It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did the stereotypical alien image come from?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The Crowley angle is interesting...had forgotten all about that drawing.
Of course, he isn't the most solid of testimonials.... Still though, the concept is eerily similar...

Also, never really considered that the Gray is similar to the Martians depicted in 1950's Sci-Fi, just change the skin to green and make them meaner with cat eyes and teeth, and there you go....

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I have indicated those before as well.. and still it continues as though our posts never existed. Has a one person acknowled the ancient evidence other than you or I so far?

I think not.. although aleister crowley got a nod.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari

I have indicated those before as well.. and still it continues as though our posts never existed. Has a one person acknowled the ancient evidence other than you or I so far?

I've just been reading through this thread and yes, I have acknowledged the posts regarding ancient drawings/statues.

This is probably why we make so little progress on these subjects as the absolute majority are ignorant of ancient cultures and the significant esoteric knowledge they possessed.

Forget 1950's b-movies and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the truth is buried deep in history.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by thebox

BRAVO to both you and NephraTari

I could go onto posting ancient cave drawings but the point is mute. The fact is that there is so much evidence that it amazes me that people just do not get it. Also if somebody truly wanted to investigate this they would also go through many of the ancient writings and myths then they would really get a grip on has happened in our past.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Agreed. Crowley's LAM entity is the oldest modern depiction I've found of a grey. Hundreds of stylised images in ancient rock art/primative arte etc. I think the cover to Strieber's Communion popularised the stero typical image.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I think the Roswell case spawned lots of comics and movies but Mr Speilberg certainly rammed it home with E.T. and Close Encounters.

All bunk imo

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by shujinko90

I think the modern Grey image developed over time,

Psychologically the Grey image is a powerful one, they're emotionless, cold, sterile, they're everything we fear becoming as a species. In fact alien abductions aren't too different from what we as humans do to other animals all the time, just try watching any nature show on TV. We pull a shark onto a boat, probe it, tag it with some tracker implant, and release it all in the name of science...

Also, during the 50s and 60s is when the current image began to take shape, we were "fighting" the communists, who were a sort of collective, and were seen almost as a hive mind, and so we projected our fears of communism in a lot of our B-Movies and such... So I wouldn't rule out Communism as a factor, especially since the Cold War was often blamed for Flying Saucer hysteria...

The ancient cave art is fascinating, but there's no way of knowing what exactly those images are describing. Let's not forget that even though the ancients gave us cave art they also gave us stories of Centaurs and other mythological beings, the Aztecs gave us a feathered serpent god. Human beings have quite the imagination and while I'll admit some of the art is downright eerie we really can't jump to the conclusion of aliens all at once.

Though aliens do prove a quick-n-easy explanation for how human civilization just kinda exploded onto the scene...

The strange thing is that the Grey image came about in the 60s and has stuck with us this long... course now they're competing with the Reptilian shape-shifters... Which leads me to one slightly off topic question,

Was David Icke totally high when he watched THEY LIVE, or what?

[edit on 10-2-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The 'greys' are clearly evolved humans from the future. They have the large head and small bodies because as they advanced technologically, they no longer needed large, strong bodies, bud did need higher levels of intelligence to advance technology. The human body is incapable of having both extremely high levels of thought and computing, as well as large size and muscle mass. Both require more energy than can be metabolized. Look at the smartest person Earth- S. Hawking. His body failed, as his brain evolved.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I remember watching the pilot Star Trek with the big headed aliens that captured the captain. The first captain not Captain Kirk. That was 1966. Also, I think it was Lost In Space pilot 1965 at the very end they pan back and there are these big headed aliens spying through the brush at them. Also, in the Wizard Of Oz, 1939 the projected image of the Wizard also looks like a grey alien.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Sorry I should not have posted the Alistair Crowley picture as someone obviously posted older images of things that looked less like the modern grey but they were older nonetheless. Mama always said I'd amount to nothing.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
Sorry I should not have posted the Alistair Crowley picture as someone obviously posted older images of things that looked less like the modern grey but they were older nonetheless. Mama always said I'd amount to nothing.

I think there's a lot to be said of the Crowley drawing, but once again I feel Crowley's 'visions' and esoteric experiments were based upon the knowledge of the ancients.

We'd make much more progress in mystery solving if we actively sought out the root sources. Sadly this doesn't seem to be the fashion these days.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I remember reading a book when i was a kid.. "UFO: the continuing enigma" . It had a story about a guy that claimed he first drew the stereotypical bug-eyed alien design that seemed to be emblazoned on everything in the mid nineties. (the alien from the cover of "communion", essentially). The guy's name was Rusty Hudson.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I agree with all the previous posts concerning ancient imagery of apparent aliens and also those of Crowley and B&B Hill but I think the stereotypical image of aliens really took off after Whitley Strieber's "Communion" & "Transformation" books. That's just IMHO....

Communion Cover:

Transformation Cover:

IRM

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Large-headed, almond-eyed aliens and classic flying saucers are depicted in cave paintings and pictographs dating back over 17,000 years. I've seen the photos right here in ATS (oh yeah, I posted them).

