It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 Illegals Sue Arizona Rancher--Claim violation of "rights."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

16 Illegals Sue Arizona Rancher--Claim violation of "rights."

www.washingtontimes.com

An Arizona man who has waged a 10-year campaign to stop a flood of illegal immigrants from crossing his property is being sued by 16 Mexican nationals who accuse him of conspiring to violate their civil rights when he stopped them at gunpoint on his ranch on the U.S.-Mexico border.

Roger Barnett, 64, began rounding up illegal immigrants in 1998 and turning them over to the U.S. Border Patrol, he said, after they destroyed his property, killed his calves and broke into his home.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Bush Immigration Reforms:
www.abovetopsecret.com
Operation Wetback:
www.abovetopsecret.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
FEMA Camps for Illegals:
FEMA detention camps, illegal immigration and the coming race wars.
Reform Proposals:
Illegal immigrants, Mexico, immigration reform

[edit on 9-2-2009 by jdub297]

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalize it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 2/9/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
OUTRAGEOUS!! What about Trespassing? Protection of property and lives?

Where's the Americans' 'rights watchdog?"
Shouldn't the ACLU be defending this American famiuly's rights?

The federal lawsuit seeks $32 million in actual and punitive damages for civil rights violations, the infliction of emotional distress and other crimes. Also named are Mr. Barnett's wife, Barbara, his brother, Donald, and Larry Dever, sheriff in Cochise County, Ariz.

The lawsuit is based on a March 7, 2004, incident in a dry wash on the 22,000-acre ranch, when he approached a group of illegal immigrants while carrying a gun and accompanied by a large dog.

Attorneys for the immigrants - five women and 11 men who were trying to cross illegally into the United States - have accused Mr. Barnett of holding the group captive at gunpoint, threatening to turn his dog loose on them and saying he would shoot anyone who tried to escape.

The immigrants are represented at trial by the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF), which also charged that Sheriff Dever did nothing to prevent Mr. Barnett from holding their clients at "gunpoint, yelling obscenities at them and kicking one of the women."

In the lawsuit, MALDEF said Mr. Barnett approached the group as the immigrants moved through his property, and that he was carrying a pistol and threatening them in English and Spanish. At one point, it said, Mr. Barnett's dog barked at several of the women and he yelled at them in Spanish, "My dog is hungry and he's hungry for buttocks."

The lawsuit said he then called his wife and two Border Patrol agents arrived at the site. It also said Mr. Barnett acknowledged that he had turned over 12,000 illegal immigrants to the Border Patrol since 1998.

Mr. Barnett told The Washington Times in a 2002 interview that he began rounding up illegal immigrants after they started to vandalize his property, northeast of Douglas along Arizona Highway 80. He said the immigrants tore up water pumps, killed calves, destroyed fences and gates, stole trucks and broke into his home.

"This is my land. I´m the victim here," Mr. Barnett said. "When someone´s home and loved ones are in jeopardy and the government seemingly can´t do anything about it, I feel justified in taking matters into my own hands. And I always watch my back."

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/9/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
How does this even have enough merit to go to court? This man is simply protecting his family and his land from people who shouldn't be there at all, let alone illegally. And sueing the sheriff for not doing anything?! "Hey there mister, you just let these fine Mexican citizens continue entering the country illegally, don't you worry I'll handle it later."

Ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
"My dog is hungry, & hungry for buttocks"

What a crock of ****! If they weren't trespassing in the 1st place they wouldnt have of had a gun pointed at them

If this happened in the UK the immigrants would probably win the court case, & get the person they were claiming against thrown in jail

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I know that here in Texas, (a friend works for Border Patrol) they work in conjunction with many of the farmers, checking out their property from time to time. I find it strange that in the article the man never denies the charges that are being thrown at him. I also find it strange that he put up his own sensors and camoflauge himself to find them. I just think it would have been easier to pull a sting with border patrol agents and put up signs in Spanish alerting them that BPA patrolled the area.

It was stated in the article that the BP was aware this was a major crossing. I really have to ask if this man ever allowed the BP on his property other than to pick up illegals.

As far as the charges, I believe the man has a right to protect his property, but his legal problems coulb be blamed on himself as well. Maybe he should have documented everything on video or just called in the BPA to handle the problem.

I am also surprised that he would go out their alone knowing that the illegals, mainly Coyotes, could have gun. I am sure he was easily outnumbered. Will be interesting to see how this turns out and what kind of evidence they have against him. I really think if he loses it will be because he self incriminated himself.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Wheres the logic here??
A guy is protecting his land and some immigrants start crying for rights.
What is this world coming to.
How does someone who is not even an American yet start screaming for their rights??
They entered the country illegally and want rights??

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Afrosamurai

Every Mexican dead from Ebola

Surely, you have more to offer than this.

At least, stick to the article.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
More from the article:

Mr. Barnett told The Washington Times in a 2002 interview that he began rounding up illegal immigrants after they started to vandalize his property, northeast of Douglas along Arizona Highway 80. He said the immigrants tore up water pumps, killed calves, destroyed fences and gates, stole trucks and broke into his home.

Some of his cattle died from ingesting the plastic bottles left behind by the immigrants, he said, adding that he installed a faucet on an 8,000-gallon water tank so the immigrants would stop damaging the tank to get water.

Mr. Barnett said some of the ranch´s established immigrant trails were littered with trash 10 inches deep, including human waste, used toilet paper, soiled diapers, cigarette packs, clothes, backpacks, empty 1-gallon water bottles, chewing-gum wrappers and aluminum foil - which supposedly is used to pack the drugs the immigrant smugglers give their "clients" to keep them running.

