It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Rancher Sued By Illegals Crossing his Property

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Just so everyone knows, the bear trap statement was made in jest to illustrate outrage. I thought that was a given.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

So these were trespassing citizens?

I guess the Times article got it wrong then.

After reading more of the transcript, though, this looks like a financial shakedown of the landowner. Given also who the plaintiff's attorneys are, I wonder if it was even a set up?

What a terrible situation.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by loam]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Actually, it is two different incidents. The one with the family was won by the family. The other one is still pending. The man has a history is all I have to say.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You're right. I see that now:

ARIZONA SUPREME COURT REJECTS APPEAL OF VIGILANTE RANCHER WHO ATTACKED U.S. CITIZENS ON ARIZONA BORDER

Incidentally, here is the organization helping the plaintiffs:

MALDEF

I couldn't find more on the present case. It will be interesting to see how this proceeds.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I just find too much information missing in addition to not being 100% clear on what the Arizona laws are. From the article I have read it only portrays his story.

Here is the Arizona laws if anybody wants to take a look at them.

www.azleg.gov...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Has a fund been established to assist the rancher in the legal fees he will incur in defense of this asinine suit? I'd like to contribute.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

yes, and in almost all states it has to be a felony. Most places, tresspassing is a misdemeanor.

You also can't use cruel or excessive force, or keep people under hostile conditions.

Citizens arrest

it is also not protected by any good samaritan act.

Everyone is letting the dismay at illegal immigration cloud their thoughts. What the court sees is a blatant violation of civil liberties.

For example, yes this guy has had people trash his property adn do untold damage.
But what if it is a mother with two children just passing through, doing nothing else. All they have committed is tresspass, and this man threatens them with a gun and holds them till authorities come.

If people start yielding citizens arrests,then your neighbor is gonna hold you at gunpoint every time they think you did somethign wrong.

I am NOT siding with illegals, not one bit. But atrocious behavior or not, I am willing to protect civil liberties first, just like that rancher has a right to own a gun.

The wrong part of this is that the guy was not helped by the government. If his property is being used as through way for illegals, and he reported it, then there should of been something done about it.

800 billion on the wars on terrorism and they won't stop people from using a guys ranch as a doorway.

That is the crime.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I could agree with this if we were talking about CITIZENS. And like I said, the farmers who land we used to fish on never had a problem with us, untill we started leaving garbage. They came, yelled at us and we learned a lesson.

Same with this guy. He even gave them the chance to drink the water without damaging his property. But again, the blatent lack of respect that these people have... They feel that its all theirs to do what they want with. If I was him, I would carry two guns. One to shoot them with, one to plant on the body.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by spliff4020

I really don't know what the laws are regarding illegal status of immigrants. Is it possible that there are treaties that are protecting them?

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

citizen arrest laws differ state to state. even your source showed examples of this.

In Kentucky you can shoot a fleeing felon.

In some states you can arrest them for even a misdemeanor.

And in Arizona they have a castle law which under that law you can shoot and kill trespassers on your property and you can't be convicted of murder.

The simple fact of the matter in this case is the rancher is tired of the illegals crossing his property and destroying his property, even after he went out of his way to help them get water. every time they kill a calf he loses money!

and every time he detained the illegals he either called border patrol or the local sheriff to take them into custody.

and the bottom line is they are illegal aliens. they have no right to be in the U.S. and they have no right to sue a guy because he detained them because they were breaking the laws.

And crossing the border illegally is a felony! the punishment if caught crossing the U.S. border illegally is up to 5 years in prison, up to a $250,000.00 fine and deportation for 5-20 years!

and there are no treaties that protect illegal aliens.

[edit on 2/11/2009 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
It appears TPTB actually want them coming into the US. If this rancher loses this in court, basically the law will say "it's illegal for them to come here, but it's also illegal to stop them".

I can see some of the ranchers dealing with them by a more sinister means if the law abandons them on this.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Ben, would you set a bear trap to protect your family in your house, or feed them to the wolves?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join