It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HR 40 - Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings about apologizing for something my ancestors did. I also find it strange that time and time again this very issue is brought up in Congress. I am beginning to wonder if they are really sincere about this or are they just open to get some money appropriated for some of their friends and relatives who will be heading the commission.

Do we really need a commission to realize that slavery was wrong? Is 8 million really necessary to find out the facts that they are seeking?

(7) Recommend appropriate remedies in consideration of the Commission’s findings on the matters described in paragraphs (1), (2), (3), and (4). In making such recommendations, the Commission shall address among other issues, the following questions:

(A) Whether the Government of the United States should offer a formal apology on behalf of the people of the United States for the perpetration of gross human rights violations on African slaves and their descendants.

(B) Whether African-Americans still suffer from the lingering effects of the matters described in paragraphs (1), (2), (3), and (4).

(C) Whether, in consideration of the Commission’s findings, any form of compensation to the descendants of African slaves is warranted.

(D) If the Commission finds that such compensation is warranted, what should be the amount of compensation, what form of compensation should be awarded, and who should be eligible for such compensation.

To carry out the provisions of this Act, there are authorized to be appropriated $8,000,000.

www.opencongress.org...

What other groups should we apologize to and compensate for America's past injustices?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Ohhhh god....here we go!

I want my bailout...err.... reperations too!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
How is this not racist.

To give black people money for nothing is:

-welfare
-racist
-wrong

Lets be honest here, we (the current population) had nothing to do with slavery. In fact, throughout history, just about everyone of every race was a slave at one time.

The execution of this bill will only show the true intentions of the Obama Machine; To manipulate and exploit anyone and everyone to get what they want... more power with 0% opposition.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I think that there should be some research done by government, and, in the incredibly unlikely event that this passes and it's decided that reparations are appropriate, that descendants of people who immigrated to this country after slavery was abolished should be immune to the tax penalties that would apply to citziens paying for the reparations. For instance, my grandparents came to america from Holland in the very early 1900's. They played no part in slavery. My other set of grandparents are French Canadian, from Canada.

If I wind up having to pay reparations for slavery which none of my known ancestors could have participated in, I'm going to be pissed.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Reparations are wrong. If it is studied for African-Americans, it should be studied for Native Americans as well. Hell, then it should be done for everyone. It would be a never-ending circle.

Also, who would decide who would pay the reparations? Not every American had ancestors who owned slaves.

It is horrible that slavery happened.....but paying people money now does not make up for that horror.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I always wonder if the people who push for "reparations" understand all of the nuances involved.

I mean, a blanket check to all blacks? Only those with slave blood? Will the Africans who sold captures to the Europeans pay a percentage?

Will there be a scale of reparation vs. percentage of slave blood?

For it to be done with any degree of "right" or "fairness" would be impossible so if anything was to be done at all it would be a blanket act whoch itself is unfair and would lend to a future cause of reparations for those who werent properly compensated the first time around with those who were over compensated to blame.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
What about the family's who were murdered by slaves?

Either way you look at this, it's bad.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cio88

It is bad and it is wrong.

If the government does it for one group, it opens the doors to doing it for every other group that has a beef with the government, who feels they were slighted at some point during this country's history.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

For instance, my grandparents came to america from Holland in the very early 1900's. They played no part in slavery. My other set of grandparents are French Canadian, from Canada.

If I wind up having to pay reparations for slavery which none of my known ancestors could have participated in, I'm going to be pissed.

This is a very valid point and should have been included as a point to ponder if such commission were to be created.

Excellent point.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hey, where's my 20 acres and a mule???? I'm repressed and I demand reparations. You people have been holding me back for too long.

White Irish Americans will be heard!!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think they should first determine how many members of the proposed commission owe back taxes to the IRS. Unless they personally contribute, they shouldn't have any say as to how other peoples tax dollars should be spent.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

White Irish Americans will be heard!!

Hasn't Ted Kennedy compensated you all enough already?

I get your point. Everybody and every group will be standing in line for their handout.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
yeah throw money at us. that'll make it all go away and everything will be perfect.

the blind leading the blind children.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

My grandparents also immigrated well after the civil war. I'm Irish and Swedish. The Irish were treated pretty badly when they came here.

However, I don't think that anyone should receive reparations for something that happened to their ancestors.

I was researching a post onetime and found out that less than 25% of southern households owned slaves prior to the civil war. Only about 10% of the households in the nation owned slaves.

Importation of slaves was banned in 1805. Only about 5% of slaves came to the US, the rest went farther south.

I think that pretty much everyone agrees that slavery was evil. I'm glad that slavery was abolished in 1865.

BUT, I don't think that I should have to pay reparations to people who were never slaves.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I dont think african americans should get reparations because over the years the government has supported them. I do however believe there should be an official apology from the government.

But before that could happen I want the native americans to be repayed for what they went through, I want an official apology because this was their land in the first, and I want one of the midwestern states to be given completely to them for their control.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Reperations and Consequences

This video is very important. Check this out

Is just wrong.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by M157yD4wn]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well crap! The SJHTFan and is splattered all over the place. Seeing as how I am Caucasian no matter what I say one way or another I will be found as racist.

So, the only thing I will say is this. How can we justify the spending of this when this money is desperately needed for rebuilding our seemingly crumbling economy?

I can feel the anger sharks swimming in my head now.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

Seeing as how I am Caucasian no matter what I say one way or another I will be found as racist.

I don't see you as a racist. I see you as an American voicing his/her opinion about an issue. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by southern_Guardian

But before that could happen I want the native americans to be repayed for what they went through, I want an official apology because this was their land in the first, and I want one of the midwestern states to be given completely to them for their control.

I value this point you made about Native Americans.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

To carry out the provisions of this Act, there are authorized to be appropriated $8,000,000.
Let's see. $8 million... with more than 40 million black citizens. Each will get less than 20 cents...

Oh wait, postage. Scratch that...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join