It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch protest Britain's ban of right-wing lawmaker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Dutch protest Britain's ban of right-wing lawmaker

www.iht.com

THE HAGUE, Netherlands: The British government banned Dutch right-wing lawmaker Geert Wilders from visiting the country to show his anti-Islam film "Fitna" at the Houses of Parliament, Wilders said Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Wilders said he was invited by a member of British Parliament's upper house, the House of Lords, to show his 15-minute film, which criticizes the Quran as a "fascist book."

But he was informed Tuesday in a letter from the British Embassy he would not be allowed into Britain.

The film sparked violent protests around the Muslim world last year for linking Quranic verses with footage of terrorist attacks.

In a telephone interview Wilders called the decision "cowardly" and vowed to defy it.

No matter if you agree with Wilders or not, I find it quite shocking that one of the oldest democracies denies access to a politician. Regardless of one's views, I think the freedom of speech and movement (particularly within the EU) should never be forbidden.

What is a democracy without freedom of speech.

Although I think, he is merely fear mongering (but enjoys a great deal of support in the Netherlands, US and Israel), it's a shame that the UK has moved into this direction.

Wilders has already discussed it with his lawyers and says he'll be heading for London anyway.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

I am sure his movie is dumb .. but I have to agree with you, it is a sad display for a Democratic state to demonstrate to the World.

Worse so then this guy's "movie".

Perhaps we are overly concerned with peoples feelings?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Lord Pearson, who invited Wilders to show "Fitna" at the House of Lords on Thursday, said he was "very surprised that the British government should ban a European citizen — and an elected Dutch MP at that — from coming to this country."

He called his government's decision "weak and unacceptable in the extreme."

IHT

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Freedom of speech doesn't count for much in the UK these days. The government is so paranoid that some person/culture/religion might get offended that they just don't let people say anything any more.

In fact, laws passed in the eighties pretty much killed freedom of speech in this country.

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

The police regularly use this law to stop the exercise of free speech precisely because it is so ambiguous about what exactly is considered threatening, abusive, or insulting.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelInterceptor
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

Makes you wonder why all these people weren't arrested:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
His movie may suck, but his standpoints, allbeit a bit radical somtimes, are quite solid. He is one of the few who says what others do not dare for fear of repercussions. I can imagine why they (opposing politicians) don't want him to become too popular. But the way things are going right now, he will only gain more support. Increasingly the dutch people are looking for someone who will putt things straight in our oh-so crooked country (the netherlands).

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Seeing as His Video isnt any real facts just small text taken from Verses of the Quran added with Death and destruction

curious what purpose it would play apart from giving something like the BNP to Share with their supporters or People who dont like Muslims something to have popcorn over.

and yes i have seen it on live leak and thought it was full of BS

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I support free speech for all within acceptable boudaries . This guy is a book burner ( he wants the koran banned in Holland ) The nazis burned books and the Dutch have "burned" mein kampf by banning it . I say let him speak then send him back . I am an aethiest brit who has lived in Rotterdam and Venlo . I love the crazy dutch ! But everyone must be allowed a say .

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Fantastic news that this Dutch fascist demagogue is banned from our shores. The film will be shown in the House of Lords and examined for truthfulness which is good.

We don't need that neonazi disturbing the peace. The irony is that if he made a video of how Jews treat women; shave their head, have intercourse through holes in bed sheets and declare them unclean...etc, he would be declared a hate criminal in the Netherlands and prosecuted.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Nothing surprises me about the UK anymore- we are run by a bunch of degenerates of a liberal/left persuasion, we cannot even deport foreign criminals (THAT IS RIGHT, SOMEONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY COMMITTED A CRIME AS OPPOSED TO HAVING A NON POLITICALLY CORRECT THOUGHT) yet we can ban this man because certain liberal pukes in the establishment disagree with this views.

The storm keeps brewing dudes............

[edit on 12-2-2009 by blueorder]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I consider myself a bit of a lefty, but with an open mind, this man SHOULD be allowed to talk about whatever the hell he wants.

In some ways he is only pointing out what we already know.

These days it's always about how it offends people. Well i'm sorry but the UK used to be about free speech and the right to protest and complain.

So by denying the man this right to speak, proves that our so-called 'lefty' government is actually further rightwing than the man they are denying.

If it offends Muslims so much, then maybe they should address some of the issues the man is speaking about, such as FALSE muslims using the pages of the Koran as a hate issue.

Surely the muslim community should be more offended that other muslims are using their holy scripture as a tool of venemous hatred, as opposed to getting offended because some politician has figured out the same thing.

Freedom of speech, not Orwellian double standards.

Give him a chance, let him speak, if we are against what he says, fine. If we agree, fine.

But give him a chance, otherwise we should not have double standards.
If the Government won't allow this type of hate speech, then surely common sense would dictate that we shouldn't allow Islamic militants to spread their crap through radical mosques and promote Islamic-fascism here in the UK.

If we boot one guy out, then boot out the Cleric freaks who are slowly radicalising the asian youth of the UK.

Unfortunately common sense is what out Government lacks.

top topics

join