It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many businesses in your town have folded?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I live in a small town of about 9,000. In the past few months, we've had several businesses that have went belly up.

1. Lifestyles gym
2. Marathon gas station
3. two local cafes
4. a private owned donut shop

And, our feed store is hanging on by a thread. It's so bad they can't even stock the store anymore and are just selling what little they have left. A business that has been open for over 35 yrs, I give two months tops.

In the next town over, a 7-11 went out of business about a year ago. I don't think I've ever seen a 7-11 go out of business!

Several restaurants in the bigger town nearby have closed down, dollar stores, a circuit city, and many more.

How about your town?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
We've had a few furniture stores go, a carpet store, a hot tub/pool store was rebuilding but now I don't know. My favorite Indian restaurant isn't doing too well. Coldstone closed. There are more, it's hard to remember. I know that one private doctor's office is combining with a practice.

Oops, I forgot a jewelry store, Circuit City, and Linens n Things.

[edit on 2/9/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Let's see:

1. KFC
2. a mom and pop Italian restaurant
3. a jewelry store
4. a pharmacy
5. Big Lots
6. a few small downtown businesses that I didn't even really know what they were...but business model may have had more to do with their failure than anything else.

The University has put a hiring freeze in place and the hospital isn't replacing a few non-medical positions that have opened recently.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I'm afraid a lot of small towns are going to suffer. Like if the feed store closes, we will have to drive some distance to another one.

I hear Rite Aid is having troubles. They just built a huge one a few miles from here.

I bet the next thing to go is all the video stores.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Our town has lost DOZEN of businesses to the down turn. We have alot of restaurants due to our location in relation to the wine country in Northern California. About half of them are now just gone. There and open on Monday and gone totally packed up and closed Tuesday. Its getting really insane around here. There hasn't been any one industry thats been affected more than another around here, it is flat out everyone. They are just closing over night and leaving.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
In my town of about 65,000 in So.Calif, we've had...

1. 3 of 8 Starbucks closed.
2. Tony Roma's closed.
3. Lazy Boy furniture closed.
4. 1 of 4 Walgreen's in town closed.
5. 1 sushi place closed, but my favorite one is still open and doing well.
6. Mom's Kitchen, a mom and pop restaurant closed. It served breakfast and lunch, no dinner. They made some fantastic homemade pies.
7. 1 of 3 Coldstone's in town closed.
8. IHOP closed.
9. Some miscellaneous Mexican place closed.
10. A Chrysler dealer closed. The employees came to work on a Monday and found it closed and locked up, with a number on the door for the employee's to call with any questions.
11. Two Buick dealers closed, one at each end of town.

That's just off the top of my head, i'm sure there's more.

On the plus side...
1. Sonic restaurant opened.
2. LA Fitness opened.
3. Yet another Mexican place opened. That's almost a weekly thing now, it seems, along with one or more closing.
4. Coco's Restaurant and Bakery now serves beer and wine to compete with Chili's and Applebee's in town. It seems to be working.
5. A new pizza place opened. They hired my daughter.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Like the antiquated motto of a certain American state, "Don't Tread On Me", the United States is subject to the ways of the larger serpent of desire, namely capitalism. And because of this, the occasional sloughing of skin is necessary so that our way of life may continue to grow. Let us all hope that our ability to escape the dead cells is not as antiquated as the motto.

top topics

join