It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increased Military Air Activity, Hudson Valley NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Hello, I live in the Hudson Valley of New York State. Lately I have noticed an increase in the amount of military aircraft flying around the skies here. I have a 15 minute walk to and from work (9-5), and every day for the past week and a half I have seen some sort of military aircraft in the area. Just this morning one was circling around the New Paltz, NY area. I know there is a military base about a half hour away from here. If you do a search on Live Maps for "Stewart Airforce Base" it will show you the exact location. If you zoom in and go off to the right a bit, there will be four large military planes, and 8 smaller ones. I have seen the larger ones flying low up the mountain line, and the smaller ones usually circle around over and over. I'm not sure what types of planes these are, but they have been all over the place in the past week and a half. Just last night I heard a helicopter which sounded more like a popping noise than a thumping noise a helicopter usually makes, and once the helicopter was in the distance, I could hear a jet engine roaring. It was about 3:30 in the morning. Normally you can't hear the jets as they go overhead where I live, they are just too high up, something is going on here, has anyone seen an increased activity in their area, or live in my area and noticed it too?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I was just out by this base a week ago getting a package at the Fed Ex place right by there, and I remember counting 7 of those larger airplanes.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I noticed it too. I'm near Monticello, NY and I've seen a few unmarked black helicopters with Radar masts on them. They are a matte black with no Numbers on them, and they fly like a hundred feet over my house. My friends and I fliiped one off a few weeks ago, and they doubled back and buzzed my house!!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I live in the area (on the east side of the Hudson) and haven't noticed anything strange at all. Last year a B2 flew over my house that I heard but did not see as I was too late to view it. We see lots of C5-A's and choppers and now and then one of those Composite EZ's and bi planes from the Airdrome in Rhinebeck.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Those would be OH-58's. The increased activity is either an exercise which the military does all the time or has something to do withe the NSA.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGuardian
Those would be OH-58's. The increased activity is either an exercise which the military does all the time or has something to do withe the NSA.

Really? Something to do with NSA, huh?

Anyway, Stewart ANGB has C-5s and the Marines fly KC-130 aircraft from there. Cicrling around sounds like they are doing pattern work.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I've lived here on and off for over 4 years and haven't seen anything like it before. I wonder what they're prepping for

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I have lived here all my life. This is nothing unusual. They practice touch-n-go and refueling operations all the time. You will usually hear the C5A engines early in the morning after they have finished maintenance and are required to spin them up to at least half power.

It used to be a lot noisier when it was a active Air Force Base back in the 60s and 70s.
I remember as a child hearing the fighters break the sound barrier before it was band over populated areas. Scared the hell out of the cows.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I have lived here all my life. This is nothing unusual. They practice touch-n-go and refueling operations all the time. You will usually hear the C5A engines early in the morning after they have finished maintenance and are required to spin them up to at least half power.

It used to be a lot noisier when it was a active Air Force Base back in the 60s and 70s.
I remember as a child hearing the fighters break the sound barrier before it was band over populated areas. Scared the hell out of the cows.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by catshot

Thanks for the info man, you've calmed me down quite a bit.

join