It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HR 40 - Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
What about those who look white but have slavery in the family tree how's that going to fly.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I am all for repatriation! It is about time!

Oh, sorry, misread title..

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'm certainly no fan of slavery, but if I were black, I would thank my lucky stars my family were slaves; reason being I would be a black man in America, rather than a dead one in Africa. I would thank America, rather than demand payment for someone I never knew.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Blah... my grandparents came over on the boat in the early 1900's. Every culture on earth is responsible or slavery, bigotry, discrimination at some time or another in it's history..... get over it.

OK, I am guilty too, my ancestors were Roman... An Equal Opportunity Enslaver... they didn't care where you come from, your ethnicity, sex, color, race you were... Everyone was equal to row the boat... LOL, little joke.

Should Italy pay off the entire human race for Rome's sins?

Should the US pay Italian immigrants for the treatment they received in tenement housing and slave wages in the 1800-early 1900s?

Should not the Native Americans receive reparations?

It goes on and on.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

It goes on and on.

This where the problem lies. What group would not qualify? Everybody would be standing in line seeking their piece of the pie. I personally feel that over the years many forms of compensation via legislation has taken care of the wrongs of the past. If it wasn't for such legislation, Obama would still be seeking his 40 acres and mule instead of leading one of the Greatest nation in the world.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You all are forgetting something, it was not just your ancestors (slave owners) who were involved, it was also the government, and quite honestly I am surprised they have not received an apology yet, how disrespectful.

There should be no compensation however, it should've happened after slavery was abolished, not thought of over 100 years later, when the effects of an apology would of meant the most.

That 115 year old African american woman's parents were slaves, she should be asked what should happen, she is very closely related to it.

ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL. Remember that quote, that guy owned slaves? I guess the hypocrisy still runs through the average american veins.

"(A) Whether the Government of the United States should offer a formal apology on behalf of the people of the United States for the perpetration of gross human rights violations on African slaves and their descendants." - I believe they should. Because if it wasn't for Abraham Lincoln, they probably still would've been today, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 1xion325alpha

it was also the government, and quite honestly I am surprised they have not received an apology yet, how disrespectful.

On July 30, 2008, the United States House of Representatives passed a resolution apologizing for American slavery and subsequent discriminatory laws.[83]
en.wikipedia.org...

www.npr.org...

Seriously, what more needs to be done? Our current government (the people in office) had nothing to do with it.

Good Lord.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

The $8 million is appropriated to fund this commission.
This commission is to determine and make recommendations as to what if any reparations are to be made.

This just serves to point out the need for better lobbying groups for the interests of Native Americans
Irish
Italians
Hispanics
etc......

This is discrimination against all other groups that also suffered atrocities under the administration of the USA.

The bill purports to study events that occurred since 1619 and subsequent discrimination against African-Americans.

This very premise is discriminatory against all others by being excluded from the study.

How is the USA going to be judged accountable for events that occurred 150 years prior to it's existence?

The USA is hardly the only country that fostered slavery - will this study also seek reparations from other governments?

I see this as one more way to acquire funding for research that is by definition divisive and discriminatory.

111th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 40

To acknowledge the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery in the United States and the 13 American colonies between 1619 and 1865 and to establish a commission to examine the institution of slavery, subsequently de jure and de facto racial and economic discrimination against African-Americans, and the impact of these forces on living African-Americans, to make recommendations to the Congress on appropriate remedies, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 6, 2009

www.opencongress.org...

This bill was introduced by John Conyers - Democrat from Michigan
www.opencongress.org...

Co-sponsored by Luis Gutierrez - Democrat from Illinois
www.opencongress.org...

and Robert Scott - Democrat from Virginia
www.opencongress.org...

A superficial study of the legislative activities of these three rookie politicians
reveals to me an agenda of discrimination and entitlement. IMHO.

Where's the change?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

....8 million dollar is only to fund the Committee to STUDY slavery.... read the last line of the bill

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Reparations? Yes it's wrong. But apologies??? I suppose the government might as well make a formal apology to all African American citizens. Better yet, let's just apologize to the whole freaking world while we're at it, right? After all, Bill Clinton did apologize to the Japanese for dropping the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to end the second World War. Nevermind the fact that move probably ended saving millions more lives than those bombs cost by bringing about a surrendur. So why not just go a. and apologize to everyone for every wrong our country has ever done to anyone while we're at it?

At this rate we'll be owing apologies Native American Indians for bringing disease to them and herding them off their tribal lands like cattle; we'll owe apologies to the British for killing their military men while we were so selfish as to want to establish an independent nation; Hey, we're going to need to apologize to North Korea and China because there's no telling how many troops our forces killed in that "police action"; we'll need to apologize to Vietnam for fighting over there; we should apologize to Russia for portraying them as war-hungry communists during the 80's; who else do we owe apologies to - Bosnia; Kosovo; South Africa? Where does it end???

If you're prepared to offer even apologies, not reparations but JUST apologies, then I would argue that you need to be prepared to offer them to every people of every single nation that we've ever slighted.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_Guardian
I dont think african americans should get reparations because over the years the government has supported them. I do however believe there should be an official apology from the government.

But before that could happen I want the native americans to be repayed for what they went through, I want an official apology because this was their land in the first, and I want one of the midwestern states to be given completely to them for their control.

Whoa...I was all with you there until the bit about a "midwestern state". I live in Illinois! LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join