But... The quintessential alien caricature that took human imagination by storm is THIS DUDE:

Invasion of the Saucer Men 1957

These are the creepiest aliens you have ever seen... They look like little kids running around with big balloon heads and bug eyes (which, as it happens, is exactly what they were). But with a difference! These aliens will sneak up on you and inject alcohol into your brain! Imagine Kosmo Kramer having a spastic seizure.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
There are many pre-1947 works of science-fiction that prefigure the Gray form.

Very good articles here:
magonia.haaan.com...
magonia.haaan.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
OR..

the grey "image" we see is nothing more than a highly efficient body-suit.
huge wrap-around goggle style lenses that encompass the entirety of their field of vision and peripheral vision...
totally self contained and impenetrable to surrounding elements or lack thereof (vaccuum of space)...

technology intermingling with their biology seamlessly for full efficiency as the tasks required demand..

just imagine where our "space suits" the astronauts use.. would evolve to technologically and stylistically one hundred.. one thousand years in the future.. with the advent of nanotechnology and heads up displays..

i could see us devising a very similar "suit" for all practical non-native environment/atmosphere expeditionary purposes..

either that...

OR they just enjoy the RISK they take exposing themselves to all the billions of microbes and corrosive elements / radioactive / electromagnetic pollution on the surface of earth when they visit.. just for fun.. by lounging around naked in our presence.. in our homes during abductions.. exposed to god knows what.. rat/roach feces on the ground... the millions of forms of toxic bacteria that in habit our breath expelling in our breath's vapor every breath we exhale...

oh yeah.. prance around naked in our environment... without any preventative protectionary measures or technology at hand..
completely vulnerable to being infected or damaged..

i don't think so.

its most likely a suit and filled with every form of ultra nano technology you could imagine...
protection.. locomotion.. mental extension... vision enhancements .. etc..

you get the picture.

-

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
The strange thing is that the Grey image came about in the 60s and has stuck with us this long... course now they're competing with the Reptilian shape-shifters... Which leads me to one slightly off topic question,

Was David Icke totally high when he watched THEY LIVE, or what?

That raises another point altogether.

It's easy to cry 'DAVID ICKE?! WHAT A NUTTER', though in doing so great ignorance is being displayed; the kind of ignorance we are simply sick of in our day to day lives and as a result find ourselves trawling the pages of this very site in an attempt to escape it.

Now I'm pretty sure much of what I write here is going to be ignored, as is usually the case when David Icke is called into question, but I'm going to proceed anyway.

As I've mentioned in several threads recently, if we want actual answers to real conundrums we must look toward their origins. David Icke is merely a voice. If you have a genuine problem with a theory, be it Icke’s or otherwise, is it wiser to -

a) Slag them off publically, drawing attention to your obvious ignorance
or
b) Investigate their sources yourself, allowing you to come to a well-informed and intelligent conclusion of your own?

I'll go for 'b' every time thanks.

Which leads me to my point, David Icke's 'Reptilian Theory' ISN'T HIS. If you have a problem with the theory, take it up with Credo Mutwa the African Shaman or Arizona Wilder et al.

Credo Mutwa
Arizona Wilder

Once again answers can be found in our past. Mutwa, the grandson of a Zulu Warrior, has knowledge of ancient history passed from generation to generation. People like Mutwa are the ones we should be focusing are attentions upon.

Deny ignorance!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
imo, the most credible accounts of alien abduction or alien close encounter, the ones with multiple witnesses, don't often talk about 4ft grey skinned beings with big black bug eyes. These cases describe slender humanoid beings 5-6ft in height which wear black or grey tight-fitting full body suit, skin with no pigmentation, larger heads and eyes than humans with the eyes containing an iris and a pupil.

None of the cases which I find credible describe these beings as being naked. But we're constantly exposed to these Communion type aliens which are 4ft insect-like and don't wear any clothing. In other words, the stereotypical grey is inaccurate.

If some people suggest that the greys can't be real because the basis came from science fiction, they might want to look at artwork, some going back thousands of years, which contain reasonably accurate descriptions of dinosaurs before they were discovered.

Is the grey just a highly evolved human? Our ears are not going to shrink if our primary mode of communication is speech. If you discount telepathy, it would not be a prediction of a highly evolved human to have tiny ears.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari

Ok, how about i handwave them?
yes, agreed, those figurines and paintings propably dont depict humans.
Do they depict what is a classical grey? Nope, they got prominent ears in one case and round eyes in another. And those statues are lizards.

Question is actually: what is the stereotypical alien in popular culture (wich is what the OP was asking for) It would go with grey, maybe to a lesser extent reptilian.

... all of those look nothing like gigers alien btw....

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebox

Originally posted by stikkinikki

I think there's a lot to be said of the Crowley drawing, but once again I feel Crowley's 'visions' and esoteric experiments were based upon the knowledge of the ancients.

We'd make much more progress in mystery solving if we actively sought out the root sources. Sadly this doesn't seem to be the fashion these days.

Yup, like I said I really messed up. Sorry I was not in fashion dude. Forward the thread script to me next time?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join