It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead teenager 'chose road over Taser'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
A teenager chose the road, instead of being tasered by the Police. The police gave him the option... lay down on the road, or get tasered.

When he laid down on the road, a car ran over him!

link: www.brisbanetimes.com.au...

16-year-old boy who was killed by a car while under arrest for aggressive behaviour lay down on the road after being threatened with a Taser, police have said.

Police intercepted the boy on Albion Street at Brasall, Ipswich, after receiving reports of a man allegedly carrying a machete about 11pm on Saturday.

Deputy Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said police confronted the youth, who was unarmed at the time, and after they presented a Taser, he lay down on the road.

While the teenager was on the road, he was hit by an 18-year-old female driver of a car. Police said they tried to warn the woman, but without success.

One question, why in the world would they make a kid lay down in the road, but also upon doing that, why didn't they make sure no traffic was able to possibly hit him?

The whole incident doesn't make sense.... why in the "middle" of a road?

The kid wasn't doing anything either!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Woot! Yay, cops!

Why dont we have a nice vomit smiley? I think this is the perfect case for one.

Oh, snap ther is one!

Double woot!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Down down down down.... splat.

The sound of civilization emulating the incident.... and the answer to all of your questions regarding this and other matters.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
No one is getting this yet, and taking to the streets on this issue. THIS IS THE SS, they're not working on behalf of the public any longer, but are working against them. The nazi's won WWII, subversively, and took over the US via project paperclip. The war was over in the 40s, but I was becing abducted by some nazi/grey program starting in 67 or 68. Connect the dots! Take to the streets and stop this ASAP. Too many teenagers (children!!!!!!) are being murdered by the SS now. I still recall that 16 year old with the broken back tasered repeatedly. Get rid of the Nazis and the SS.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Ack. Thats just awful.

I hope those cops get terminated for that. Making someone lay down in a roadway seems like it is obviously "reckless endangerment" of another human being. And in this case, the reckless endangerment led to death. It seems to me they should be guilty of manslaughter.

www.nswccl.org.au...

New South Wales is unique in defining murder as intent to cause death or grievous bodily harm and recklessness as to death, while considering recklessness as to causing grievous bodily harm manslaughter.

Although I do not know how much laws vary from one part of Australia to another.

link   
Hmmm something just does not add up here, How did the police try to warn the female diver? Surely they would have been at least able to walk on to the road and stand there, Im sure she would have stopped seeing a a few police men standing there,

I also thought they would have directed him to at least the pavement while warning him if he made a false move he would be zapped,

Very odd indeed,

link   
Why didn’t the cops have him lie down on the side walk or somebody’s yard? And people wonder why there is so much Cop bashing on these threads because of their ineptness some kid is dead I hope they live with that for the rest of their lives

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I agree.

The area looks very residential:

Link.

EDIT:

I just realized they have street level views. This image really puts it into perspective:

[edit on 10-2-2009 by loam]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Wow, This is very unfortunate.

I guess that brings a new meaning to policing the streets

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Anyone else smell that.......smells like.....like a Lawsuit. That police department is ******. Also how did the 18 Female not notice cops and a guy laying on the ground?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Police are charged with protecting the public, and consistently they are failing in this duty through their own intervention and incompetence.

There should be no question that a police officer who fails to use basic common sense or even simple intelligence should be immediately fired. The results of any investigation are irrelevant, if they've allowed a person to be killed due to their inadequate actions they should not be in this role as of such an incident. And then, pending investigation, they should be charged with manslaughter.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The police officers were negligent in this case. Too bad a kid had to lose his life. The cop should be held accountable.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Police are charged with protecting the public, and consistently they are failing in this duty through their own intervention and incompetence.

That's freaking hysterical.

Police have absolutely no duty or obligation to protect anybody.

At least in the U.S. anyway.

By a vote of 7-to-2, the Supreme Court ruled that Gonzales has no right to sue her local police department for failing to protect her and her children from her estranged husband.

