It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vic. bushfires 'are God punishing the state for legalized abortion'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
'I knew it was coming. The second the state decided to murder those children they invoked the wrath of God. [Several bible verses quoted here].

That's what it is. God punishing the state for legalized abortion'.

I was told this today on the phone by my Aunt. I had rang her to see how her son, my closest cousin, was doing in his search for work.

She, and her family, are fanatical Seventh Day Adventists and seem to find a way to relate any tragedy back to God smiting heathens.

My response was:

'Well, in that case then, go and stand in the fire. Please, c'mon. [Several vulgar names used here]. See if the fire spares you for being in God's favour... Put your life where your mouth is'.

I then abruptly slammed the phone down.

I very much doubt I'll be speaking to that aunt again any time soon.

Please people, help me understand this mindset.

How, in any what, shape or form, can killing entire rural townships be a god's way of punishing a government decision?

How, when the god is meant to be loving and understanding, can they say he would be willing to kill nearly 200 people to get a message across?

What's the deal? It sounds very old testament to me. Reminds me of something those nutters at the Westborough Baptist Church would rant to a TV camera.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
You have to feel for people like that. They've been conditioned to think like that. Be happy that you know better.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
What's the deal? It sounds very old testament to me. Reminds me of something those nutters at the Westborough Baptist Church would rant to a TV camera.

its people who dont understand the bible enough to understand why and how god does things.

they see a tragedy and they say it was god, more than likely because they heard it from some priest who is pushing his own agenda.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

Mmm.

I'm a tolerant person. I don't care what beliefs you follow, as long as it doesn't interfere with my life in any way.

My tolerance hit a wall when this inconsiderate woman decided to spout her malformed opinion at me though.

I was brought up in a strict Catholic system (I'm atheistic now, however) and at least under Catholicism we were taught that the Old Testament was a collection of mostly fictional stories with a message, not to be taken literally. We focused on the New Testament and the loving God etc etc.

I don't know much about Seventh Day Adventists, because I choose not to get involved, but when we went to this woman's daughter's wedding last year, it was certainly an eye opening experience.

The entire ceremony was basically a rehashing of 'As a couple you don't love each other, God loves through you' bla bla bla and 'If you lose God in your lives, your marriage will implode without him and you will both be destined for painful fates' etc etc.

Christianity has some good messages... It is obvious though that these people choose not to find them.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

This video just about sums that mindset up:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
:shk:

Hard to beleive but that type of mentality is pervasve these days.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Oh, you gave me a hell of a laugh with that one.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

I can't understand it either. Your reaction to your Aunt is what I would have done. There are extremists in EVERY religion. Bunch of F**ken nutters. They are everywhere. Mothernature and psycopath arsonists caused the fires NOT the wrath of God. Dickheads say otherwise. Maybe they'd be better off living in a country whose morals and ethics are based on fears. Australia ,I think, is in the majority a level headed ,full frontal,no bull# until you can prove it, country. Unfortunately there are the loud nutters. The internet only expands our knowledge of them.

join