It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Maintains Bush Position on 'Extraordinary Rendition' Lawsuit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Obama Administration Maintains Bush Position on 'Extraordinary Rendition' Lawsuit

blogs.abcnews.com

From Jake Tapper and Ariane de Vogue:

The Obama Administration today announced that it would keep the same position as the Bush Administration in the lawsuit Mohamed et al v Jeppesen Dataplan, Inc.

The case involves five men who claim to have been victims of extraordinary rendition -- including current Guantanamo detainee Binyam Mohamed, another plaintiff in jail in Egypt, one in jail in Morocco, and two now free. They sued a San Jose Boeing subsidiary, Jeppesen Dataplan, accusing the flight-planning company of aiding the CIA in flying them to other countries and secret CIA camps where they were tortured.

A year ago the case was thrown out on the basis of national security, but today the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals heard the appeal, brought by the ACLU.

A source inside of the Ninth U.S. District Court tells ABC News that a representative of the Justice Department stood up to say that its position hasn't changed, that new administration stands behind arguments that previous administration made, with no ambiguity at all. The DOJ lawyer said the entire subject matter remains a state secret.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
ummmmm, if it smells like a dog , looks like a dog it probably is a dog.. this is a big indicter that there will be anything but "change" in the new admin... its different puppets and the same puppeteers on the play.. puling the same old strings.. The only reason to keep invoking the national state secret is to protect his cousin dick cheney... we can't let family get in trouble now can we?

blogs.abcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm somewhat upset at Obama for this.

While I admit that he has done a lot of good in regards to other kinds of policies and has changed the whitehouse a bit, this, in particular- has really maddened me.

His stance on torture-- keeping rendition-- to me is just as bad as still doing torture.

I am still giving him a shot.

I just dislike it if he continued the same policies of the Bush administration. That's not Change Obama!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In a related note, there's a topic popping up with title that says "victims of extraordinary rendition cannot sue" or something. I've seen it 3 times and every time I click it I get 404. What's up with that?

top topics

join