It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To reconcile Old and New testement Gods are the same, you have to accept that humankind can spiritua

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I touched on this in another thread. Here is the answer to the apparent difference to the NT&OT Gods that biblical adherants commonly put forth:

How can we then reconcile God's apparent anger and harshness in the Old Testament and Jesus' Gentleness in the New Testament?

I think an answer might be in the types of people that He was dealing with at the time. During ancient times in the Old Testament, about the only thing that got people's attention was raw power. The most powerful warrior would conquer territories and become King. When a more powerful person came along, that King was killed and the new person became King. Authority was almost synonymous with power.

Given such a prevailing attitude, it makes sense that God didn't actually change. He simply presented a different view of Himself. He presented a spectacular Creation in Genesis, and He regularly "smote" whole armies in an instant to permit victory for His favored Tribes.

Consider a human father who finds the need to reprimand a young child. He might easily attempt to seem extremely harsh and powerful, in order to get necessary lessons across.

By the time that Jesus Walked on Earth, men's attitudes had advanced (a little). Jesus consistently demonstrated and taught Love and Generosity and Gentleness. We then had first-hand experience of the wonderful Lovingkindness of God. That Lovingkindness had always been there, even in the apparently harsh Old Testament God. But, during Old Testament times, such Gentleness would have been perceived as weakness, and God knew that. Therefore, even though He Loved His followers very much, it was not appropriate for Him to show it.

mb-soft.com... emphasis mine.

Here this rationalization puts forth the argument that humankind improved, i.e, spiritually evolved, in the time between the old Israelite kingdom and Jesus's life. We can assume that since Jesus came to share his message with everyone, then all of humankind shared this improvement.

However this seems to be a convenient rationalization for the Bible that actually contradicts a strict interpretation of Christianity if examined.

The Original Sin doctrine holds that manking cannotimprove because of his sins--he is helpless to do anything but beg for God's forgiveness.

Beyond that, I must speculate, how far would this improvement go if if was allowed to continue? It seems that by sending Jesus to 'save' mankind at this point it has only inspired countless religious wars that have set men back to the OT levels of barbarism.

If that even disappeared in the first place, of course. The entire argument rests on the assumption that manking has lost some of its inherant wickedness. I beg to differ. Raw power still seems to get people's attention, and he with the biggest guns still wins the most land.

Thoughts appreciated.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Given such a prevailing attitude, it makes sense that God didn't actually change. He simply presented a different view of Himself. He presented a spectacular Creation in Genesis, and He regularly "smote" whole armies in an instant to permit victory for His favored Tribes.

It never fails to amaze me how far people will go to somehow excuse the actions of a tyrant.

I beat the crap out of my children from birth to the age of 16, then following 16 years of this abuse showing them the right path to take. I presented them with with a different view of myself, I became understanding forgiving and loving.
But by then it was a bit late, my children were old enough to phone the police or put a gun to my head.

It is pretty obvious that the jesusgod and the yawehgod are two entirely different incomparable mythological personalities. Bearing the jesusgod never once claimed he was Yahweh and had changed his own name.

What scares the hell out of me is that people actually teach this nonsense to children !!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
God in the OT and God in the NT (Father of Jesus Christ) is the same God. God does not change. Jesus is the Son of God and God is Jesus' Father. Jesus was born of his mother, Mary. But, unlike any other born-human with both parents as human, Jesus' Father is Almighty God Himself. Although as a man, Jesus has the mind of God and God's Spirit is with him. Jeus called himself both the Son of Man and the Son of God.

God is not Trinity as so-called Christianity portraits Him to be. There is only One Eternal God and God is ONE and no one else beside Him. The Holy Spirit is God's Spirit, not another person in the God's head. Jesus only exsisted at conception and he was the first born in the God's spiritual family after his resurrection and he will bring many of his brethens into the God Family at his return as King of kings. Jesus was the first of the first fruits of God.

To learn more about the mystery of God and His Son and His Family and God's plan and purpose for mankind, goto:

www.the-end.com/2008GodsFinalWitness/

What Jesus said or did all came from the Father. Jesus revealed a lot more about the Father and His plan than all the prophets of God before him. And at this end time Jesus will reveal much more to God's Church through His end time prophets.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

To learn more about the mystery of God and His Son and His Family and God's plan and purpose for mankind, goto:

So thousands of years after god left an instruction manual for his children, he eventually realized that they couldn't understand it. So god then created a website which would explain the mystery, and got you to tell people that the website is where the mystery will be explained.

ok

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

So thousands of years after god left an instruction manual for his children, he eventually realized that they couldn't understand it. So god then created a website which would explain the mystery, and got you to tell people that the website is where the mystery will be explained.

ok

Pure baiting...no substance at all....anyways i've often thought that the soul of man is being led toward a goal, and each particular religion in history is a lenth of road that forks a whole slew of times. It goes in circles and back and forth, yet generally it is making it's way towards the goal.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
the son only does that which he sees the father do.

The bible was written by man. inspired by knowledge..

new topics

top topics

join