It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad economy forcing immigrants to reconsider U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Bad economy forcing immigrants to reconsider U.S.

www.cnn.com

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Pedro Pablo slowly folds up his American flag blanket and stuffs it in his duffel bag. With it goes his American dream.
Pedro Pablo, an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, headed home recently due to the bad U.S. economy.

"I left my family and lost four years with them. I will ask them to forgive me," he said.

Pablo is an illegal immigrant from Guatemala who came to the United States to support his wife and five sons back home. When he arrived, construction jobs were plentiful. Over the last year, he says, he's worked three days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
My own stance on illegal immigrants aside I find this troubling because if those willing to work for the lowest bid are struggling to make ends meet and keep their heads above water what is it like for the rest of the nation? Given the slowly tightening economic belt I wonder if this will remain a steady trend or if 2009 could see an increase in the number of illegal immigrants leaving the US to return to their countries of origin to be with family and friends?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Why does the thread topic leave out the fact they are illegal? How could that be a bad thing? They might free up jobs that Americans can now get and the money will be spent here. This also strengthens my opinion that many of these illegals come here to use the country for their benefit. They have no real love for the country or its culture. The going gets tough, the illegals get going.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by Cio88]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cio88

(Must be the exact same headline as used in the news story you're submitting.)

That's the exact wording of the Submit form, so I put it exactly as it appeared on the article.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

That's the exact wording of the Submit form, so I put it exactly as it appeared on the article.

Yeah, sorry about that. Why does CNN leave that fact from the title? Its a rhetorical question. We all know CNN/MSM like to blur the distinction between the legal and illegal. Its like when they claim Republicans are anti-immigrant, when the truth is they are anti-illegal immigrant.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by Cio88]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I agree with Cio88.

This just proves that they don't care about the culture...

And, yes, the article talks about illegal immigrants, not IMMIGRANTS.

It's trying to twist the wordplay around to make people think that all immigrants want to leave the country.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'm in construction and could give a rats ass about illegal immigrants and their trials and tribulations in life. many people have been affected by the economic crisis.

I have been struggling and affected by illegal immigrants before this economic crisis even started. I have been out of work for almost 2 years because I (a legal American born citizen) have to fight for the right to work in my own country.

20 years of experience and my own truck and tools/knowledge to do every phase of home building. Unlike others who specialize in one area, I do evrything and they expect me to work for the same salary as an illegal P.O.S.

How come they(state/federal agencies) aren't being held accountable for treason , aiding and abetting a crime and accomplice to any crime illegals pepurtrate, and harboring fugitives. they should be charged with over 20 million counts.They also use resources which should be made available to americans, in aid of the illegals.

I have a family member who got screwed for something he didn't do. Here's the LINK.
As a matter of fact the state of NY manipulated it to their favor in excess of $100,000 (with interest because he won't pay it) and he has all the documentation to prove his innocence.He has contacted lawyers, all NY senators, the DOJ,mayor bloomberg, civil rights activists, immigration reform law institute, ACLU and scores of others who don't reply to his pleas for justice. Only 2 persons replied and said they couldn't help.

I understand the point you're trying to make. Yeah it must be real bad when an illegal, lawbreaking piece of *snip* can't get a job for minimum wage but I don't care if he dies. My family's lifestyle has been destroyed due to the economic turmoil we have suffered at the injustice of the LAWMAKERS/LAW UPHOLDERS of this cesspool of a country.They turned it into a 3rd world scumhole

*snip*

[edit on 10/2/2009 by Revealation]

Mod Note: Fixed link added by member. Also, removed threats of violence. Please review this link: The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

[edit on 2/10/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
sh!#t when the illegals leave this country to go back to mexico to work for 10 dollars a day you know something is horribly wrong.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Illegal Migrant Workers.

There used to be a work program with Mexico. But some politician - I think in Texas - made it their platform to end this work program and give the jobs of picking crops to Americans.

Result: Crops rotted in the fields. Millions of dollars were lost.

