It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judges Tentatively Order California Inmates Released

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Judges Tentatively Order California Inmates Released

www.examiner.com

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Map, News) - A special panel of federal judges tentatively ruled Monday that California must release tens of thousands of inmates to relieve overcrowding.

The judges said no other solution will improve conditions so poor that inmates die regularly of suicides or lack of proper care.

The panel said it wanted the state to present a plan to trim the population in two to three years.

"There are simply too many prisoners for the existing capacity," they wrote. "Evidence offered at trial was overwhelmingly to the effect that overcrowding is the primary cause of the unconstitutional conditions that have been found to exist in the California prisons."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
This is the first case I've seen where the living conditions inside a prison are deemed to be so detrimental as to be ruled unconstitutional. Psychologists have studied the effects of overcrowding for some time and generally conclude that it is extremely harmful to humans and animals alike.

Some people would argue that prisoners can't be made to suffer enough and don't deserve any reprieve, but prisoners are human beings too. What use is it to release people who have been irreperably damaged by their environment? They're almost condemned to be reoffenders.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I believe all drugs should be legalized, so that only the users or abusers wear it like alcholics due rather than having it run by organized crime, and I believe the cabal, and CIA, and having sex slaves, and a whole gamut of ruined lives for the elitists purse. This would eliminate much of the overcrowding.

Next, unless someone is a repeat violent offender, or the crime is too heinous, there should be no jail time, just a bracelet and house arrest and counseling with the goal being healing and redemption, and an improved life, rather than punishment.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Hmm I wonder what they would do if; your economy got so bad, you could no longer afford to run your prisons. The guards don't get paid so they don't turn up for work. The food shipments stop and the inmates will either then be;

A. Left to rot and die;
B. Left to rot and some survive long enough to escape;
C. Let loose to do as they wish...;
D. The dangerous inmates are killed while the rest are freed...

Some interesting times ahead.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Solution:

All Death Row Inmates who have been convicted and lost their appeals...put them to death.

All those convicted of murder, who have lost their appeals...put them to death.

All those who have been convicted of rape, and lost their appeals...put them to death.

All those who have been convicted of child molestation/child offenses, and have lost their appeals...put them to death.

All those who are in our prisons and NOT citizens of the United States...that have been convicted of any of the above offenses...put to death! Those convicted of lesser crimes are shipped out of the US and back to whatever country they came from! Given a chance to live there...if they return, they will be put to death!

That in itself will finally lighten the load on our budgets and send a messege to other retards...think before you act. But no, we instead house them, pay for them, let them run wild in prisons, live like animals, and then give them the right to sue and complain becuase they can't watch football, can't eat 5 meals a day, or even worse, can't get the internet...how can we be so inhumane!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

... overcrowding is the primary cause ...

I think the article would have more accurate to say -

way too many laws is the primary cause ...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I have a different take on the potential release of as many as 57,000 prisoners.

I'm concerned that innocent people will be the victims of a crime spree and some will die because the wrong people get set free.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Well you might also consider there will be 57,000 thousand prisoners out there being released who have pretty much ZERO chance of getting a job. So what do they do?

What would you do? No unemployment? No money? No home?

This is disaster in the making.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
California and Florida have done this before. We simply don’t have enough room to house all the people being warehoused in Prisons. One need only look at today’s unemployment to know that many undereducated inner-city youths are destined to be imprisoned. Wal-Mart has plenty of minimum wage help and so do the fast food outlets and video stores. There are no unskilled factory jobs left or hardly skilled ones for that matter. So millions of young people who turn to narcotics as both sellers and users will end up in prison, and California laws like Three Strikes would put you behind bars for life with three non-violent cannabis possessions with intent to sale convictions.

Amazingly past mass releases in Florida and California have shown the powers that be in these circumstances would rather provide an early release to the more violent felons than the peaceful ones to ratchet up the fear and terror level in the communities, to justify more security and law enforcement, more laws and more prisons.

Over half the prison populations are people the powers that be simply do not wish to provide opportunity for so instead we are tricked into housing and feeding and clothing them at out expense.

After they purposefully release a few hundred rapists, murderers and child molesters early and a few of them make the papers for repeat crimes, the communities reluctant to allow prisons built in or near them, and the tax payers who don’t want to pay for yet another prison will likely end up doing both as usual.

What a world!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I could be wrong, but I smell a reverse cause here...

What better way to get the public to shut up about living conditions in prisons than to release them to wreak havoc?

The plan could be to release them, let them cause trouble, then put them back into the prison system with below minimum living conditions. If the public complains, the state government points to the trouble they caused the last time the public cared so much.

Basically public mentality would become "they're savages anyways, look at what happened when they were released. They don't deserve their human rights."

Govern through shock... it's not the first time this mentality has been used.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Destruction by design
Petty theifs go in petty and come out hardened.
Letting them out of jail is just a way of increasing the chances of not just crime, but extremely vilent crime.
These released cons won't want to go back so they will probably try to reduce the chances of being identified.
A lawless society then needs protecting from itself, so "hello military, please keep us safe"
People will be begging for martial law to stop the crime, they will say they can handle the curfews and check points and the searches in the beginning because it will look like crime is on the decline.
It will only appear that way until the military realize how much power they have and are above the law.

Thank God I don't live in the US

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The entire reason for this is the WAR ON DRUGS.

Instead of having room murderers, rapist and other people who are a legitimate threat to our 'precious society'. They lock up millions of drug offenders (2001, 700,000 alone for marijuana only skeptically.org...) most for mere possession, they will lock someone up for "POSSESSION" even if theyre just found to be under the influence of a drug they count internal possession.

I can eat so much food, im 800 pounds. I can smoke so many cigarettes that I must gasp for breath, I can drink so much booze I cannot walk out my door. I can do any number of RETARDED things, that endanger my life and well being, as well as some people around me. BUT THE GOVERNMENT WONT DO A THING ABOUT IT!!! Unlesssss its an illegal drug that im harming myself with, then they can lock me up and ruin my life further.

4 catagories:
1. Drug user, requiring treatment
2. Recreational user (100's of million of these in America's)
3. Drug pusher(any level)
4. Manufacturers (Growers, cutters, cookers, etc)

Drug users that require treatment, NEVER GET IT and have all their problems exasperated using prohibition. Recreational users who as a group COULD NEVER BE ARRESTED, even arresting 10% of everyone who has used any drug in the last year, would totally change the US not to mention theres not enough cells. These people get randomly caught in the crosshairs of law enforcement, and have their lives ruined. Possibly losing their kids, and future career opportunities.

Thus, first 2 groups suffer under prohibition.

Then we got the drug pushers and manufacturers. THE ONLY reason these guys exist IS BECAUSE OF PROHIBITION!! Prohibition = Profit!

Thats the only reason they organize into gangs, the only reason they murder, and rob each other, the only reason our streets and our children will never be safe is because of PROHIBITION! Then, ontop of all that, we get a police state to watch ALL of us.

Eliminate prohibition, and all of these problems that have arisen BECAUSE OF IT, disappear.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Duplicate thread. This has already been posted in Breaking News.

Check here for the other thread.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Please post in the Ongoing Discussion

Mass release Californian prisoners

Closing Thread

Thank you

Semper

new topics

top topics

join