It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARE program and all drugs are bad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So....my kids school runs the DARE program, which is admirable I guess. (Although that is where I learned to make laced brownies and how people shoot up) The problem is everything is considered a 'drug'.

Tylenol? I was told that it is a drug. Yes, I know. However, it is a good drug that helps your body when you don't feel well. My daughter only takes it under protest because it has been drilled into her that 'all drugs are bad' and 'you shouldn't take drugs'

I think the aims of the program are noble: educating kids about drugs. But scaring elementary school kids into thinking Tylenol/cold medicine/prescriptions are not good? I fail to see how that helps.

Anyone else agree with the message but disagree with the delivery?

Or have I found the only school in the known world that teaches creationism, treats man landing on the moon as scientific fact (and considers it unpatriotic to question these things) and now has Tylenol in the same class as heroin?

And, yes, I am pulling them from the school at the end of the year.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I would rather my kids do drugs then take anything over the counter.

The Eugenics projects still wage on.

But seriously though, I remember being in the DARE program in fifth grade, and I remember not learning a thing beside the fact that people are ignorantly biased.

You would do better to take your kids out of the program and encourage drug use.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Interesting idea....I'm slightly amused that a drug prevention program gave me some great ideas about how to DO drugs creatively.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by valedintent

Well the famous DARE program...ohh you must be Canadian haha. Man i thought that program died years ago, i didn't even know they were still spewing this propaganda to our children.

I think at this point, with young children, they're simply attempting to stop them from wanting to take ANY kind of drug, based on the fact that 10 Tylenol could kill a 10 year old.

It is a noble program, but I think it sometimes scares children more than anything else, especially when they see they're parents taking over the counters or sleep aids and things of that nature.

I think that with the level of comprehension and understanding that you seem to have, you should be more than qualified to teach your kids about the dangers and non-dangers of drug use, without scaring them to death like this program would be doing.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
My oldest son was a member of SADD, it stands for Students Against Destructive Decisions.

The program is great, its not to preachy, they do alot of fun things and the kids end up deciding for themselves that you don't need drugs or alcohol to have a good time.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
yeah i was in the DARE program too in 5th and 6th grades...and look at me now, full-on pothead

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

Aren't we all?

And how soon will one of my kids show up at school to report mommy does DRUGS and I ended up getting raided for Flinstones vitamins and Tylenol...

I'd swear the cop who teaches it is a baker, too. If not, he's got brain burn some other way...and red eyes.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I remember having the shirts, pencils and stickers...but damn if i remember anything about the actual course. Now? Hell, I learned all I needed to know about drugs on my own, friends, the internet and the world at large. No matter how much a person can try to 'bubble' their kids in, the world will get their hands on them!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by valedintent

I was in OSAID, or Ontario Students Against Impaired Driving. I think it is more admirable, as it says if you are going to do drugs, do them and DON'T drive, unlike MADD, which is pretty much against all drug (or is it only alcohol?) use.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
DRUGS.

Without 'U' they would just be DRGS.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
lol!
i remember doing a "smoking stinks" commercial in class, and i'm also a hardcore cowboy killer enthusiast now.

kinda off topic, but did you know that flintstone vitamins are pretty much the best vitamins that you can take? those adult vitamins are crap compared to flintstones

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If you're kids are programmed to think all drugs are bad then really screw with their minds and tell them about all the drugs that are in the food they eat, the drugs that are illegal to possess but naturally are inside their brains, oh and while you're at it tell them about the wonderful things in the city tap water
j/k
Kids may be susceptible to public school brainwashing programs but like us they will grow up one day and have minds of their own.

I remember DARE. I think I slept through most of the class and what little I did learn was forgot when the bell would ring.

[edit on 2/9/2009 by darklife]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
also,, funny or ironic,,,,,is when i was in h.s.,,, the only kids that would wear DARE shirts were the kids that did drugs

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by shortywarn
also,, funny or ironic,,,,,is when i was in h.s.,,, the only kids that would wear DARE shirts were the kids that did drugs

That's the way it was in all the schools I went to, too. Another funny thing about that is that when the DARE organization gets orders for more of those shirts, they probably think that they're "reaching the kids".

One thing that disturbed me about DARE was the way that the cop seemed to get the kids who had parents or grandparents that smoked weed to feel guilty about it. I'm not sure if it was intentional, though. My memory is a little hazy when it comes to the DARE classes. I do remember that he brought up how a kid that he had taught earlier talked to him about their parents, so it's possible that it was intentional.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I remember DARE. It was supposedly optional, and being the slacker i am, i thought "ok, just more busy work, screw this." But I was eventually forced to complete their little brainwashing program, through coercion and thinly veiled threats. complete wast of my freakin' time as i had assumed. Don't let them force your kids to take it, it's a waste of their time, it's time taken away from actually learning something useful (there's a novel idea: dispensing USEFUL information in school!) and (unless things have changed since i was in 5th grade) it's not mandatory. Just Say NO! to government propaganda and brainwashing schemes.

TheAssociate

[edit on 17-2-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The DARE program takes root in my household next month. This is gonna be bad. Doesn't help that my state has decriminalized possession of small amounts of pot. Now that it's not a jail offense, I STILL have to tow the line and make out that it's bad, right?

new topics

top topics

join