He said he carried a pistol during his searches for the immigrants and had a rifle in his truck "for protection" against immigrant and drug smugglers, who often are armed.

I dont blame him. Those illegals are LUCKY and better be thanking God that they still have their lives.

I cant even believe this would make it to court. American citizen on his property = no rights. Illegals on someone's private property = plethera of rights. Ridiculous. Welcome to Alice and Wonderland.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'm curious, because I don't remember reading this....
But where are these illegals NOW? Are they in jail for their crimes? Or are they out on the streets being supported by tax payers while this frivolous lawsuit continues?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Yeah, lets call border patrol, they have obviously done a grade A job over the years.

The man practically did a service to the country. If he rounded up and turned in nearly as many illegals as he says he has, it is a statistical probability to certainty that at least one of them would have committed a crime while here, in addition to entering the country illegally.

With all the gang warfare going on in Mexico as a result of the drug trade, I'd say this man put his life on the line every time he patrolled, and protected a part of our border.

A drug runner might be a criminal, but that doesn't mean he isn't afraid to die, and they know damn well that a guy like this isn't afraid to shoot. Kudos to him.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
welcome to america. where illegals get rights and americans have none.

liberals love illegal immigrants. because guess who minorities usually vote for????????? there we go.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
So how does it feel to have your rights as a law abiding, tax paying citizen just simply Pissed on? Whats going on in this country is an absolute disgrace..

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Oh my goodness, those poor, poor illegals had their civil rights violated by a scary man with a pistol and dog.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

And

United States
Each state with the exception of North Carolina permits citizen arrests if the commission of felony is witnessed by the arresting citizen, or when a citizen is asked to assist in the apprehension of a suspect by police. The application of state laws varies widely with respect to misdemeanors, breaches of the peace, and felonies not witnessed by the arresting party. American citizens do not carry the authority or enjoy the legal protections of police, and are held to the principle of strict liability before the courts of civil- and criminal law including but not limited to any infringement of another's rights.[23]
Though North Carolina General Statutes have no provision for citizen's arrests, detention by private persons is permitted and apply to both civilians and police officers outside their jurisdiction.[24]
Detention, being different from an arrest in the fact that a detainee may not be transported without consent, is permitted where probable cause exists that one has committed a felony, breach of peace, physical injury to another person, or theft or destruction of property.

Mexico
Article 16 of the 1917 Constitution of Mexico allows any person to arrest a criminal found in flagrante delicto

I included the Mexican variation to be sure. And in flagrante delicto means caught in the act. It does not specify if the crime is a felony or not. Yep, the courts will bring out Old Sparky out of retirement to give him the chair. Can't have people standing up for themselves and doing legal things in the legal way. Such as detaining until the arrival of proper authorities for transfer.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I just think it would have been easier to pull a sting with border patrol agents and put up signs in Spanish alerting them that BPA patrolled the area.

It was stated in the article that the BP was aware this was a major crossing. I really have to ask if this man ever allowed the BP on his property other than to pick up illegals.

If the International Border doesn't stop them, do you really think a sign will?

I've lived and hunted in S. Texas all my life and seen ranch houses, cabins, even deer stands vandalized by *snip* (not PC, I know). What ever happened to private property? You know that in Texas you can defend life and property with "deadly force," don't you?

As for the BP, this man has turned over 12,000 aliens since 1998. Do you really think they don't know?

The article states that the BP is focused on "ports of entry" and pretty much leaves the open range on its own.

This guy is only doing what any other person would do if strangers repeatedly entered their homes.

What will you do when a group of people gather in your yard and start taking/breaking things? Watch? Give them more?

====
Mod Edit: no ethnic slurs, please.

[edit on 2/9/2009 by Badge01]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Wheres the logic here??
A guy is protecting his land and some immigrants start crying for rights.
What is this world coming to.
How does someone who is not even an American yet start screaming for their rights??
They entered the country illegally and want rights??

Absolutely right. Star for you.

What is MALDEF (Mexican-American Legal Defense Fund) doing representing Mexicans?!?!

They should lose their charter and 503(c) status! Do you realize that as a 503(c) group MALDEF is using YOUR money to do this?

I've sent an email to MALDEF (and I'm hispanic) decrying this gross waste and injustice. They will only lose credibility for this.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
So now illegals have "civil rights" once they are in American soil?, where is the law that state just that.

I will like to see how that stands in court.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The attourneys defending the illegal immigrants and the judge that allowed this to go to a jury should not be allowed to practice law. This is a blatant violation of this mans rights. Lets pray the jury has an ounce of common sense or basic knowledge of the law because this case is absurd.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I'm curious, because I don't remember reading this....
But where are these illegals NOW? Are they in jail for their crimes? Or are they out on the streets being supported by tax payers while this frivolous lawsuit continues?

Good question!

What will ICE do when the trial is over? Take the Plaintiffs and their attorneys (who we're paying for!) over to the bank? Maybe to the Sheriff's office to execute their judgment on the rancher and the deputy shreriff's homes?

This is insane!

Deny Ignorance. Now.

jw

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
welcome to america. where illegals get rights and americans have none.

liberals love illegal immigrants. because guess who minorities usually vote for????????? there we go.

OK. How ‘bout this:

Aliens/MALDEF win big. Execute judgment against rancher and take his ranch.
Bar ICE/BP from entering their ‘property’ without a warrant.
Cut border fence and open “Freedom Highway” into U.S. through their new 22,000 acre rancho.

Sell water, “chicle”(chewing gum, as hawked by kids to US ‘turistas’ across the border), tacos, maps, pan dulce, rides to town.

Get rich.

The American Dream.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join