It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator seeks Bush-era "truth commission"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Senator seeks Bush-era "truth commission"

www.reuters.com

By Randall Mikkelsen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. "truth commission" should probe Bush administration policies including the promotion of war in Iraq, detainee treatment and wiretapping without a warrant, an influential senator proposed on Monday.

Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, called for the commission as way to heal what he called sharp political divides and to prevent future abuses.

He compared it to other truth commissions, such as one in South Africa that investigated the apartheid era.

"We need to come to a shared understanding of the failures of the recent past," Leahy said in a speech to the Georgetown University law school.

"Rather than vengeance, we need a fair-minded pursuit of what actually happened," he said. "And we do that to make sure it never happens again," Leahy said.

Some Republicans and intelligence officials have resisted any suggestion of broad inquiries into accusations against the Bush administration, saying it would be a distraction or weaken morale in the fight against terrorism.

Leahy said he had not yet begun to promote the idea with the administration of President Barack Obama or with the Democratically controlled Congress. But he suggested it could be formed by both Congress and the White House, and said the panel must have credibility across the political spectrum.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This may be nothing more than symbolic. But there has been, on both sides, alot of political vitriol in terms of how President Bush handled his office and the Nation.

Personally, I believe, after everything he said about Iraq, that we went to war on a lie. According to the law Federal and international, torture is illegal and considered a war crime by all Geneva Convention signatories. His warrant-less wiretapping policies are a clear violation of Constitutional rights considering what former NSA/CSS/FBI/CIA employees have said regarding their particular targets(Journalists/Political groups), their inaction on the important 9/11 related individuals(See PBS for the show Spy Factory), Bush's reaction to several intelligence reports dropped on his desk(Or lack thereof) and so forth.

But at the same time there are things that the other side accuses Bush of, or blames him for, that are not or may not be his fault, or even illegal. This, I hope, succeeds. Because I think we all deserve as much of the truth as can be brought to life. Regardless on where you stand on the issues, politics is no substitute for facts.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
No bites or opinions huh? Well, this will sweeten the deal:

Spyfactory

This link will send you to the NOVA website at PBS.org I recommend watching it before we discuss the specifics in my statements.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well well well, a senator wanting to investigate the Bush era eh? Hmmm...that's interesting. Albeit kinda far-fetched that they would actually "investigate" much of anything, it would be a step in the right direction.

I think it's absurd the reasons given were that it would shatter confidence on the war on terror to prosecute people who have been accused of war crimes and falsely convincing a people to go to war.

I think it would strenghten the resolve of the people actually fighting for our freedom and protection, atleast they would know that they are required to do things by law and would be reprimanded if they did anything otherwise.

Interesting, we'll have to keep an eye on this.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Sounds to me like another Dog and Pony show. Either the 'Eunuchs' in the hill have figured out that we don't believe a word or it's just another witch hunt which won't go anywhere. These commissions are more a waste of our money than anything else and this...

Some Republicans and intelligence officials have resisted any suggestion of broad inquiries into accusations against the Bush administration, saying it would be a distraction or weaken morale in the fight against terrorism.

Makes me sick...any type of wrongdoing should be looked into, no exceptions.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I agree. The same republicans(And dems don't get the wrong idea) are complicit in allowing some of these crimes to take place. They ignore the constitution, they ignore international law, and they oppose any questioning so that they could continue to do so.

Disgusting.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
A commission reamed Clinton an new one and he deserved it.

If Bush has nothing to hide he should welcome an investigation into his presidency. A proud legacy to put into his presidential library.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Don't forget that Leahy was one of the opponents of the Iraq war who received a package of anthrax for his troubles. I don't think he's the dog and pony type. I think he knows as well as the rest of the establishment that the American people have had it UP TO HERE with Empire and delusions of grandeur.

Following Waco, there was a general "stand down" order given all across the federal government - even to IRS tax delinquency enforcement. With the economy as it is, and communications as they are... the "people" are more powerful than they have ever been in the history of history. Part of the government's job, from this point forward, will be to capture us all in the delusions of our choosing and to fracture us, because they could not stop us right now if we revolted. Even the men and women in the armed services and law enforcement would turn on the establishment if they pushed too hard at this point.

Most have no idea how close we are too the edge of the abyss right now at this very moment.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter
Don't forget that Leahy was one of the opponents of the Iraq war who received a package of anthrax for his troubles. I don't think he's the dog and pony type. I think he knows as well as the rest of the establishment that the American people have had it UP TO HERE with Empire and delusions of grandeur.

Following Waco, there was a general "stand down" order given all across the federal government - even to IRS tax delinquency enforcement. With the economy as it is, and communications as they are... the "people" are more powerful than they have ever been in the history of history. Part of the government's job, from this point forward, will be to capture us all in the delusions of our choosing and to fracture us, because they could not stop us right now if we revolted. Even the men and women in the armed services and law enforcement would turn on the establishment if they pushed too hard at this point.

Most have no idea how close we are too the edge of the abyss right now at this very moment.

well said! i agree wholeheartedly, and i'm just hoping that we're able to hold it together here. i hate to think of all of the people that may suffer if we truly fall into the proverbial abyss that you speak of.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
applebiter

Well said, but any commission investigating the Bush administration should have legal power of subpoena and the enforcement thereof. Otherwise it is just a dog and pony show regardless of who supports it.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
well,,,in his address tonite,,obama was asked about this

and said,,
he will read it first and NOT rule it out,,,that no one is above the law

new topics

top topics

join