It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians and Atheists Battle in London Bus Wars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The word of God is on the move in London — literally. Beginning Feb. 9, three separate Christian groups will launch advertisements on more than 200 of London's buses to convince pedestrians of God's existence. His organization has paid $50,000 to display posters on that quote Psalm 53.
The move follows a month-long campaign by atheists, agnostics and other non-believers that saw 800 London buses plastered with a less God-fearing slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-2-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Wow this is crazy ... anyone in London actually had to witness this? All i can say is wow to this ... this is crossing the line ... talk about trying to force your views down other people's throats not only by the atheist's but also by the christian's ... i've never seen something like this happen before ... well at least not to this extent ...

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Oh man I honestly am sick of this by now. If god exists not only may you meet him/her/it when you die but if you don't then whatever. Seriously while as an atheist myself I honestly could not give a 'damn' what people think or expect from me.

Even those anti-god slogans on the buses I hear of are a waste of time. In my area its common for bible pushers to come and just like a electricity salesman I just say "Im not interested" and shut the door. They have the entire conversation worked out, and since they get "Im not interested" so often, only closing the door and shutting them off to your face works.

As for buses that is just stupid. Shows just how much money those churches rake in, especially considering they want their halaboo stated to the world so they can rake in more dough. Fine for them, just get out of my face will ya bible pushers.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I think the God-bus wars are funny as heck.

Yes there is some attempt to influence the minds of the masses. But think about it. They are advertising on buses. The ridiculousness is beautiful. I just cant wait for the pagans to jump in with a bunch of their Gods.

They should steal a slogan off a T shirt I saw;

Envision; Large picture of Thor with huge beard, viking gear, and a hammer.

Slogan; My God carries a hammer, your God was nailed to a cross. Any questions?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Aoxoa

don't you think though that the atheist's doing this should have provoked the christian's? and i wonder how much those atheist's had to pay if the christian's paid $50,000 for 200 buses when the atheist's had 800 buses ... that's a whole lot of $$$

and to respond to the post above me i completely agree this is laughable for all involved ...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
pointless waste of resources.

they are both as bad as each other.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Jesus was not a god thought, he was the son of god... Not religious but just saying that that dude got nailed because he was prattling on about some god he made up and a book somehow managed to write about. Coincidence indeed.

I think not. Control the masses with religion (And amass a ton of gold/money too).

Btw why exactly do people put money in the basket or big huge safebox they pass around anyway? To help children? To help the elderly?... And yet then after when a church go-er has financial trouble, they yet again ask if fellow church go-ers can help financially...

$$$ = religion = $$$...

That is my true colors indeed... I hate organized religion, and for many reasons I guess. Btw this Jesus guy... Has he resurrected yet, or are we all STILL waiting for it... Oh and also the end of the world

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

curious
anyone actualy pay notice to bill boards and adverts on buses
for me i walk past have a glance and pay no notice at and get on with my business

anyone want to save up for Look Above UFOs Above
or something else that sounds more intresting to do with UFOs

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
People with too much time on their hands that really, REALLY need to get a life.

Seriously, I don't happen to give a hoot what god (or gods) someone has faith in and thinks exists. It's a personal belief after all and I object when either side of the fence, believers or non-believers, starts with the exists / doesn't exist garbage. Both sides should just accept the fact that not everyone believes in what they do and get on with life instead of fueling their petty little arguments.
I think the whole issue is getting just a little ridiculous now, especially after the nurse the other week sacked for offering to pray for a patient. That is just so seriously screwed up and hardly a worthy excuse to sack someone. I've had people offering to pray for me before (most of my family are devout Christians - I'm the heathen non-believer) but I'm not offended and don't feel the need to start an argument about it. I may not believe it'll do any good but at least it shows someone cares about my well being.

Both sides just need to take a step back and chill and those pushing the arguments for or against should just shut the hell (does it exist? I dunno!) up and treat people with a little more courtesy and respect their personal beliefs.

The fact that both sides are willing to spend money on advertising their beliefs on the sides of buses just shows that there is a sucker willing to be parted from their cash every minute.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Well honestly of course it would of provoked them. Buses zooming around with slogans such as "They maybe no god" and such would defiantly provoke the zealots. I mean its a double edged world we live in where peaceful countries incite war "In the name of God", or just do tons of nasty stuff because of a book that states its not allowed.

Witches? Those would of been fun times for Lords and etc who if they hated someone would just burn them at a stake, drown them or worse.... Honestly unless I am mistaken and humans have become quite mundane, there has not been one case of a fire been lit without a match, or anyone flying (Even Chris Angel).

Almost every war currently being fought out there happens to be of differing religious views...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I don’t think the point was to “convert” people to atheism but to highlight the point that religions get special dispensation and undue levels of tolerance compared to other categories of belief. I think this was proven somewhat true with things like the driver incident and plenty of others that are not related to the buses.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

This is quite true in a way. The very word Atheist provokes images of demon worship or just a sorry/lonely person. People who honestly believe in a god/gods or etc just cannot (especially if they have been taught it) accept that some godless person will eventually be damned to some painful eternity if they do not believe in their god... So preach it, and very adamantly from personnel experience.

I have had people who fully worship their god(s) almost begging me to join their cause and not just door knockers either... What frustrates me is the fact that they cannot accept that someone thinks outside their 'box' and would rather deny existence of something they have never heard, smelt, tasted, felt or seen. While Ive gone off topic I think the major point of what im trying to say has be said. And thats "Just dont bother me about your own views!"...

If they are right, then ill know it when i'm dead... Not before it no way. Ive had near death experiences (Asthma, when I was young and about 3 times) and honestly for its duration there was no shining bright light, or anything... Just nothingness. And yet I still believe there is something that exists after death. Im quite sure you cannot experience what its like to pass on, until you 100% fully have... SO there is absolutely NO way no one can tell me otherwise. My views are firm

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
reply to post by Aoxoa

don't you think though that the atheist's doing this should have provoked the christian's?

The Atheist campaign was a retaliation in itself against the FIRST God botherer campaign which had slogans such as "you'll burn in hell for rejecting the Lord", or other such inflamatory nonsense.

Now the God botherers feel the need to run a second campaign? Bah...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Nice hypocracy from the christians.. launching a message that states Yahweh DEFINITLY exists when the religion itself it FAITH based... which means you dont know, but believe, think/ have faith/that he exists without proof.

But to say he definitly exist is lieing, as they havent got any proof to support his definitite existance.

new topics

top topics

join