Castle Rock v. Gonzales

They can sit by and watch you get raped for 20 minutes then shot in the face six times.

Police are purely reactionary. They show up an hour too late, call an ambulance for you, listen to your story, and go on about their lifes reading newspapers in their cruisers in the Burger King parking lot.

A cop on the street is just as likely as any other thug to commit a crime against you and far more likely than any thug to get away with doing so.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
In many scenarios the police will try and get the person on the ground where ever they are at for their and the public safety when a possible weapon is involved or aggressive behavior. This person was supposed to be armed possibly and was going around with a machete ( sounds like a nut). There was probably a very short period of time before they tell the kid to get down and the person runs him over. The driver is the main person at fault IMO, how did she not notice 2 cops, their cars and a person laying in the road with tasers drawn on him? A good way to make sure this doesn't happen to you is not be a crazy person with a machete or get in trouble.

Ohh that's right though we only blame the government, police and any and all Americans on this website these days. I forgot my bad. And please enough with the SS comments it makes you look like a nut. Call them pigs, knuckle dragging morons or even baby killers but the SS ? wtf.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This post is deceiving. The boy was not given the choice between laying down on the road or getting tasered.

You need to put it in perspective.
The police roll up on the kid and tell him to freeze, hands in the air, turn around, etc.. because they believed he may have had a machete or other weapons and supposedly he was showing aggression.

They are pointing the taser at him while giving the commands. The kid gets down on the ground where he was stopped which happens to be the street.

An 18 year old girl distracted by the pretty bright red and blue lights comes driving around the corner, probably talking on a cell phone, music on and speeding and runs over the kid. The police try to get the kid out of the way or wave her off but it is to late.

This does not relieve the police of the responsibility for the death. As soon as they stopped the kid, his safety was their responsibility.

It was poor decision making from the police, poor driving skills from the girl, and what was the boy doing walking around with a machete threatening people. If he did not do that none of this would have happened.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SailorinAZ

An 18 year old girl distracted by the pretty bright red and blue lights comes driving around the corner, probably talking on a cell phone, music on and speeding and runs over the kid. The police try to get the kid out of the way or wave her off but it is to late.

Distracted by the red and blue lights

I slow down and pay more attention when I see those red and blue lights.

Also was it mentioned that she was on her cell phone?
And was there music? and finally why would anybody speed past red and blue flashing lights?

And for the cops they should have known the road was dangerous if it's their patrol area.

Fffpppt

Both the girl and the cops should see their day in court and the judge should make sure they know that they will be held accountable

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Distracted by the red and blue lights

I slow down and pay more attention when I see those red and blue lights.

Also was it mentioned that she was on her cell phone?
And was there music? and finally why would anybody speed past red and blue flashing lights?

Those comments you mention smell a lot like gender based characterizations to me.

Sailor was just using all the "bad female driver" prejudicial assumptions he knew to prove his point. If it were an old person, he would likely have used "old person" generalizations for their bad driving.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Either way, it would be nice to see the cruiser cam video of this incident. Just hearing about it in words doesn't really describe it. I doubt the cops placed him in the road purposefully.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by LDouce90]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I feel like i need to say something here. The report says the youth was unarmed, so he didnt have a machete on him! No one will ever know if he was aggressive or not, as we only have the policemans word on this.

Ofcourse they will claim he was aggressive. They have to make it look like they were acting correctly after this unfortunate incident. Also the report didnt say if the police car was in close proximity of the crash, so at night it could be very difficult to see pedestrians, espesially one lying in the road!

I for one, reading from this article, am convinced the police were neglegable but whether this will reflect in the outcome of the case, should there ever be one, is another story altogether.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDouce90
Either way, it would be nice to see the cruiser cam video of this incident. Just hearing about it in words doesn't really describe it. I doubt the cops placed him in the road purposefully.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by LDouce90]

How do you not place someone in the road purposefully?

new topics

top topics

join