In San Diego a couple years ago - millions of dollars were lost because US farmers could not get enough workers to harvest their fields. Some farmers have resorted to black market - paying illegals cash under the table - - just to get their fields harvested.

In my area - there are farmers that have crop farms both in the US and Mexico. They are now abandoning their US farms and moving their whole industry to Mexico.

This is a very complex problem - - it is not a single issue.

Being "Right" is not always the right thing to do. People need to look beyond Media propaganda.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

That's just what they want you to think.

They only want you to think that the illegal immigrants can do the jobs that we can't.

Who is to say that I wouldn't do these menial jobs?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

A little something to keep in mind...

It would do well if everyone keeps this thread in mind before posting in what could possibly be a volatile issue.

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

This issue can be discussed with civility and decorum. If any member feels they cannot post in such a manner, it is kindly suggested that you refrain from posting and move along to another thread.

Adherence to this request is expected.

[edit on 2/10/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by Annee

That's just what they want you to think.

They only want you to think that the illegal immigrants can do the jobs that we can't.

Who is to say that I wouldn't do these menial jobs?

What part of "crops rotting in the fields - millions of dollars lost" - are you not getting?

Feel free to apply for the job.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
i would, but most of the jobs in my area are in fact getting worked by illegals working for 5 bucks an hour. i was actualy told by an employer that they only liked to hire hispanics?!?!!? an i have 4 yrs. experience in the feild. but then again theres no americans like me despratly looking for work, well just leave that to the mexicans that do for next to nothing. ie SLAVE LABOR

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by invisibleman11
i would, but most of the jobs in my area are in fact getting worked by illegals working for 5 bucks an hour. i was actualy told by an employer that they only liked to hire hispanics?!?!!? an i have 4 yrs. experience in the feild. but then again theres no americans like me despratly looking for work, well just leave that to the mexicans that do for next to nothing. ie SLAVE LABOR

OK - so we should re-instate the Legal Work Program?

The immigration and laws cracking down on illegal immigrants is working. There is a shortage of workers.

It isn't just our failing economy. Migrant workers have been a staple of our agricultural industry. They are now being forced to develop in their own country.

Many in my area are going back to Mexico - and finding jobs in the agricultural development going on there.

Did you know warehouses are being built all along the southern US/Mex border? Products from all over the world and local produce can now be housed in these specially designed warehouses until ready to ship.

This is really a very complex problem that people should research before just jumping on the bandwagon of illegal Mexicans.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Good riddance to bad rubbish I say. Yes I feel for them to a certain extent, as I also have a family to provide for. But if you are an illegal alien, you are taking a job from a legal alien, or even worse a US citizen. I don't want to hear the crap about doing jobs citizens don't want to do. There are plenty of citizens that will/want to work in kitchens and restaurants that are no longer able to, because someone else from Guatemala is doing it for $2 an hour.

Bye.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by invisibleman11

OK - so we should re-instate the Legal Work Program?

The immigration and laws cracking down on illegal immigrants is working. There is a shortage of workers.

A shortage of workers!!!!!!!!!! look at the unemployment figures, they look like they did in the 70'S, and those are just the people filling for unemployment. we are loosing well over 500,000 american jobs a month and you want illegals to take these jobs. i do feel fo these peoples poor living conditions but i feel more for people like me who cant feed my family right now...but forget the taxpaying american citizen and give my job to those poor illegal workers.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It seems you all have your minds made up. Protect your own back porch.

Just thought I'd try to inject an alternative slant.

Hope everyone has a job and is able to provide for their families.

Later.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I have decided to protect my family and the American people against foreign workers stealing American jobs in times of economic resection. Yes. I must be a racist hillbilly huh?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

We all want that, but the story shouldn't focus on illegal immigrants. The word "illegal" is there for a reason.

I am worried about Americans and our families.....not people who are here illegally.

JMO...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

A friendly reminder...

Let's please allow cooler heads to prevail here.

Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link

Once again, this topic can be discussed in an intelligent and civil manner with an iota of decorum. Let's not go off the deep end here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join