It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the U.S. Army engaged in psy warfare on internet discussions boards?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A few weeks ago I saw a request from a U.S. Army Major who is stationed in Afghanistan for people to send winter coats and blankets to the Afghan people. This request was on a civilian internet discussion board. U.S. military personnel posting on internet discussion boards to promote military operations? Trying to solicit Americans to volunteer to the war effort.

Salam Alaykum, Democraticunderground!

While a great number of DUers have offered me care packages, it is not I that needs the care. I would ask that you send items like winter coats, boots, sweaters, hats, gloves, and socks for the Afghan people. I will distribute the generous gifts you offer and will post updates and pictures on this website (taking care to preserve operational security, of course).

In any case, I could sure use a DUer to coordinate this effort. While I love being a DUer, I'm a little cautious to post my address in the clear...too many people out there hate liberals, and waaaaay to many people despise liberals in uniform.

Then I saw this article:

Army trades blankets for biometrics

Soldiers of the 1-61 Cavalry Squadron here gave out blankets and coats to Afghan men Friday, but only to those who first had their fingerprints scanned, their photographs taken, and their names, ages and other details entered into a database.

Here is a picture of the U.S. Army Major in question.

I'm interested in knowing the unit insignia on the patch on this guys left shoulder. Can anybody crop that pick and zoom in on it? I'm almost certain that the patch is of the U.S. Army Pyschological Warfare and Civil Affairs Command.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The PSYOP and CA unit patch has an airborne tab over it. Rounded top to match the tab, curved sides, point at the bottom, sword and lightining bolts in the middle.

While I can't see it clearly, that looks like the 1st ID to me. The Big Red One patch is pointed at the bottom, flat top, straight sides, big "1" in the middle.

PSYOP SGM

join