It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Night Thinking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Sometimes, instead of sleeping, I end up feverishly thinking about something for hours and hours. It makes time go by fast like sleeping does, but I'm completely aware of everything. Last time this happened, I ended up thinking about banking. All I really remember from it was thinking about lots of big numbers and how banks could do better.

But this has also happened where I'd thinking about what it'd be like to have cocoons growing on your shirt, so you couldn't take the shirt off until the butterflies came out because they were super rare or something.

What weirds me out about it is that I know when I'm doing this, but I can not stop it. And the thoughts come so fast, much faster than I'd be able to force myself to think if it were daytime. It's like instead of resting, my mind is spinning out of control on a completely irrelevant thought.

Does anyone else experience this? It's not normal night time thinking, because I still do feel rested afterwards, like I needed to get that craziness out of my mind.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
hmmm i dont think i have ever heard of anything like this. do you take any pills?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
hmmm i dont think i have ever heard of anything like this. do you take any pills?

On occasion I take melatonin, but that's like once a month when I need to be asleep early.

And this also started happening before I started taking it.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

I don't think Melatonin or Valerian Root (both natural sleeping aids) would have any affect on what you're experiencing. I know, sometimes I'll be so wide awake and my mind races like a million miles a minute, when my thoughts become jumbled up or stop making sense, I know I'm getting close to sleep...

Is it possible that you are just lucid dreaming? (Referring to the cocoons & butterflies). What makes you so sure, that you are awake, since you are still rested in the morning as if you had of slept? I'm not sure what you're experiencing.

- Carrot

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
reply to post by sadisticwoman

I don't think Melatonin or Valerian Root (both natural sleeping aids) would have any affect on what you're experiencing. I know, sometimes I'll be so wide awake and my mind races like a million miles a minute, when my thoughts become jumbled up or stop making sense, I know I'm getting close to sleep...

Is it possible that you are just lucid dreaming? (Referring to the cocoons & butterflies). What makes you so sure, that you are awake, since you are still rested in the morning as if you had of slept? I'm not sure what you're experiencing.

- Carrot

I know I'm still awake because occasionally my faster thoughts get stopped dead by my thinking about my surroundings, such as a cat shifting in his sleep, or some crickets outside.

It's not like dreaming, because it's not images I'm seeing, I'm just thinking. Have you ever had a really bad fever where you think about the most ridiculous things, but you can't stop? That's what it feels like, but I have taken my temperature every time this happens and I am a normal temp every time.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I have this when I lay down for naps and when going to bed. At times it slips into imagery as well. I consider a form of lucid dreaming, but it's certainly some form of hypnogogic state. These sorts of states of mind have been used by artists and thinkers for centuries for solving complex problems they face or for inspiration. Not something I've ever been overly concerned about, much like sleep paralysis and other phenomena.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Some B vitamins cause more waking memory of dreams.
If you are taking any b supplements or are eating high protien late in the day you might consider reducing those for a few weeks to see if you get any change.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I do experience this from time to time. It happens more often and more vividly if I have a fever. There is a sort of 'logic' that makes sense at the time, but on awakening completely, I find that whatever was going on in my head is not something that can be communicated in spoken language.

I would equate it with 'delirium', but that doesn't explain why it happens occasionally when I'm feeling fine. It is most probably something to do with '___' and the pineal gland.

The way you describe it, although you insist you are 'awake', sounds like an in-between state, almost a form of sleep-paralysis (which I define as the body's systems shutting down or waking up in the 'wrong sequence'). To me it sounds like everything else is ready for sleep, but your consciousness is not. So it stays active, even though the '___' is starting to flow, causing the thoughts to be 'surreal'.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Teratoma

That is EXACTLY what I experience.

And I do have a pineal gland disorder (strange for a Discordian though!).

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

That is EXACTLY what I experience.

And I do have a pineal gland disorder (strange for a Discordian though!).

LOL well there you go! I'm a little confused by that statement though. What I think is strange is that a Discordian would refer to it as a "disorder". Or maybe that's what you meant.

I'm no doctor, but I watch one on TV. Seriously though, I'd be surprised if what you're describing wasn't related to that.

I'm typically a light sleeper, so I experience this often when I change positions in my sleep. Sometimes when I turn over, I come very close to waking up, but my "conscious" thoughts at the time might be of perceiving myself as a bundle of sticks rolling around in the back of a truck, or something equally removed from "reality".

I would be willing to bet that you don't actually spend as much time in this state as you think - that your perception of time is affected by the '___', and you're actually only spending a few minutes at a time like this as you drift in and out of the different levels of sleep. Tell me, do you feel like you're being cheated out of a good night's rest when this happens?

[edit to add:]

...What's funny is that when I saw your thread title I knew exactly what your post was going to be about! I may have gotten around to posting a thread about it myself someday.

[edit on 2/13/2009 by Teratoma]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Not really. I feel a little bit more tired than I should, but not too much.

D: If that is what '___' does, I'm glad I've never done drugs. It's kind of scary.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

Not really. I feel a little bit more tired than I should, but not too much.

D: If that is what '___' does, I'm glad I've never done drugs. It's kind of scary.

Well, when one opens that particular door, one would do well to know what kind of things might be behind it.

You don't watch a scary movie for its 'romantic' content. But if you don't like being frightened, or don't find amusement in the macabre, you shouldn't be watching scary movies anyway.

'tis best to know your limits - and only push them if you want to.

[edit - typo]

[edit on 2/13/2009 by Teratoma]

new topics

top topics

join