It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thirty Mummies Found in Newly Discovered Egyptian Tomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Just trawling the "news" websites for my daily update and thought I'd see if this story had been posted at ATS yet:

CAIRO — A storehouse of 30 Egyptians mummies has been unearthed inside a 2,600-year-old tomb, in a new round of excavations at the vast necropolis of Saqqara outside Cairo, archaeologists said Monday.

It seems not, so here it is!

Thirty Mummies...

Probably not too much exciting here, but:

Karar added that it was quite unusual for mummies of this late period to be stored in rocky niches.

"Niches were known in the very early dynasties, so to find one for the 26th Dynasty, is something rare," Karar said.

Just thought there may be something of interest to regulars of this part of ATS.

Have a nice day, folks!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thats awesome news,i've always been interested in anything ancient eygptian,why i don't know just facinating.
30 new mummies is a big discovery,but with hawass in charge you never know how long he's known about these.
He also says that only 30% of egypts monuments have been discovered,that leaves alot of stuff to find
Hopefully we'll see the 4 sarcophagi opened on t.v sometime in the future

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rhynouk

I think he's being overly optomistic and is referring to only OK materials and later. If you add in Pre-Dynastic neolithic sites the percentage probably goes up to 80-85% undiscovered-and that doesn't cover materials outside the Nile valley.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
MSNBC this morning reports that:

Archaeologists find rare intact mummy...
Completely preserved mummy one of 30 discovered three weeks ago

The article goes on to state:

"It is a typical mummy of the 26th dynasty...This mummy should contain amulets, golden amulets, to help the deceased go to the afterlife," Hawass told reporters after ascending from the mummy's burial chamber, accessible only by a rope pulley.

"To find an intact mummy inside a limestone sarcophagus is not common. It's rare. It's very rare," he said.

There is apparently another of the same "anthropoid wood coffins with hieroglyphic inscriptions" that has so far not been opened due to it's condition. These 30 mummies are certainly keeping their discoverers busy.

Have another very nice day, folks!

top topics

join