It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did the stereotypical alien image come from?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I was just wondering, who posed the first depiction of whats known to be a '' grey ''. Stereotypical thin body, large black eyes, bulbus head.

I've been looking around on google, but to no avail. So maybe some better researchers could lend a helping hand?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I believe the modern "Gray" started taking shape in the 60's. Unfortunetly I dont really know more specifics than this, that's just something I've remember browsing.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well I would have to say that Hollywood more than anything else. Betty and Barny Hill description back in the 60's along with the a book written by Bud Hopkins...but no other has created the typical look of the Greys than this movie:

Before that it was quite funny the way they were viewed:

[edit on 2/9/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I've read that it might be an image that seems familiar to us all, because its what the doctors looks like when you're being born. I don't know if I buy that, but it seems plausible.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cio88
I've read that it might be an image that seems familiar to us all, because its what the doctors looks like when you're being born. I don't know if I buy that, but it seems plausible.

Well when you are born you can not see any further than 3-4 feet and it is apparently just a blurred image from what I understand. That's what they told me when my daughter was born. An interesting fact that many people probably don't know is we are all born with blue eyes.They may be dark but they are in fact blue. The eye pigment starts to come into the eyes a few days later.

[edit on 2/9/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The outer limits
Episode "Wolf 349" (or 341?)

actually i recall one researcher wondering if barney & betty hill had the image from there.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Well when you are born you can not see any further than 3-4 feet and it is apparently just a blurred image from what I understand.

Exactly. The doctor with his white hat, and white mouth guard probably looks pretty odd to a baby. A lot like a grey in fact.

reply to post by debunky

Originally posted by debunky
The outer limits

actually i recall one researcher wondering if barney & betty hill had the image from there.

Yeah, except for the grey image has been seen before the 1900s in the form of cave paintings and such.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Cio88]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
oh...
I don't know the images seem to have been around for a few thousand years id say

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
All of this we are saying is actually very true....but I think if you are looking at how it hit us on a mass scale to the world population you would have to look at modern media.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
CaptGizmo had it in the first post...the Hill Case...

The outer limits

If you've ever seen the image from that though, it really doesn't resemble the Hills' description very much at all... The researcher is Klass, and he did more than wonder, it was his claim that they did so, and he basically said that was that...disregarding all other evidence to the contrary (especially the fact that the Hills didn't watch the show, and previous to the encounter, the subject had zero interest for them).

Klass further contended that some rare Japanese imported movie may have also contributed, but this is an even bigger leap, as even afficionados of such fare would have had trouble finding a place it was playing... I'm sure it's still on CSICOP's website.....

The Hill Case started the abduction accounts for the mainstream (there was an earlier one, but that gentleman was pretty out there, had to do with women from Venus, you get the drift).... 'Communion' helped as well...and other accounts just reinforced it....

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by debunky

Some say that the alien from Betty and Barney Hill's description may have been from the episode titled "The Bellero Shield". I saw that episode once, and I can see how it's possible that that is where they got it from, but I'm not entirely convinced.

Here is part one:
www.youtube.com...
I think the alien appears in a later part, so you may want to skip ahead.

edit - multiple edits

[edit on 2/9/2009 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You ever notice when we present evidence of ancients mentioning these beings it gets widely ignored and overlooked conveniently?

Personally I find that one of the most aggrivating things when dealing with those who demand proof.. they ignore the things that are the most compelling because they do not really WANT you to be able to come up with anything convincing. *sigh*

Thanks for trying to share what many of us know.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Seen that episode? Its not kinda like a grey, it is a grey.
except that its incorporeal.

www.amazon.com...=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=404272&s=video

dont find a better image right now.
Anyway until someone shows me something that is a grey (pointed chin, almond shaped eyes), and not kinda like a grey from before 1963 i say that is where they first appeared

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by debunky

That does look a lot like one, but that episode aired after Barney's sessions.

Simon began hypnotizing the Hills on January 4, 1964. He hypnotized Betty and Barney several times each, and the sessions lasted until June 6, 1964.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Wolf 359" is an episode of the original The Outer Limits television show. It first aired on 7 November 1964

en.wikipedia.org...(The_Outer_Limits)

edit - I see that the wiki page for "wolf 359" needs better references, so here's another source:
www.imdb.com...

[edit on 2/9/2009 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Oops, yes, it's the Bellero Shield episode Klass mentions....

Looks nothing like a gray imho...

www.anomalymagazine.com...

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Alaister Crowley maybe? This is something he channeled.

I don't believe in stuff I know nothing about.

[edit on 2/9/09 by stikkinikki]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
thanks for the info and insight so far

seems a little bit of a mystery i guess. I remember watching a show about the aboriginal people, that had drawn some images which looked similar to what we know as the alien gray / grey. Maybe it stemmed from something else, or maybe it is just a creation of hollywood.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Interesting, I've never heard of him. He definately predates The Bellero Shield. It says on this page that he did that in 1918. Of course, the ancient cave stuff predates this drawing, but this looks more like a grey than any of the cave stuff I've seen so far. I'll admit though, I haven't seen all the cave drawings.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The star was discovered using astrophotography by German astronomer Max Wolf in 1918

... and crowley drew that thingy in 1918? now we are on to something

though i'd say crowleys image is in the "kinda like a grey" category.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

I know and completely agree take for examples these obviously Steven Spielberg and the Twilight zone influenced the Mesopotamians

Here are some early art work that predates Close Encounters the dates are from the early 50s

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join