrastructure. All of these areas saw their funding slashed by the Senate. This country needs fewer tax cuts and fewer rebates to the top income earners; “trickle down” economics are a proven failure. These areas saw their funding increase in the new Senate version.

www.economyincrisis.org...

I am sorry to bring this to you but by the way the bill is right now, this is going to be the most Irresponsible Wasteful Spending, bloated by a trillion dollar spending bill.

And Obama should veto it.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Cutting research and energy should be paid for by the companies deriving the profits from those projects. When the president of GE is one of the ones that will reap the profits and pushing these projects and they own 88% + of the rights to that same green tech then I say let GE pay for it. They can afford to controll the market in those areas then we as citizens should not bere the brunt of the cost!
Zindo

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
context included, it appears he meant what the OP implied he meant.

I fully agree. He's just trying to push his boss's spending bill ... aka 'stimulus' bill.

We're getting royally screwed here.

I fully agree. We shouldn't have any 'stimulus bill'. It won't be stimulating much and it means the end of the free market. As pointed out by ZindoDoone - the American people shouldn't have their tax money go to corporations that should be making their own money. If they aren't good enough to make it, then they shouldn't be in business.

Originally posted by Maxmars
Our political machinery is either broken or OBSOLETE.

I agree. It's broken. Absolutely. I don't know if it can be repaired. DC doesn't listen to the American people anymore. Most didn't want to go to Iraq. Most don't want this non-stimulus package. They just do what they want, not what WE THE PEOPLE want.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join