It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe that spirituality/psychic awareness can be measured?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Do you believe that spirituality and intuitiveness i.e pyschic awareness (outside of the box) can be measured?

The reason I ask/write this question to you is because I was mediatating yesterday and this very question cropped up. Now today I have read a thread that made me remebmer what it was I was trying to decypher.

I won't go into great detail about the meditation just yet because it was mind bogglingly complex and confusing and I want to see if anyone can empathise with me?

Can it?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Yeah.

Google 'presentiment experiment', it does produce results. Or 'Ganzfeld experiments', same story. Measurable results. Not exactly measurable in the sense of energy coming out because well, as far as i know and i could be wrong, we can't measure it as of yet.

Presentiment

Ganzfeld

Although. noosphere.princeton.edu... does measure [something]

Hope this helps.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
Do you believe that spirituality and intuitiveness i.e pyschic awareness (outside of the box) can be measured?

If you believe that spirituality can be measured, then all results of this believed measurement stand for interpretation and is therefore subject to another belief, i.e. whether it is right, wrong, close to right, close to wrong, possibly right, possibly wrong, etc.

Greetings

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWriter

If you believe that spirituality can be measured, then all results of this believed measurement stand for interpretation and is therefore subject to another belief, i.e. whether it is right, wrong, close to right, close to wrong, possibly right, possibly wrong, etc.

Greetings

If this had been a thread started by one of the well known people here, I am 100% sure that the majority of the abundant replies would have said yes it can be measured, just like the first post. However, as I am not a well known ATS member it receives only 2 posts. Which doesn't matter, because IMHO the answer lies within.

To try and measure anything outside the framework we live in, using ideas and knowledge from the framework within, is sheer ludicrous.

IMO it can't possibly be measured, if we try and measure pyschic awareness then (as we always do) we limit our knowledge by trying to contain it within the knowledge of what we already know. Therfore, no room for expansion. (Blinkers if you will)

To me, psychic awareness can never be measured by a group of people in white coats, through science and text books. It is a personal journey where the only entity that can understand it and nurture it is the person that encouters it and that is of course is ourselves.

I am thrilled that you took the time out and replied to this thread with the answer I was indeed looking for. So many posts on here are by people that don't understand what life is about and its extremely refreshing to read a post by an author that doesn't have its head in the sand.

Thankyou.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Hi there. Don’t worry about the number of replies, because quantity really doesn’t matter.

In addition to what you are talking about in regard to experience I can only add that the proof of the pudding definitely is in the eating.

IMO it can't possibly be measured, if we try and measure pyschic awareness then (as we always do) we limit our knowledge by trying to contain it within the knowledge of what we already know. Therfore, no room for expansion. (Blinkers if you will)

Yes. And with every attempt to define yourself, truth becomes fiction. I agree with you.

It is a personal journey where the only entity that can understand it and nurture it is the person that encouters it and that is of course is ourselves.

I have often heard from people I talked to that even if they had an experience but were told afterwards from a doctor that their experience was all just subject to brain chemistry - they would chalk up their experiences as to just what they were told. I agree with your statement entirely. I think that the level of brainwashing has gone farther than expected.

Maybe just a thought in general … Forums are great places to discuss topics, but I am not sure how many people never leave their homes just because they have become addicted to the Internet. They of course are also found in forums. If it appears that they don’t know what real life is about, then it is only (IMO) because they have encapsulated themselves into their little bubbles of customized reality. But maybe it is not necessary to go out at all. I know it is all a matter of open-mindedness, but to understand something, one should always hear both sides and therefore go out (IMO).

OMG, I always get carried away.

Greetings

[edit on 11-2-2009 by TheWriter]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

To try and measure anything outside the framework we live in, using ideas and knowledge from the framework within, is sheer ludicrous.

To me, psychic awareness can never be measured by a group of people in white coats, through science and text books. It is a personal journey where the only entity that can understand it and nurture it is the person that encouters it and that is of course is ourselves.

You can measure the effect of awareness untill some point scientifically and i believe science (in some form or another) will one day be able to understand the universe and the all encompassing awareness it contains. You are pretty much correct that it will be hard and the way science is constructed now it could be impossible.

Yes the human element within the experiment does indeed affect the results so the measurement is steered into the direction the scientist expects. But the fact that there are tests available that can expose some of the possibilities within the awareness makes the possibilities measurable. Even if we cannot measure the 'water' we are in, we can measure the effects of that 'water' on the surroundings.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by Harman]

top topics

join