It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a mac, a pc, and necessary conection to the net

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
i got a little problem:

i got a apple macintosh Power Mac G4
double core,
533 MHz

OS X.4.11

no airport, integrated ethernet
configuration PPP

internet conection via
siemens adsl modem 1 lan port

now my son got a pc, windows vista

i would like to establish a network, so that me and the son can have internet conection.

i bought a DLink W-lan router,
Model Dir 300

4 lan ports

my plan was: conect the modem with the w-lan and than via lan port of the w-lan my mac with the web.
doesn.t work at all

i talked to my ISP who told me that it is not supposed to configure a network with that equipemnt but underhand adviced to buy a new double port modem to get my mac conected directly with the net - as it is now - and the wlan router with the 2nd port .

but i am lost

thanks to my friends at the FCP i got some advices about hubs, switches and networks etc. but i am still a bit lost.

anybody ideas?

hopefully it doesn.t sound to confused.

the mac was configured by my ex hubby, who refuses to talk to me since december, so that is the major problem in this case.

i just want to be on the web and get the son on the web too.

ah and i live outside the USA

thanks for any hint

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the problem would be as they should both be basically plug-n-play.

Connect the modem to the router and run LAN (Cat-5 or 6) cables to the two computers (Mac and PC).

Shouldn't be any issues. i get Macs in from time to time to work on, and all I ever do is simply run a LAN cable from the router to it's NIC. works fine.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

Orange, do you currently have your DSL modem connected directly to your Mac? And it's working?

I'm thinking you may need to change your Mac's configuration to use TCP/IP and DHCP, rather than PPPoE, but I'm not familiar with how configuring Mac networking is done.

Perhaps someone who is familiar with Macs and those terms I just used could help?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ian's right and I must have missed that part. you'll need to set the MAC's connection to LAN as opposed to PPPoE.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
update:
haven.t yet configured anything with the network

i am not really sure if the provider might be the problem
i have an PPPoE access to the internet
and i don.t dare to change it
maybe the other stuff won.t work and then ……… i am without connection

probably somebody has to be here in my town to help me

i,ll keep researching

thanks for your input guys

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The ISP probably just gives one IP address for that modem, so only one computer can get access to the Internet.

The computers must be configured to use the router's IP address and the router should be the one who gets the public IP address from the ISP.

At least I think that is how it should be done, by I can be completely wrong, as I do not use ADSL and I share my Internet connection through a Windows 2003 computer, without any hardware router.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Hey Orange,

Here are some instructions for ya.

You will need the address for the modem, this will be something like 192.168.1.1. You need this so you know what to change the router's address to.

What you need to do is connect the router to your sons PC. Dont connect it to the modem just yet.

Then you need to go to internet explorer and type in the address of the router which will most likely be 192.168.1.1 (it may be a little different but this will be in the documentation that came with the router. This is also the reason its probably not working right at the moment - its conflicting with the modem's address)

Once you type this in it will ask for a user name and password.. this will also be in the documentation for the router.

After this you need to change the address of the router. Im not sure of the menu system for the D-links but it should be under the managment tab. You need to change it so that the last number in the address isn't "1" e.g. 192.168.1.5 instead of 192.168.1.1

Once you have changed this attach the modem to the router and the computers to the router.
Vista should get the settings all right. But on your mac you will need to go to the preferences -> network settings (or something similar) and put in the settings manualy.

If you need help with any of this you know where to contact me.

-funky

edit: Ian was right, you need to re confgure the mac to use TCP/IP and DHCP

[edit on 20/3/2009 by funky monk]

[edit on 20/3/2009 by funky monk]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The router has to accept dhcp address from the modem.

The computers have to be set also for dhcp addressing which they receive from the router.

As far as the cable company is concerned, it is only seeing one computer (the router)

I'm at work now and my Macs are at home, but you should be able to save your existing configuration. Name it 'original'. You then need to put in the router's address, probably 192.168.1.1 , and set for dhcp

Another thing, if your provider only allows 1 computer, you need to call them to let them know that you're installing a router. So they can allow its mac (not macintosh) address

A word of advice, if you call the router customer service, DO NOT mention that you have a Macintosh. Just say that you have 2 identical pc's and write down the info they give you. Once you open the network control panel, it'll be obvious where things go.

I have 5 Macs all on dhcp going through a router to the cable modem.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

thanks
but i am not sure how to do it
and i fear to change something just in case that nothing works and i cant attend the web after that

reply to post by funky monk

funky honey
are we talking about IP addies or what?

can.t you just come over and handle it

i find myself really confused meanwhile

but if i connect the router with my son.s pc how will it work then? i just thought i needed to connect my mac with the router and the web first - because i will be able to attend the web then

btw, me is using safari 3.2.1 (4.0 makes the application to slow for me - Mac OS X.4.11)

if girls are reading this:
when ever the man in your life is doing something on computer networks let him explain every step to you!
my ex did it since 1991 for me and now i ended up in 2009 understanding not a single bit!

@wookiee thanks for your input as well

i am getting more lost every day

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

I was explaining how to get the internet working on your mac and your sons pc.
Its not working because its not as simple as plugging a router into a modem....... you need to change the settings or the modem and the router will conflict and nothing will happen... I was explaining how to fix that lol.
Im sorry, I should have explained a little more.

But thats ok... maybe I should just come over and fix it lol.

[edit on 21/3/2009 by funky monk]

edit: oh... and yea I was talking about IP addies
You could connect you mac first, I just figured it would be easier doing it with the PC since that will automaticaly get all the needed setting... Im not too sure if 10.4.11 does that :s.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
hope i can manage it one day
really

but the stuff will run on dynamic ip addy wouldn.t it?

when are you coming over

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Yea, it will work with a dynamic ip. The main bit is getting all the computers, routers and modems talking to each other correctly lol.

ROFL, if I could come over and set it up for you orange I so would lol.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
i know

thanks again for all the input!

i have just been told i need a WLAN dongle for the son.s computer

isn.t it easier with cable conection?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
OK,

For the Mac, go to the Network Control Panel.

Tell us what is written there.

Here's mine.

Network

Before you begin making any changes ...

In Network Control Panel. Next to Location:, Note what is says, Mine says Automatic, select Edit Locations, Click on the +, Name it New, Hit Done, For now, just Reselect what was originally there.
Then let us know how you did.

[edit on 3/21/2009 by wookiee]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

You can use a Wlan dongle if ya like. It will make it so you dont need the network cable, but it will add a few more steps to the set up process lol, but Im sure you'd be able to manage that.

top topics

join