It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN LHC postponed until September

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
SOURCE:

www.newsdaily.com...

After another short technical stop at the end of 2009, the collider will run until autumn next year, producing enough data on the smallest building blocks of matter to announce results in 2010, it said.

Personally, i can wait as long as it takes. When it gained massive popularity this past fall, I was all for the go, and incredibly interested in it. However, after so many delays, It seems like a dull subject to me. Its starting to seem a bit silly that we spent that much on it, when kids in poor nations eat nothing more than a bowl of rice per day.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm with you.
Postpone this thing - to never.
IMO - Too expensive and too risky.
Someone should have told us about this little experiment BEFORE it was built.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
I'm with you.
Postpone this thing - to never.
IMO - Too expensive and too risky.
Someone should have told us about this little experiment BEFORE it was built.

Well, I mean it's already built, might as well run it... And personally I have absolutely no doubt that it will NOT create a black hole or whatever other speculations there were about it.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Right, It sounds like they have more doubt in what is going to happen anyways. Post pone in atleast until 2012. That way the US can build their own.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

And personally I have absolutely no doubt that it will NOT create a black hole or whatever other speculations there were about it.

That certainly was a concern... And it likely WILL create mini black-holes, but they won't exist but for a fraction of a second, and be microscopic in size....according to "them".....

However, we also remember spacecraft disasters where folks forgot to carry a 1, etc. and bam...there goes 100's of millions of dollars out into space...

So, you can't be too judgemental of the folks wondering if experiments based on statistics (of which most physics are, and when statistics themselves could be described as pseudoscience)....will do exactly what they think it will do. After all, isn't the point of the experiments to see what will happen? Let's just hope they're right (and remembered to carry the 1), shall we?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Meh, you're bound to break some space/time continuum eggs when making a big bang omelet.

I say let it rip!

What's the worse that could happen?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hi all, this is my first post. I was holidaying in Switzerland in January and overheard something in a bar that I found a bit disturbing regarding the LHC in CERN. The guys talking all worked on the particle accelerator. They were in a secluded corner and didn't realise that I could over hear them. Basically, they were saying that the fault on the machine wasn't caused by a fault, but more by an effect of the machine. From what I could gather, the 'small black holes' created when the machine was switched on actually caused the damage to the machine, hence it is more of a job to correct it than was first envisaged. I'm not sure whether this was a bona fide conversation, or just a bit of a joke on their part. Question : Has anyone else heard anything along these lines. RBA.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TamtammyMacx

the US canceled plans for new very large particle accelerators back around the 90s due to budget cuts. We could have had fun toys like the LHC, but the US isn't as big into science these days. I'd list that as one of the reasons we're losing ground to other countries.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Well, I think that they haven't reached that part of the experiment yet. I don't think they have had it running long enough yet. The black holes come later when they start crashing stuff together. I could be wrong.

new topics

join