It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Comes Wal-Mart with Layoffs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I thought Wal-mart was making hay with all the crisis going on, I thought they have been making money hand over fist... but I guess not.

They have announced a round of lay-offs

link to article :www.nwaonline.net...

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., began laying off employees at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club home offices this morning, according to two sources.
We have heard anything from 700 to 1,400, but we have no idea," Clifford said.

A woman who said she lost her job today as a recruiting coordinator for Wal-Mart told The Morning News that she was called into a meeting at 8:30 a.m. with a group of other people from her department and was told that they were among 700 people being laid off.

If Wal-mart is now laying people off, the "silver lining" the MSM keeps saying is around.... will have to come down.

Wal-mart is the main shopping store of the U.S.

"It is bad out there. I don't think it's hard to overstate right now just how bad it is. Consumers have a complete lack of confidence because there is no safe haven — no job is a safe job."

Wal-Mart Stores posted a 2.1 percent increase in same-store sales in the U.S. in the fourth quarter. Deck said though Wal-Mart is performing relatively well in the retail sector, "the company must be thinking strategically about costs and its work force."

Now, if they had an increase of sales in the 4th quarter, why is it they need to lay off people? Are they getting ready for what is coming down the line?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
They are either canceling or postponing building new stores, too. We were scheduled for a 2nd one where I live, and they pushed it back a year.

It seems like McDonalds is the only one doing really good now.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well, to use an overused word the financial media loves to throw around, when a true economic bellwhether company like WalMart lays off 700 people, it sends a shiver down my spine. This further verifies a theory I've been sitting on for awhile now. I've had a thought in the back of my head that there's been alot of behind the scenes pressure from the government, from investors, and from people in high places whose names tend to not be made public for companies to "spread the pain" so to speak. Up to now, the one hole in that theory has been that really profitable companies like McDonalds and Walmart weren't taking part in the layoffs... now that hole has been partially plugged, so maybe I'm onto something?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

It seems like McDonalds is the only one doing really good now.

McDonalds and every firearm/ammunition manufacturer and retailer in the country.

Gun sales are still at record highs.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I thought that was a really good OP.

I also thought that Wal-Mart must be booming because of their inexpensive items and the bad economy and all that. I had no idea. Wal-Mart is a HUGE employer and they employ people who may have trouble finding work elsewhere. That's horrible.

I hope the stimulus will work. I can't think of anything else to do if it fails, honestly.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Wow even the low-income people are being fired?
I expected this but i hoped i was wrong.
I guess hope is useless and more people will suffer and the economy will go into inflation for sure.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Its bad if their having to pay off workers. Does anyone know if their lay-offs will affect their subsidiary`s in the UK...ie, Asda?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Wal-Mart is a HUGE employer and they employ people who may have trouble finding work elsewhere. That's horrible.

Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the world.

Topping the list are these giant enterprises*:

1. Wal-Mart Stores, United States, 1,800,000 employees

2. Deutsche Post, Germany, 502,545 employees

3. Siemens Group, Germany, 461,000 employees

4. McDonald's, United States, 447,000 employees

5. Carrefour, France, 440,479 employees

6. Compass Group, United Kingdom, 410,074 employees

7. United Parcel Service, United States, 407,000 employees

8. Gazprom, Russia, 396,571 employees

9. DaimlerChrysler, Germany, 382,724 employees

10. Hitachi, Japan, 355,879 employees

LINK HERE

This is not good news at all. I just hope that the real layoff numbers are not suppressed/hidden from the general public.

*Edited for spelling error

[edit on 10-2-2009 by SpaDe_]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Keep in mind also that wal-mart has already cut hours/days on employees that have worked there for years... and started doing this months ago.

Walmart has also, for the past year, been downsizing their products while raising prices on those products... then downsizing them again. I've been watching some very clever strategies.

They are presently increasing prices tremendously where I live in north Florida... everytime I enter the store... which is a couple times a week. And I am not referring to a couple cents here and there... more like 55 cents here, 75 cents there.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Wal-Mart is and has always been a savvy money making company. They will make the necessary cuts to maintain their profits. I would even say that they would cut higher pay staffs to keep more lower staff to keep the wages they pay out as low as possible.

It sucks but just about every business is doing it.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Everyone seems to be missing the keywords in the post. It says that the lay-offs are at the HOME OFFICES of Walmart and Sam's Clubs. They aren't quite selling off the slaves yet.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Don't worry they are on the first phase of the cuts. Get rid of the low performers first and see what happens. ot a big deal all companies do the same thing. Were actually hiring.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
A lot of companies can use a recession to lay off unwanted people, or positions they were looking for a way to cut anyways. It woulnd't look good to let go of 700 people when things are good. Wal-mart has had less then steller profits but profits none the less.

So they drove out all the competitors, so they lost jobs and businesses, force companies to sell merchendice for far less then they wanted too. Force states to pick up the health insurance tabs by not offering health insurance and paying so low that people have to use the state to get covered, and now the first chance they get, they lay off people who desperately need those jobs, in places that they don't have any work because wal-mart drove them off.

This company is truley evil to the core.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
A lot of companies can use a recession to lay off unwanted people, or positions they were looking for a way to cut anyways. It woulnd't look good to let go of 700 people when things are good. Wal-mart has had less then steller profits but profits none the less.

So they drove out all the competitors, so they lost jobs and businesses, force companies to sell merchendice for far less then they wanted too. Force states to pick up the health insurance tabs by not offering health insurance and paying so low that people have to use the state to get covered, and now the first chance they get, they lay off people who desperately need those jobs, in places that they don't have any work because wal-mart drove them off.

I don't know...there's still quite a few competitors left, and at the rate this economy is going, we will be lucky if we still have even WalMart in a few years. Notice how all the stories about "walmart is evil" disappeared after the start of the crisis now that people need them the most. And these aren't store jobs, which make up their majority of workers. They are just trimming some fat like every other business is doing at the moment. I don't particularly like Wal-Mart, I do shop there on occasion, but there are more important things to worry about now.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes they are, stores like them help kill the middle class in America.

Perhaps now the small mama and papa businesses may have a change again.

I still will not go into wal-mart for any of my needs.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I searched (although I'm admittedly new and not good at it) and couldn't find anything, so...

Target recently cut 1,100 jobs and closed 400 open positions, although very little seems to have been said about it. Management at my store addressed the cuts in a store meeting. Store managers and up get no raises and no bonuses this year as well.

link
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Really? When did Target, K-Mart, Meijer... go out of business?
Walmart actually offers quite a good health-care plan.
Their average pay is over $11/hr, which is pretty good for an unskilled, undereducated worker.
Most people who bash Walmart still shop there.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes they are, stores like them help kill the middle class in America.

Perhaps now the small mama and papa businesses may have a change again.

I still will not go into wal-mart for any of my needs.

These small mom and pop stores paid their employees salaries and provided them with healthcare plans?

Stores like Walmart help the middle class by providing them with cheap products.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I'm thinkin that they are going "out with the old, in with the new". They have been running tons of ads in our local papers as 2 days ago hiring all sorts of jobs at the "home offices". Cutting back by paying the new guys less than the old ones were makin? Seems to be the american way, these days.

Now, please keep in mind, I'm in PA and these jobs are in Arkansas and are advertising for 32 jobs available at the home offices. These are listed as nationwide careerbuilder.com jobs. I hope this isn't the same jobs that are being taken away, but probably are.

A_L

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Wow, when it rains it pours. I've seen companies that was promised to never take a loss take severe losses. It seems like the world as we know it is already changing and its not even 2012 yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join