It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plant that lives forever?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
This seems like the appropriate place for this post.
Do you know? If a plant can live forever, or possibly thousands of years. What kind of plant would it be? If there is one, where is it, and could there be more, if not why? If you set it on fire would it be consumed, and so never again be? What would be its significance if any?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Pando Tree

Pando (or The Trembling Giant)[1] is a clonal colony of a single male Quaking Aspen (Populus tremuloides) tree located in the U.S. state of Utah, all determined to be part of a single living organism by identical genetic markers[2] and one massive underground root system. The plant is estimated to weigh collectively 6,000 tonnes (6,615 tons),[3] making it the heaviest known organism.[4] The root system of Pando is claimed by some to be among the oldest known living organisms in existence at 80,000 years of age,[5] though the method used to produce this estimate (an estimate on when climatic conditions were last suitable for seedling germination) is not supported by current evidence of germination.[6]

Basically, it looks like a forest of trees, but it is actually only 1 tree/organism.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

Not only the oldest, but the largest as well.
2400 years old ,at least!

Humongous Fungus

Until August of 2000 it was thought that the largest living organism was a fungus of the same species (Armillaria ostoyae) that covered 1,500 acres (600 hectares) found living in the state of Washington. But then mycology experts surmised that if an Armillaria that large could be found in Washington, then perhaps one just as large could be responsible for the trees dying in the Malheur National Forest in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon. Researchers were astonished at the sheer magnitude of the find. This most recent find was estimated to cover over 2,200 acres (890 hectares) and be at least 2,400 years old, possibly older.

source

This was a revived bacteria. :

October, 1999; 250-million-year-old bacteria were found in ancient sea salt beneath Carlsbad, New Mexico. The microscopic organisms were revived in a laboratory after being in 'suspended animation', encased in a hard-shelled spore, for an estimated 250 million years. The species has not been identified, but is referred to as strain 2-9-3, or B. permians.

or this 43,000 year old Holly:

1997; King's Holly (Lomatia tasmanica) - found in the rainforests of Tasmania. Scientists estimated the age of the plant using a nearby fossil of an identical plant. It was found to be over 43,000 years old! The plants appear to be sterile - incapable of producing flowers and viable seeds. Lomatia is triploid, that is, it has three sets of chromosomes instead of two. Because of this it is unable to sexually reproduce. The clonal thickets reproduce vegetatively by root suckering. Fossil leaves found in a late Pleistocene deposit may be genetically identical to present-day plants. The plant is a rare freak of nature whose origin and age are as yet unknown.

Edit to fix quoting

[edit on 10-2-2009 by Zeptepi]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Lichen are composite organisms consisting of a symbiotic association of a fungus (the mycobiont) with a photosynthetic partner (the photobiont or phycobiont), usually either a green alga or cyanobacterium.

due to this interesting cooperative living situation, some lichens are speculated to live indefinitely.

if you're interested, a recent discovery found immortal jelly fish.

-

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
also this brings up the difference between "biological immortality" and "physical invulnerability".. when you brought up the "if it burns" concept..

i'd have to google it a bunch but i read an article about a dr in the 60s that took a bunch of chicken muscle cells.. and made sure every day they were "cleaned" properly .. meaning all waste products were flushed from them completely daily..

and also they were given the paramount necessity of nutrition for their functionality.

these cells went on past the average age of a chicken 12 yrs.. to somewhere around 40 somethign years.. by that time he ended the project and tossed them.. stating that theres no point.. they were just as healthy if not more healthy than when he started it.. and they would just keep going forever..

so mechanically speaking.. functionality-wise.. they are immortal.. as could everything else..

if "flushed" of toxins COMPLETELY and fed only proper nutrients AND have no other organisms interfering with their activity.. ie parasites that produce toxins or steal nutrients..

but if burned.. destroyed..
then asta la vista, bok-bok.

invulnerability is a completely different story.. that has to do with .. natural defenses to avoid accidents or predators. like armadillos' shell or thistle's thorns.. porcupine's quills etc..

-

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Remember the story of Moses and the burning bush? They say this bush is still in existence today. Could this really be true? What are your opinions?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix
Remember the story of Moses and the burning bush? They say this bush is still in existence today. Could this really be true? What are your opinions?

who is "they" ?
what is the name of this plant, if you know so much about it?
inquiring minds want to go.

-

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

There is a bush at St. Catherine's Monastery in Egypt that is supposedly the same bush that was burning all those years ago (it is not burning any longer, obviously).

Of ancient trees, one of Buddha's banyans is also of significance as being the oldest tree in existence who's date of 'planting' is known (288 BC).

[edit on 21-5-2009 by babloyi]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I found out what the burning bush was..
it was a raspberry bush .
ethyl formate gives the raspberry (and rum) their flavor.
And thanks to Saurus we know that it's also used in the artificial synthesis (along with tryptamine) ..of '___' (the "spirit molecule" known for it's dimensional perception inducing qualities..a chemical that your pineal gland produces)
'___' is found in the acacia wood, the wood used to create the ark of the covenant.
possibly that is a symbolic affect, and the 'wood' is merely signifying the '___'.

One interesting thing to note about the pineal gland, is that it is symbolized as the world's largest statue of a pine-cone in the center of Vatican City, as well as atop the sculptures of Caduceus' of many fine establishment's decorations.
It's also depicted at the God Apollo's Oracle at Delphi as the Oomphalos an ancient artifat with a fibonnaci-esque "net" pattern stiched or etched around it... it's known as the "navel of the world" or the "center of the world"

The Caduceus represents the Hindu Kundalini dual snake-shaped energy circuits, namely Ida and Pingal, that rise from the sacred bone: the Sacral bone, up and around the spinal column, up all 33 degrees of vertebrae, to the place of the skull (Golgotha)... the 33 symbolic years of Christ's life.

This is where alchemy (White Tantra + orgasm-less coitus) plays a role in unlocking the Kundalini.

The pine cone is also present on the Thyrsus of Greek mythology, a staff with a pine cone on the tip, held by many Gods and Goddesses.
The pine cone is ALSO present on the handle of the Pope's cozier.
pine cones (as well as their pineal gland symbolism, are known for the PHI RATIO observable in the relative vector of the growth pattern of their seeds.

The WINGS of the Caduceus represent the ventricles of the brain, which are filled with the Kundalini (Christos) energy and throughout the cavity, form more of the calcite crystals recently found within the pineal gland... .
*speculation* - Thus enabling higher rate of '___' production / metabolism / frequency transmission ?
Man I love passing this intricate and awesome info out. It's my happy hobby. nay, my purpose.... aaaah Occult Anatomy, do me right!

hey Original Poster... I'd like to know...
...who are you and where are you from, if you don't mind.

got any more awe-inspiring riddles?
if so please make posts of them and send me a PM with a link to them!

-

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Prevenge.

Lovin your knowledge... also gutted you got it as your avatar you beat me to it

Any other knowledge you have on the caduceus, i would welcome.
I have been, bare with me, weirdly (cant find the right word) attracted to it and am wanting a tattoo of it over my back with the twisted snakes going down my spine but just want to research all meanings of this first.

I understand its the medical symbol of the US but also was a symbol for wisdom and my favourite represents higher knowledge & our DNA.

Any more info?

top topics

join