It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recession 'worst for 100 years'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
If we actually go into a depression the same way we did in the 1930's (which we haven't quite yet... maybe on the way) I'm pretty sure people are going to chase Bush down.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Okay guys here is the explanation for the "Worst in one hundred years"...

First of all most if not all business's are in dire straights with credit over extended due to the constant rising costs of taxes and the straight up cost of getting products they can sell in the first place.
Secondly, Back in the 30's era most of the peoples of the world still lived on larger plots of land that made it possible for them to grow and harvest their own foods.Also making it possible for them to feed their families and help those they could with what was left. We had brotherhood and common respect back then.
Now in today's society there are major cities every where and up to 80% of some countries populations live in them. They don't have the ability or even the "know how" to grow their own food and are so set on the "me" mentality that they could care less if John Doe next door starves to death. As long as they have that nice car and look better than everyone else all is fine and dandy! We have become a society of very selfish people who have lost sight of what national brotherhood means!
This IS going to be worse than the depression of the 30's era for these same reasons. Not many people at all even know their neighbors NAMES let alone if they are employed or have no way to feed their families a this time in the whole scheme of things and frankly MOST DON'T CARE...

This and this alone is going to be our ultimate down fall there is only so many buildings the crazy people can burn down and so many people they can rob before they run into the wrong person and get knocked off in the same manner. Once this has passed and is done and over with is when the real work of rebuilding our world has to start!
It isn't going to be building ROADS or making sure tom dick and harry have an optical cable for their computer. It's going to be relying on one another to keep our worldwide food supply going in any way we can to save not just our selves but the children of the world.
The next time you want to complain about roads, internet, and laws stop yourself and ask what these have to do with making sure that everyone is FED and CLOTHED and has a WARM place to sleep at night? We have all seen where the worthless laws recently passed have gotten us right? Further in the hole and closer to total anarchy!
Stop focusing on what the MSM is forcing on you and start focusing on what you are going to do to help rebuild our world once this is all over and done with! Many of us have incredible minds and all we have to do to access them is stop with the fear and me psychology complex and start with the what am "I" going to do to help! What can "I" offer my fellow man to help get us out of this mess.Stop being a keyboard warrior and get moving because frankly it is going to be upon us sooner than you think. There is BILLIONS more people on the earth than there was in the 30"s era so it ISN'T going to take as long as it did back then...never forget that.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Technology is somewhat more advanced than the 1930s, we will NOT be living worse than the 1930s, whether in terms of diet (which was very basic in the 1930s, yes ours is not great now but this is a problem of bounty), age expectancy, medical care, whatever

The harshness of life in the 1930s would give people an eye opener..........

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
"Walk on Washington"...Time for Voices to make a Difference Again!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I remember the thatcher years very well as I am in my 50's.Life in the 80's was tough at times but maggie did'nt bankrupt the country.She was the sort of formidable leader the uk could certainly do with NOW.Gordon clown will go down in the history books as the worst chancellor and unelected pm this country has ever been saddled with.The 1980's was NOT a depression---------this is. Also with Maggie we had the falklands war ,with this it will be a world war.No comparison.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Sorry you misunderstood me on saying Ed balls was afraid of the resurgance of the far right.I agree with you entirely that there is no comparison between the nazi party and the BNP.But there is a growing resurgance of far right parties throughout europe and that does mirror the events surrounding the last great depression as does many other things.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Seems there is a lot of fear-mongering concerning this temporary downward motion of the economy. Almost as if the hype about a recession caused one.
Personally, I think times are great. Stocks are cheap, metals are up, products, electronics, and other goods- especially luxury items- are selling at fractions of what I paid for them several years ago. Now the Dc metro area is fairly insulated form dips in the economy, but I just don't know anyone who has been negatively affected.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

Lucky you....
I'm alright Jack eh?

I know lot's of people who have lost their jobs and a hell of a lot more who are in danger of doing so.
I know people who are having their home's re-possessed and some who have spent their life's saving's to try and keep their businesses going but, wtf, as long as you are making money!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The current global recession is "the most serious for over 100 years", cabinet minister Ed Balls has said.

Unfortunately Mr Ed ummm Balls.

Has no clue.
The great depression was as bad as it can get, without the end of the world.
All I have to say to this is, Balls!

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by uk today

I remember the thatcher years very well as I am in my 50's.Life in the 80's was tough at times but maggie did'nt bankrupt the country.She was the sort of formidable leader the uk could certainly do with NOW.Gordon clown will go down in the history books as the worst chancellor and unelected pm this country has ever been saddled with.The 1980's was NOT a depression---------this is. Also with Maggie we had the falklands war ,with this it will be a world war.No comparison.

No Thatcher didn't bankrupt the country.
But she did sell off the family silver, initially to those who owned it already and allowed all of out utility companies to fall into the hands of foreign companies who are now sucking the profits out of this country without re-investing into it!

Thatcher also helped fire spiralling housing costs by encouraging / enforcing the sale of Council Housing on such a wide scale without ensuring new council housing was being built.
Oh how we are paying the price for that as well now.

Thatcher was an evil, vindictive bitch who decimated whole communities and industries just tp prove her point.
Her spitefulness knew no bounds.
Yes she was a very strong leader but despite agreeing with her stance on The Falklands, I also recognise that she manipulated the situation to ensure her own re-election.

I also agree that Gordon Brown is an absolute disgrace and should be hung at Traitor's Gate!
He has no inspirational qualities and has an amazing ability to procrastinate when decisive action and leadership is required.
I fear Cameron is little better.

Party politics has failed us miserably, we need a shake up of the whole Party, electoral, parliamentary, government and banking processes.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I'm really scared Freeborn about what's ahead .I did'nt realise how bad things were for you in the north east in the 80's---after watching newsnight last night it made me want to weep when I heard one teabag and one ciggie was being sold.Absolutely heartbreaking.That's why i'm terrified of what's ahead because if that can happen in a recession what the hell is ahead of us in a depression?Like you I experienced poverty in the past but I fear we are all ill prepared for the horrors to come.I am glad you agree with me about traitor Brown because he has betrayed the working classes in our once great country.Good luck to everyone on ATS -let's hope we can all survive what's ahead.It is a bit of a mystery though why Balls would allow this "worst depression for a 100 years "thing to be released to the masses?

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

What do you think is going to happen when the current stocks run out?I tell you what------prices are going to skyrocket.Your current cheap goods will be NO MORE.Imports will cost the earth due to the plummeting pound.Enjoy it while you can because you've got a lot to learn Im afraid.I think people with your mindset will find the depression VERY hard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join