It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's address

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I just finished watching the president's address and to my untrained eye I must say , I really think that he is trying to be honest with his remarks , or as honest as he can be . In fact I was left with the impression that on more then one occasion he seemed to have to stop himself from possibly giving a bit to much info with his desire to be open and honest . This address seemed a lot different then others that I have seen , perhaps its because he can play the , I inherited this mess card ?

I am expecting a lot of verbal slips from this president in the future .

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Max_TO]

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I agree...I think he may be a little naive when it comes to keeping the public out of the loop...That should prove difficult for those wanting to cover everything up...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Maybe we finally have a president who trusts the judgment of the people. I know that this a novel opinion and some would argue possibly rather dangerous, however I find it quite refreshing.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FBI 33

Interesting point you bring up about the keeping people out of the loop part . I say thats interesting because I also get the feeling that he may be a bit naive but naive in the sense that he may be to trusting of his advisors feeding him info . In fact I can also see a time in the future where this miss placed trust may even lead to a confrontation and changing of some of his " trusted people "

I realize this is all my opinion and isn't worth two nickels but it is the impression that I am getting .

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
One other thing possible note worthy , was this the first time that a high ranking elected official blamed the banks for the financial crisis and not the American people taking out mortgages ?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Obamas address?

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

On a serious note He is leveraging his high approval numbers as best he can to get the GOP to play ball.

[edit on 2/9/09 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Ok that was a good one

You get a star

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I thought it was pretty good. His first 2 questions each took 7 minutes to answer. He went into detail and even though I tried to catch him avoiding questions like past presidents have, he did a really good job of actually answering most of them.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
it would have been nice to have seen, and heard, him actually answer the questions that reporters asked him.....he rarely ever did........not to say he did not provide an answer....he surely did.....yet he rarely directly responded to the questions that he was asked......he showed little respect for poor Helen Thomas.......

seems we've seen this before.....and before......and before....

and oh, btw......i voted for him

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Perception is so strange. Two people can come away seeing two totally different things. Amazing.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by prjct

I think he avoided Helen because he could smell a Israel having nukes question coming as her rebuttal .

But other then that I would humbly disagree and refer to my OP .

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I agree, but I didn't see many things positive. Pretty much a my way or give intricate details why it will fail. But at least he has a grasp on the fact that there is a problem...something that wasn't fully recognized and admitted under Bush.

And before anyone asks, I was drinking Mt. Dew.

Over all, I still say that We are screwed.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluegrassRevolutionary
reply to post by Max_TO

Maybe we finally have a president who trusts the judgment of the people. I know that this a novel opinion and some would argue possibly rather dangerous, however I find it quite refreshing.

Considering every poll I have seen shows the majority of Americans are against the 'stimulus bill', and he is the bill's biggest cheerleader, just how much does he trust the 'judgement of the people'?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by prjct
it would have been nice to have seen, and heard, him actually answer the questions that reporters asked him.....he rarely ever did........not to say he did not provide an answer....he surely did.....yet he rarely directly responded to the questions that he was asked......he showed little respect for poor Helen Thomas.......

seems we've seen this before.....and before......and before....

and oh, btw......i voted for him

Here is a transcript of the press conference at the HuffingtonPost..the only place I could find it this early.. Now to be fair, I think he answered the questions, to the best of his ability. Many of the policies are being reviewed. He has only been in office for 3 weeks tomorrow. So lets be a little objective here. He answered the questions.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

actually, the people in support of the bill are in a small majority, I think it was 52% to 48%. 52% in favor.
The president has an approval rating of 76%. I think this was his pitch to the people.

I'm a politics junkie..sorry...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I found the most poignant part of this press conference was the thoughtfulness behind the answers and what seemed to be a thorough understanding of what is going on.

Did he dodge a few questions? Yup - but they were few and far between.

For some perspective folks, lets remember that Bush's first press conference was on Oct. 11th. Clinton's was on June of the NEXT YEAR.

Remember how Bush's first conference went?

Press: So what are we going to do?

Bush: Go kill some terrorists.

Press: Yay!

Rinse. Repeat.

What I didn't see tonight was a series of snickers and jokes.

I give it a B+.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Actually I'm having sort of a hard time finding a poll from Feb. 7-8 with less than 51% approval of the current stimulus plan.

Heres all I can say: Bush was freaking out before he left; Obama is trying so hard to convince us how bad we need one...do you not think they know something we don't?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Overall this speech left me in a haze and a coma. I was bored to tears. Same old rhetoric. Blah. And what does the above poster mean, poor Helen T.? He answered her questions fully.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 9-2-2009 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

do you not think they know something we don't?

That we're screwed? Many of us have begun to figure that out already. I really don't think any kind of stimulus plan is going to avoid what is coming. I honestly can't believe what is happening now is happening in my lifetime.
View this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by its bologna

actually, the people in support of the bill are in a small majority, I think it was 52% to 48%. 52% in favor.
The president has an approval rating of 76%. I think this was his pitch to the people.

I'm a politics junkie..sorry...

Really? Rasmussen has support for the bill at 37%.
Poll

top topics

<<   2 >>

join