It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$$$$ Buy Canadian $$$

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

OTTAWA ---- Two major unions are demanding the government adopt a Buy Canadian policy to save jobs. The Canadian Auto Workers and United Steel Workers say tax money spent on infrastructure projects should go to Canadian workers. The call comes after the federal government lobbied hard in Washington against a "Buy American" policy after a multibillion-dollar bailout policy. CAW President Ken Lewenza says the Federal and Provincial governments are ready to spend billions without any guarantee's the money will keep Canadian's working. He says it's not protectionism but common sense. Ken Neumaan , national director of the Steel Workers union, said a economy can't prosper without a steel industry. "

link

*snip*
Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link. Also, when starting a thread please add your own opinion to the issue at hand, as opposed to simply a cut and paste job from a news source.

[edit on 2/10/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
this is hardly surprising, canada should certainly do this if the US is and it is natural for a Union to suggest it.

any chance of a link to the full story by the way?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Thx Marie_stardust , to new to reply in a u2u, still learning ropes here

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It's the only step that makes sense if America decides to buy internally. I think it's something we should have been doing for years. Canada has gotten too deeply involved with the US and we're going to feel the repercussions of that big time. Our economy is faltering and we're going to drown with America if we don't let go soon. We just have to start investing in our own resources for once. I know Saskatchewan has massive amounts of untapped resources up North and I'm sure a lot of other provinces have a lot of potential for economic growth.

Just for some interesting stats and info:
Canada's Top Exports

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Not only sharing the highest import , export with the US , the longest unguarded border, now is the worst time to build walls

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I don't think an unguarded border is anything to worry about. America has too few resources and too many enemies to risk attacking a neighbour and one of the few real allies they have. It's not like Canadians took the initiative of putting forth this proposal, the US has put forth the Buy America plan and Canada has to act accordingly to make sure our economy doesn't falter too badly from the loss of exports.

join